-   -   Correction to HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-docs/661003-correction-howtos-installfromusbkey.html)

Yves Bellefeuille 04-29-2012 06:30 PM

Correction to HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey

There's a mistake in HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey , so I'd like to ask that
someone fix it, or that I be given editing rights.

The mistake is that in the section on CentOS 6, step 8, the correct
command is "syslinux /dev/sdb1" (only).

Also, although this isn't a mistake, I'd like to suggest mentioning in
step 1 that the reason why part of the USB key has to be formatted as
ext3 is because the ISO file that will later be copied is bigger than
the maximum file size for FAT32 or VFAT.

Thanks.

--
Yves Bellefeuille <yan@storm.ca>
"La Esperanta Civito ne rifuzas anticipe la kunlaboron de erarintoj, se

Alan Bartlett 04-29-2012 10:41 PM

On 29 April 2012 19:30, Yves Bellefeuille <yan@storm.ca> wrote:
> There's a mistake in HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey , so I'd like to ask that
> someone fix it, or that I be given editing rights.
>
> The mistake is that in the section on CentOS 6, step 8, the correct
> command is "syslinux /dev/sdb1" (only).
>
> Also, although this isn't a mistake, I'd like to suggest mentioning in
> step 1 that the reason why part of the USB key has to be formatted as
> ext3 is because the ISO file that will later be copied is bigger than
> the maximum file size for FAT32 or VFAT.

Thank you, Yves. I've taken care of both of those points. Would you
like to check that it now reads correctly, please?

Alan.

Yves Bellefeuille 05-02-2012 02:07 AM

On Sunday 29 April 2012, Alan Bartlett <ajb@elrepo.org> wrote:

> Thank you, Yves. I've taken care of both of those points. Would you
> like to check that it now reads correctly, please?

There are a few more points that should be added. They should all appear
after the end of the current list.

During the installation process, the user is asked "What type of media
contains the installation image?" The user should select the first
partition on the USB key, which usually appears in the menu under "Hard
drive", then "/dev/sdb1".

After partitioning, the user is asked whether to install the Grub boot
loader and where to install it. After booting from the USB key, the BIOS
thinks that the USB key is the first drive. To install the Grub boot
loader on the hard drive, which is the usual case, the user must change
the order of the hard drives using the Grub installation options.

After the Grub installation options, the following error message
appears: "Missing ISO 9660 image: The installer has tried to mount image
#1, but cannot find it on the hard drive". The installation program is
looking for the ISO file on the first partition of the USB key, but it's
on the second partition. The user should go to a terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F2),
unmount the first partition of the USB key ("umount /mnt/isodir"), mount
the second partition ("mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb2 /mnt/isodir"), return to
the installation program (Ctrl-Alt-F6) and choose "Retry".

(Unmounting /dev/sdb1 doesn't interfere with the installation process. I
tried creating a link from /dev/sdb1 to the ISO image, but that didn't
work, because /dev/sdb1 contains a VFAT or FAT32 flle system which
doesn't support links.)

Alan Bartlett 05-02-2012 02:53 AM

On 2 May 2012 03:07, Yves Bellefeuille <yan@storm.ca> wrote:

> There are a few more points that should be added. They should all appear
> after the end of the current list.
>
> During the installation process, the user is asked "What type of media
> contains the installation image?" The user should select the first
> partition on the USB key, which usually appears in the menu under "Hard
> drive", then "/dev/sdb1".
>
> After partitioning, the user is asked whether to install the Grub boot
> loader and where to install it. After booting from the USB key, the BIOS
> thinks that the USB key is the first drive. To install the Grub boot
> loader on the hard drive, which is the usual case, the user must change
> the order of the hard drives using the Grub installation options.
>
> After the Grub installation options, the following error message
> appears: "Missing ISO 9660 image: The installer has tried to mount image
> #1, but cannot find it on the hard drive". The installation program is
> looking for the ISO file on the first partition of the USB key, but it's
> on the second partition. The user should go to a terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F2),
> unmount the first partition of the USB key ("umount /mnt/isodir"), mount
> the second partition ("mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb2 /mnt/isodir"), return to
> the installation program (Ctrl-Alt-F6) and choose "Retry".
>
> (Unmounting /dev/sdb1 doesn't interfere with the installation process. I
> tried creating a link from /dev/sdb1 to the ISO image, but that didn't
> work, because /dev/sdb1 contains a VFAT or FAT32 flle system which
> doesn't support links.)

As that is more that a couple of simple tweaks, I think it would be
best for me to "wave" in the general direction of the page's original
author -- Phil Schaffner -- to draw his attention to your suggestion
and thus allow him to merge it in.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Alan.

