FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS Docs

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-07-2008, 06:45 PM
John
 
Default Wiki Link

Ralph, Akemi, and Ned

http://wiki.centos.org/HardwareList/Nvidia_Graphics

That will be the Link.
--
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 04-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Ned Slider
 
Default Wiki Link

John wrote:

Ralph, Akemi, and Ned

http://wiki.centos.org/HardwareList/Nvidia_Graphics

That will be the Link.


Thanks John. I should be able to have a bash at the RPMForge/dkms method
in about a week (unless someone beats me to it!).


Ned
_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 04-07-2008, 07:56 PM
"Akemi Yagi"
 
Default Wiki Link

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 12:41 PM, Ned Slider <nedslider@f2s.com> wrote:
> John wrote:
>
> > Ralph, Akemi, and Ned
> >
> > http://wiki.centos.org/HardwareList/Nvidia_Graphics
> >
> > That will be the Link.
> >
>
> Thanks John. I should be able to have a bash at the RPMForge/dkms method in
> about a week (unless someone beats me to it!).
>
> Ned

I suppose this page will have a description for the differences
between the three methods and how to choose one. ??

Akemi
_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 04-07-2008, 09:01 PM
John
 
Default Wiki Link

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 12:56 -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 12:41 PM, Ned Slider <nedslider@f2s.com> wrote:
> > John wrote:
> >
> > > Ralph, Akemi, and Ned
> > >
> > > http://wiki.centos.org/HardwareList/Nvidia_Graphics
> > >
> > > That will be the Link.
> > >
> >
> > Thanks John. I should be able to have a bash at the RPMForge/dkms method in
> > about a week (unless someone beats me to it!).
> >
> > Ned
>
> I suppose this page will have a description for the differences
> between the three methods and how to choose one. ??
>
> Akemi

Sure thing...Here we go :-)
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS-docs mailing list
> CentOS-docs@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
--
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 04-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Ned Slider
 
Default Wiki Link

Akemi Yagi wrote:

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 12:41 PM, Ned Slider <nedslider@f2s.com> wrote:

John wrote:


Ralph, Akemi, and Ned

http://wiki.centos.org/HardwareList/Nvidia_Graphics

That will be the Link.


Thanks John. I should be able to have a bash at the RPMForge/dkms method in
about a week (unless someone beats me to it!).

Ned


I suppose this page will have a description for the differences
between the three methods and how to choose one. ??

Akemi


That would be great - thanks for volunteering!!!

I was kind of avoiding that one due to lack of experience with methods 1
& 3. I went straight with method 2 and it has worked great for me, the
obvious advantage being that "it just works" upon a kernel update. YMMV


What did you have in mind? A separate introductory and/or summary
section, or a pros & cons for each section and leave the reader to make
up their own mind which is best for them (I tend to prefer the latter
option).





_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 04-07-2008, 09:43 PM
John
 
Default Wiki Link

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 22:23 +0100, Ned Slider wrote:
> Akemi Yagi wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 12:41 PM, Ned Slider <nedslider@f2s.com> wrote:
> >> John wrote:
> >>
> >>> Ralph, Akemi, and Ned
> >>>
> >>> http://wiki.centos.org/HardwareList/Nvidia_Graphics
> >>>
> >>> That will be the Link.
> >>>
> >> Thanks John. I should be able to have a bash at the RPMForge/dkms method in
> >> about a week (unless someone beats me to it!).
> >>
> >> Ned
> >
> > I suppose this page will have a description for the differences
> > between the three methods and how to choose one. ??
> >
> > Akemi
>
> That would be great - thanks for volunteering!!!
>
> I was kind of avoiding that one due to lack of experience with methods 1
> & 3. I went straight with method 2 and it has worked great for me, the
> obvious advantage being that "it just works" upon a kernel update. YMMV
>

"What did you have in mind? A separate introductory and/or summary
section, or a pros & cons for each section and leave the reader to make
up their own mind which is best for them (I tend to prefer the latter
option)."

Now that sounds good to me. Like a comparative analysys and let the reader decide on what method they want to use.



>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS-docs mailing list
> CentOS-docs@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
--
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 04-07-2008, 09:46 PM
"Akemi Yagi"
 
Default Wiki Link

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Ned Slider <nedslider@f2s.com> wrote:
>
> Akemi Yagi wrote:
> >
> > I suppose this page will have a description for the differences
> > between the three methods and how to choose one. ??
>
> I was kind of avoiding that one due to lack of experience with methods 1 &
> 3. I went straight with method 2 and it has worked great for me, the obvious
> advantage being that "it just works" upon a kernel update. YMMV
>
> What did you have in mind? A separate introductory and/or summary section,
> or a pros & cons for each section and leave the reader to make up their own
> mind which is best for them (I tend to prefer the latter option).

I would let the user decide. We just need to provide enough info for
each method so that they can choose.

Akemi
_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 04-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Ned Slider
 
Default Wiki Link

John wrote:

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 22:23 +0100, Ned Slider wrote:

Akemi Yagi wrote:

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 12:41 PM, Ned Slider <nedslider@f2s.com> wrote:

John wrote:


Ralph, Akemi, and Ned

http://wiki.centos.org/HardwareList/Nvidia_Graphics

That will be the Link.


Thanks John. I should be able to have a bash at the RPMForge/dkms method in
about a week (unless someone beats me to it!).

Ned

I suppose this page will have a description for the differences
between the three methods and how to choose one. ??

Akemi

That would be great - thanks for volunteering!!!

I was kind of avoiding that one due to lack of experience with methods 1
& 3. I went straight with method 2 and it has worked great for me, the
obvious advantage being that "it just works" upon a kernel update. YMMV




"What did you have in mind? A separate introductory and/or summary
section, or a pros & cons for each section and leave the reader to make
up their own mind which is best for them (I tend to prefer the latter
option)."


Now that sounds good to me. Like a comparative analysys and let the reader decide on what method they want to use.



Agreed it's best to let the reader decide. The problem IMHO with a
direct comparative analysis is that one method is bound to come out on
top so you are in danger of making the decision for the reader - hence
my suggestion of a pros & cons section within each method. Keeps them
separated and avoids any direct comparison whilst still affording the
reader enough information to make an informed choice which is best for
them. It forces the reader to make the decision based on what criteria
are important to them rather than making it for them.


_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 04-07-2008, 10:30 PM
"Akemi Yagi"
 
Default Wiki Link

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 3:20 PM, Ned Slider <nedslider@f2s.com> wrote:

> Agreed it's best to let the reader decide. The problem IMHO with a direct
> comparative analysis is that one method is bound to come out on top so you
> are in danger of making the decision for the reader - hence my suggestion of
> a pros & cons section within each method. Keeps them separated and avoids
> any direct comparison whilst still affording the reader enough information
> to make an informed choice which is best for them. It forces the reader to
> make the decision based on what criteria are important to them rather than
> making it for them.

Way to go, Ned.

Akemi
_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 04-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Ned Slider
 
Default Wiki Link

Akemi Yagi wrote:



Way to go, Ned.

Akemi


You're too kind!

Question: I already have the RPMForge/dkms driver installed on all my
machine(s). How do I best disable/remove the drivers to simulate a fresh
install for the purpose of taking notes. I can't remember if I had to
configure anything or if it was just a case of installing the RPMForge
repo and yum installing dkms and the appropriate nvidia driver. I guess
I need to rpm -e them and manually reconfigure xorg.conf back to using
the original xorg "nv" driver? (just checked - I do have a backup of my
original pristine vanilla xorg.conf using the "nv" driver)


_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:26 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org