Old 04-09-2008, 03:51 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

Default Doc for the Wiki

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 5:26 AM, Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos@br-online.de> wrote:
> Chris Mauritz wrote:

> My second problem is with the source build of all those packages.
> Building from source is something that we strongly advocate against in
> all other support venues (irc, mailing lists, probably also forums).

Well, I can probably speak for the forums :-) Yes, whenever someone
asks how to compile from source, we discourage it and provide possible
alternative methods to get the desired program/software. There are,
however, situations in which compiling from the source is the only
way. In this case, I will try to make sure the procedure does not
touch any distro-provided files.

If the software is popular and its addition to "CentOS-approved"
repository is not on the horizon, I think we should offer the correct
instructions on how to install it. Otherwise, users would go ahead
and do it anyway on their own just to mess up their systems. We just
have to make clear on the wiki that the procedure is not supported by
CentOS. Good example are seen in the Custom Kernel /Modules wiki
articles. A big warning sign is presented on those pages. The fact
is that quite a few people come to these articles for various reasons
and are being helped.

Akemi

Old 04-09-2008, 04:10 PM
"Daniel de Kok"

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 5:51 PM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> alternative methods to get the desired program/software. There are,
> however, situations in which compiling from the source is the only
> way. In this case, I will try to make sure the procedure does not
> touch any distro-provided files.

It seems plone is in RPMForge?
http://dries.ulyssis.org/apt/packages/plone/info.html

Maybe someone can help Dag and Dries updating this to the latest Plone?

Take care,
Daniel

Old 04-09-2008, 05:45 PM
"Alan Bartlett"

My second problem is with the source build of all those packages.
Building from source is something that we strongly advocate against in
all other support venues (irc, mailing lists, probably also forums).

And now I let others chime in.
Dong. We had a case in the fora a short while ago of someone deciding to build, from source, the latest version of python.
Dong. Completely wreaked his system and wanted help in attempting to recover it.

Dong. I see no problem with a guide offering instructions in building from source as long as it is thoroughly tested (as I'm sure it will be) and a warning/disclaimer along the lines of "This is an unapproved technique . . . blah, blah, . . . and if it breaks your system, you get to keep all the pieces.", etc, displayed prominently at its head.

Just my 0.02/$0.04.

Alan.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:59 PM
"Daniel de Kok"

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 7:45 PM, Alan Bartlett <ajb.stxsl@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 09/04/2008, Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos@br-online.de> wrote:
>
> > My second problem is with the source build of all those packages.
> > Building from source is something that we strongly advocate against in
> > all other support venues (irc, mailing lists, probably also forums).
> >
> > And now I let others chime in.
>
> Dong. We had a case in the fora a short while ago of someone deciding to
> build, from source, the latest version of python.

Which is a bad idea anyway, since it defies the goal of an enterprise
distribution. If there is a serious need for this (e.g. because a
major application requires it), we should consider looking into
providing Python packages that can be installed in parallel (like we
did for C3).

The thing is that we can't support it. And people will mess up their
systems with manual installation of things. And such problems are hard
to "debug".

Old 04-09-2008, 06:40 PM
"Alan Bartlett"

Which is a bad idea anyway, since it defies the goal of an enterprise
distribution. If there is a serious need for this (e.g. because a
major application requires it), we should consider looking into
providing Python packages that can be installed in parallel (like we

did for C3).

The thing is that we can't support it. And people will mess up their
systems with manual installation of things. And such problems are hard
to "debug".
That is exactly what we told the OP on the forum. And to this day I don't know if he resolved his problem or just re-installed the OS.

Alan.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:03 PM
John

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 11:10 -0400, Chris Mauritz wrote:
> John wrote:
> > I just skimed through reading it. I would like to know if you can do
> > this install on CentOS 5.1 pulling all the packages from the centos yum
> > repos? Watch out that install of Python2.4.5. A user may have both
> > versions installed at once. /usrbin/python2.4.4
> > and /usr/bin/python2.4.5 sudo make altinstall?? I assume we are not
> > breaking original apps?
> >
> > Not for the beginner at heart. Can you do it all from Originality?
> > Instead of following another article?
>
> I dealt with having multiple instances of Python by placing the newer
> version in /usr/local. It all seems to work without any problem.
>
> Hah. If those packages were available, I would not have wasted any time
> to compile them by myself. Creating custom packages is a bit beyond
> my skill level, I think...or at least I've never had the time to spend
> trying to do one by myself. If someone wanted to help me with creating
> rpms from the tarballs, I'd be happy to re-do the proposed wiki document.

Just a to clarify for me.
Just asking how many *.rpms would have to be built from the tar.gz's.
Guess I could reread your How To.....:-(

Is there a reason it want run on the install base of Python on 5.0 and
5.1? Just wanting to also know for myself when you done it did any of
the system-config tools break? Or I am confusing my self?
All of redhats config tools ran on the original install of python
correct? Plone and Zope ran on the Alternate Install of 2.4.5 right?

> Cheers,
>
> Chris
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079