Old 04-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Ned Slider

Default becoming root

Rafał Ślubowski wrote:

I've mentioned consolehelper just because I think I can write such
section. Of course it should be proofreaded because of my English.

Brilliant. I'm more than happy to proof read if you would be so kind as
to write something

I've put up a draft page here to get us started:

http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/BecomingRoot

...thanks Alain for tidying it up

Do you have edit permissions? If not, hopefully Ralph can get you fixed up.

On an additional note, whilst investigating consolehelper, I also noticed
the "Run Command..." option on the KDE Menu (...). Perhaps a gnome
user could advise if gnome has similar functionality?

There is a gnomesu (http://xsu.sourceforge.net/) project.

Is this included on a standard CentOS gnome install?

Old 04-08-2008, 10:10 PM
"Rafał Ślubowski"

2008/4/8, Ned Slider <nedslider@f2s.com>:

> I've put up a draft page here to get us started:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/BecomingRoot
>
> Do you have edit permissions? If not, hopefully Ralph can get you fixed up.

No, I have edit permissions only for Laptops. My username is
RafalSlubowski - Ralph, could you give me rights to TipsAndTricks?

> > There is a gnomesu (http://xsu.sourceforge.net/) project.
>
> Is this included on a standard CentOS gnome install?

I don't think so - yum cannot find it.

Regards,
Rafal

Old 04-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Ned Slider

Rafał Ślubowski wrote:

There is a gnomesu (http://xsu.sourceforge.net/) project.

Is this included on a standard CentOS gnome install?

I don't think so - yum cannot find it.

OK, thanks, I might have to fire up gnome and have a browse through the
menus to see if there's anything similar to the "Run Command..." in KDE.

One would think gnome would have some sort of GUI run as root applet
somewhere??

Old 04-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Rafał Ślubowski wrote:
> 2008/4/8, Ned Slider <nedslider@f2s.com>:
>
> > I've put up a draft page here to get us started:
> >
> > http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/BecomingRoot
> >
> > Do you have edit permissions? If not, hopefully Ralph can get you fixed up.
>
> No, I have edit permissions only for Laptops. My username is
> RafalSlubowski - Ralph, could you give me rights to TipsAndTricks?

Go ahead. I gave you permissions on that page.

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 04-09-2008, 01:38 PM
John

On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 17:30 +0100, Ned Slider wrote:
> Rafał Ślubowski wrote:
> > 2008/4/6, Alan Bartlett <ajb.stxsl@googlemail.com>:
> >
> >> Perhaps a mention of sudo and sudoers could also be made?
> >
> > And consolehelper for GUI users.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Rafal
>
> Hi Rafał,
>
> I've had a quick look at consolehelper, and I'm still not sure I fully
> understand how it works, at least enough to be able to write a section
> on it. I understand it uses pam authentication when running a program
> that requires root privileges and requests the root password
> (system-config-services being an example), but I don't fully understand
> how a user would use it, although I see any application could
> potentially be configured in /etc/pam.d/
>
> My initial intent was to write a short article to be useful to beginners
> explaining how they could become root in order to achieve common tasks
> (as opposed to logging in to the GUI desktop as root!) and highlight
> some of the common pitfalls ('su' vs 'su -'), as much to serve as a
> quick FAQ for forum helpers to link to rather than explaining it over
> and over again. I fear it is beyond my abilities/knowledge to expand the
> article much further than this.
>
> How far such an article should be expanded, and whether we wish to cover
> every conceivable method for launching something with root privileges is
> probably not something for me to answer. That said, if you'd (or anyone)
> like to expand on my initial remit and write an additional section,
> please feel free
>
> On an additional note, whilst investigating consolehelper, I also
> noticed the "Run Command..." option on the KDE Menu (for those who don't
> use KDE, it's a graphical run box that also allows one to specify a
> different users credentials). I could see how that would be useful to
> new users who are afraid of the command line, and should maybe be
> included, but again I have no knowledge of the underlying mechanism by
> which it works. Perhaps a gnome user could advise if gnome has similar
> functionality?

As I remember Gnome did have an Application Launcher "run cmd". It is
not in the current or last versions. I do not know when it was took out.
Create Launcher is similiar. Ther's Lauch App in app picker?

> Regards,
>
> Ned

~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

Old 04-09-2008, 01:48 PM
John

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 00:10 +0200, Rafał Ślubowski wrote:
> 2008/4/8, Ned Slider <nedslider@f2s.com>:
>
> > I've put up a draft page here to get us started:
> >
> > http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/BecomingRoot
> >
> > Do you have edit permissions? If not, hopefully Ralph can get you fixed up.
>
> No, I have edit permissions only for Laptops. My username is
> RafalSlubowski - Ralph, could you give me rights to TipsAndTricks?
>
> > > There is a gnomesu (http://xsu.sourceforge.net/) project.
> >
> > Is this included on a standard CentOS gnome install?

NO.. It states that on the Project Page...

> I don't think so - yum cannot find it.
>
> Regards,
> Rafal
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

Old 04-09-2008, 05:19 PM
"Alan Bartlett"

As I remember Gnome did have an Application Launcher "run cmd". It is
not in the current or last versions. I do not know when it was took out.
Create Launcher is similiar. Ther's Lauch App in app picker?

I seem to recall <Alt><F2> from the Gnome desktop brings up a "run menu". Whether one can run a command with enhanced powers, I'm not sure.

Alan.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:04 PM
John

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 18:19 +0100, Alan Bartlett wrote:
> On 09/04/2008, John <jses27@gmail.com> wrote:
> As I remember Gnome did have an Application Launcher "run
> cmd". It is
> not in the current or last versions. I do not know when it was
> took out.
> Create Launcher is similiar. Ther's Lauch App in app picker?
>

> I seem to recall <Alt><F2> from the Gnome desktop brings up a "run
> menu". Whether one can run a command with enhanced powers, I'm not
> sure.

Yep that would be it. I think it used to be in the Application Menu. I
guess it is a ALT-F2 now instead of a click click app.
> Alan.
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

Old 04-09-2008, 09:28 PM
"Rafał Ślubowski"

2008/4/9, Alan Bartlett <ajb.stxsl@googlemail.com>:

> I seem to recall <Alt><F2> from the Gnome desktop brings up a "run menu".
> Whether one can run a command with enhanced powers, I'm not sure.

Yes, <Alt><F2> brings "run menu", but there is no place to tell which
user should run that command. Of course, one can type 'sudo -s' and
pick checkbox "Run in terminal".

Regards,
Rafal

Old 04-17-2008, 07:38 PM
"Rafał Ślubowski"

2008/4/8, Ned Slider <nedslider@f2s.com>:
> Rafał Ślubowski wrote:
> > I've mentioned consolehelper just because I think I can write such
> > section. Of course it should be proofreaded because of my English.
>
> Brilliant. I'm more than happy to proof read if you would be so kind as to
> write something

I wrote it. Please, feel free to correct my errors.

Regards,
Rafal