Old 04-08-2008, 12:42 AM
"Akemi Yagi"

Default Wiki Link

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Ned Slider <nedslider@f2s.com> wrote:
> Akemi Yagi wrote:
>
> > Way to go, Ned.
> >
> > Akemi
>
> You're too kind!
>
> Question: I already have the RPMForge/dkms driver installed on all my
> machine(s). How do I best disable/remove the drivers to simulate a fresh
> install for the purpose of taking notes. I can't remember if I had to
> configure anything or if it was just a case of installing the RPMForge repo
> and yum installing dkms and the appropriate nvidia driver. I guess I need to
> rpm -e them and manually reconfigure xorg.conf back to using the original
> xorg "nv" driver? (just checked - I do have a backup of my original pristine
> vanilla xorg.conf using the "nv" driver)

Regarding the installation, yum install should take care of
dependencies for things like dkms. dkms intern pulls gcc and
kernel-devel among other things. There is one potential issue here.
If the user is running a non-standard kernel (such as xen), then
kernel-devel must be installed manually (kernel-xen-devel, for
example).

If you are going to delete the nvidia driver to do a simulation, I
think rpm -e removes *most* of the stuff installed. I say "most"
because, the original installation of nvidia.ko may have created
symlinks in /lib/modules/ and these symlinks are apparently NOT
removed by the uninstall script of the nvidia rpm. This may no be so
important for your testing but just in case.

Akemi

Old 04-08-2008, 05:55 AM
John

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 17:42 -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Ned Slider <nedslider@f2s.com> wrote:
> > Akemi Yagi wrote:
> >
> > > Way to go, Ned.
> > >
> > > Akemi
> >
> > You're too kind!
> >
> > Question: I already have the RPMForge/dkms driver installed on all my
> > machine(s). How do I best disable/remove the drivers to simulate a fresh
> > install for the purpose of taking notes. I can't remember if I had to
> > configure anything or if it was just a case of installing the RPMForge repo
> > and yum installing dkms and the appropriate nvidia driver. I guess I need to
> > rpm -e them and manually reconfigure xorg.conf back to using the original
> > xorg "nv" driver? (just checked - I do have a backup of my original pristine
> > vanilla xorg.conf using the "nv" driver)
>
> Regarding the installation, yum install should take care of
> dependencies for things like dkms. dkms intern pulls gcc and
> kernel-devel among other things. There is one potential issue here.
> If the user is running a non-standard kernel (such as xen), then
> kernel-devel must be installed manually (kernel-xen-devel, for
> example).

Mention of The Xen-Kernel:

Just a thought here. I never used the proprietary nvidia driver with the
xen kernel on any install of it I've done. But I beg to know why would
you even want to run that when you running Xen? If your running Xen then
your not after video acceleration correct? You after I/O and Memory
Bandwidth.

It's not a problem if you two want to validate a driver install of this
weird nature. I can do this. I have the extra machine for testing
purposes. The only type of people that would maybe use this combination
would be strictly Developers. I can see someone now, I have a Dell
Poweredge 1950 with a on board nvidia card and it runs the Xen
Hypervisor!!! Only connection to it is a Serial Console!

> If you are going to delete the nvidia driver to do a simulation, I
> think rpm -e removes *most* of the stuff installed. I say "most"
> because, the original installation of nvidia.ko may have created
> symlinks in /lib/modules/ and these symlinks are apparently NOT
> removed by the uninstall script of the nvidia rpm. This may no be so
> important for your testing but just in case.
>
> Akemi
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

Old 04-08-2008, 08:53 AM
Ralph Angenendt

John wrote:
> Mention of The Xen-Kernel:
>
> Just a thought here. I never used the proprietary nvidia driver with the
> xen kernel on any install of it I've done. But I beg to know why would
> you even want to run that when you running Xen? If your running Xen then
> your not after video acceleration correct? You after I/O and Memory
> Bandwidth.

I'd like to have xen on my Desktop machine, which has 4GB of RAM. The nv
driver doesn't really work with the card in my machine when using 2
monitors.

But: Don't even bother to test, the nvidia driver does not work with a
xen kernel. There have been patches floating around, which lead to a
very unstable system.

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 04-08-2008, 10:50 AM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 1:53 AM, Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos@br-online.de> wrote:
> John wrote:
> > Mention of The Xen-Kernel:
> >
> > Just a thought here. I never used the proprietary nvidia driver with the
> > xen kernel on any install of it I've done. But I beg to know why would
> > you even want to run that when you running Xen? If your running Xen then
> > your not after video acceleration correct? You after I/O and Memory
> > Bandwidth.
>
> I'd like to have xen on my Desktop machine, which has 4GB of RAM. The nv
> driver doesn't really work with the card in my machine when using 2
> monitors.
>
> But: Don't even bother to test, the nvidia driver does not work with a
> xen kernel. There have been patches floating around, which lead to a
> very unstable system.

OK, don't bother with anything. To avoid any complication, let's
change the example to -PAE.

If the user is running a non-standard kernel (such as kernel-PAE), then
the -devel package must be installed manually (kernel-PAE-devel, for
example).

Akemi

Old 04-09-2008, 01:30 PM
John

On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 10:53 +0200, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> John wrote:
> > Mention of The Xen-Kernel:
> >
> > Just a thought here. I never used the proprietary nvidia driver with the
> > xen kernel on any install of it I've done. But I beg to know why would
> > you even want to run that when you running Xen? If your running Xen then
> > your not after video acceleration correct? You after I/O and Memory
> > Bandwidth.
>
> I'd like to have xen on my Desktop machine, which has 4GB of RAM. The nv
> driver doesn't really work with the card in my machine when using 2
> monitors.
>
> But: Don't even bother to test, the nvidia driver does not work with a
> xen kernel. There have been patches floating around, which lead to a
> very unstable system.

Noted Thanks... As a side note VM-Ware does work with it. The Graphics
response time is much better.
This does bring a thought to my mind I have a dual output ATI in my
sisters machine. Wonder how that works? I'll check that out later on.

> Cheers,
>
> Ralph
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079