Phil Schaffner 05-07-2012 02:05 PM

Yves Bellefeuille wrote on 05/01/2012 10:07 PM:
> On Sunday 29 April 2012, Alan Bartlett<ajb@elrepo.org> wrote:
>
>> Thank you, Yves. I've taken care of both of those points. Would you
>> like to check that it now reads correctly, please?
> There are a few more points that should be added. They should all appear
> after the end of the current list.
>
> During the installation process, the user is asked "What type of media
> contains the installation image?" The user should select the first
> partition on the USB key, which usually appears in the menu under "Hard
> drive", then "/dev/sdb1".
>
> After partitioning, the user is asked whether to install the Grub boot
> loader and where to install it. After booting from the USB key, the BIOS
> thinks that the USB key is the first drive. To install the Grub boot
> loader on the hard drive, which is the usual case, the user must change
> the order of the hard drives using the Grub installation options.
>
> After the Grub installation options, the following error message
> appears: "Missing ISO 9660 image: The installer has tried to mount image
> #1, but cannot find it on the hard drive". The installation program is
> looking for the ISO file on the first partition of the USB key, but it's
> on the second partition. The user should go to a terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F2),
> unmount the first partition of the USB key ("umount /mnt/isodir"), mount
> the second partition ("mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb2 /mnt/isodir"), return to
> the installation program (Ctrl-Alt-F6) and choose "Retry".
>
> (Unmounting /dev/sdb1 doesn't interfere with the installation process. I
> tried creating a link from /dev/sdb1 to the ISO image, but that didn't
> work, because /dev/sdb1 contains a VFAT or FAT32 flle system which
> doesn't support links.)

Thanks for the suggestions, and the help editing.. I will try to get to
it soon.

Phil

Phil Schaffner 05-11-2012 08:27 PM

Correction to HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey

Yves Bellefeuille wrote on 05/01/2012 10:07 PM:
> There are a few more points that should be added. They should all appear
> after the end of the current list.

I finally got around to this. Please review the resulting changes, and
thanks again for the valuable advice.

Phil

Yves Bellefeuille 05-12-2012 03:18 AM

Correction to HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey

On Friday 11 May 2012, Phil Schaffner <Philip.R.Schaffner@nasa.gov>
wrote:

> I finally got around to this.

Thanks!

> Please review the resulting changes, and thanks again for the valuable
> advice.

At number 14, the example partition should be /dev/sda1, not /dev/sda2,
and "whatever device corresponds to the second USB partition" should be
"the first USB partition".

In fact, I think that the USB key will probably be /dev/sdb, not
/dev/sda, but you do specify that the user should choose the first
partition on the USB key, so the user can decide what's appropriate.

At number 15, I think I made a mistake. The BIOS *may* think that the
USB key is the first drive, but not necessarily. I think that this
depends on whether the user uses Grub or not. In any event, I suggest
"the BIOS may think that the USB key is the first drive", and "the user
may have to change the order of the hard drives".

As I said, this is my mistake. Sorry

At number 16, the example drive for the "mount" command should be the
same as the one mentioned at number 14, so if number 14 refers to
/dev/sda1, then number 16 should say "mount -t ext3 /dev/sda2
/mnt/isodir" (rather then /dev/sdb2).

Thanks again.

Yves

Phil Schaffner 05-12-2012 03:31 PM

Yves Bellefeuille wrote on 05/11/2012 11:18 PM:
> At number 14, the example partition should be /dev/sda1, not /dev/sda2,
> and "whatever device corresponds to the second USB partition" should be
> "the first USB partition".

I got confused between the installation boot and the ISO image devices.

> In fact, I think that the USB key will probably be /dev/sdb, not
> /dev/sda, but you do specify that the user should choose the first
> partition on the USB key, so the user can decide what's appropriate.

I know in at least some of my tests it was /dev/sda but probably depends
on the BIOS - need to test again with the updates.

> At number 15, I think I made a mistake. The BIOS*may* think that the
> USB key is the first drive, but not necessarily. I think that this
> depends on whether the user uses Grub or not. In any event, I suggest
> "the BIOS may think that the USB key is the first drive", and "the user
> may have to change the order of the hard drives".
>
> As I said, this is my mistake. Sorry

I tried to clarify. See how it reads now.

> At number 16, the example drive for the "mount" command should be the
> same as the one mentioned at number 14, so if number 14 refers to
> /dev/sda1, then number 16 should say "mount -t ext3 /dev/sda2
> /mnt/isodir" (rather then /dev/sdb2).

I should have caught that.

Anybody know where to find the bug mentioned in #7? I can't seem to
turn it up. Maybe after another cup of coffee. :-)

Thanks again,
Phil