Old 04-05-2008, 11:15 PM
John

Default To do List

http://wiki.centos.org/ToDo

I come accross this:

""Add pages for nvidia / ati support ? maybe a howto for each ?
* Should be put into the HardwareList. If sh ./install.bin is
enough, I'll give it a shot later on.

* ATI is there. I cannot do nvidia at the moment, as I cannot stop
X on my nvidia machine (which is at work).""

I could do the nvidia install it is pretty simple. I'm just not clear on
the Updating deal the guy on the regular list was talking about this
week. I'll research it further for the legacy and new cards. I may "try"
to do the dkms version. I said try.
--
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

Old 04-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Ned Slider

John wrote:

I could do the nvidia install it is pretty simple. I'm just not clear on
the Updating deal the guy on the regular list was talking about this
week. I'll research it further for the legacy and new cards. I may "try"
to do the dkms version. I said try.

I could maybe assist with nvidia/dkms from RPMForge method. I have both
the legacy 96xx and current 9755 series dkms RPMForge packaged drivers
in use at present.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:03 AM
John

On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 00:25 +0100, Ned Slider wrote:
> John wrote:
>

> > I could do the nvidia install it is pretty simple. I'm just not clear on
> > the Updating deal the guy on the regular list was talking about this
> > week. I'll research it further for the legacy and new cards. I may "try"
> > to do the dkms version. I said try.
>
> I could maybe assist with nvidia/dkms from RPMForge method. I have both
> the legacy 96xx and current 9755 series dkms RPMForge packaged drivers
> in use at present.

Sure we could do that no problem. OK I think maybe what I am thinking of
is writing it in text. Then we can collaberate on it then add the
screenshots etc for the dkms part?

~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

Old 04-06-2008, 12:14 AM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 5:03 PM, John <jses27@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 00:25 +0100, Ned Slider wrote:
> > John wrote:
> >

> > > I could do the nvidia install it is pretty simple. I'm just not clear on
> > > the Updating deal the guy on the regular list was talking about this
> > > week. I'll research it further for the legacy and new cards. I may "try"
> > > to do the dkms version. I said try.
> >
> > I could maybe assist with nvidia/dkms from RPMForge method. I have both
> > the legacy 96xx and current 9755 series dkms RPMForge packaged drivers
> > in use at present.
>
> Sure we could do that no problem. OK I think maybe what I am thinking of
> is writing it in text. Then we can collaberate on it then add the
> screenshots etc for the dkms part?

And it would be great if someone can write about the kmdl method
offered by ATrpms. In some situations it is a better choice than the
dkms.

Akemi

Old 04-06-2008, 12:28 AM
Ned Slider

Akemi Yagi wrote:

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 5:03 PM, John <jses27@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 00:25 +0100, Ned Slider wrote:
> John wrote:

Sure we could do that no problem. OK I think maybe what I am thinking of
is writing it in text. Then we can collaberate on it then add the
screenshots etc for the dkms part?

The Wiki is a collaborative tool so we can use that. Once a page is
started, others can add sections to it. It need not be publicly linked
until ready for public consumption.

An outline before we start might be useful. There appears to be 3 methods:

1. Install direct from nvidia
2. Install from RPMForge - dkms/nvidia rpm
3. Install from ATrpms

A section covering each. The next (obvious) question a user will
probably ask is which method should I use? I'm not best equipped to
answer that or how best that is dealt with.

John - have you created a Wiki user account yet? Once you have, please
post your Wiki username to the list and Ralph can get you added. Users
don't initially have permissions to do anything until Ralph adds them (a
practice designed to limit spam etc and hopefully not too restrictive to
genuine contributors!).

And it would be great if someone can write about the kmdl method
offered by ATrpms. In some situations it is a better choice than the
dkms.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that so it won't be me

Old 04-06-2008, 12:41 AM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 5:28 PM, Ned Slider <nedslider@f2s.com> wrote:
> Akemi Yagi wrote:

> An outline before we start might be useful. There appears to be 3 methods:
>
> 1. Install direct from nvidia
> 2. Install from RPMForge - dkms/nvidia rpm
> 3. Install from ATrpms

> > And it would be great if someone can write about the kmdl method
> > offered by ATrpms. In some situations it is a better choice than the
> > dkms.
> >
> Sorry, I'm not familiar with that so it won't be me

If no one can write, I would try though I have used it only once...

Akemi

Old 04-06-2008, 01:32 AM
John

On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 17:41 -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 5:28 PM, Ned Slider <nedslider@f2s.com> wrote:
> > Akemi Yagi wrote:

> > An outline before we start might be useful. There appears to be 3 methods:
> >
> > 1. Install direct from nvidia
> > 2. Install from RPMForge - dkms/nvidia rpm
> > 3. Install from ATrpms
>
> > > And it would be great if someone can write about the kmdl method
> > > offered by ATrpms. In some situations it is a better choice than the
> > > dkms.
> > >
> > Sorry, I'm not familiar with that so it won't be me
>
> If no one can write, I would try though I have used it only once...

I'll have a look see at that one also. I'll research it and go to the
ATrpms site.

> Akemi
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

Old 04-06-2008, 01:42 AM
John

On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 01:28 +0100, Ned Slider wrote:
> Akemi Yagi wrote:
> >>
> >> Sure we could do that no problem. OK I think maybe what I am thinking of
> >> is writing it in text. Then we can collaberate on it then add the
> >> screenshots etc for the dkms part?
>
> The Wiki is a collaborative tool so we can use that. Once a page is
> started, others can add sections to it. It need not be publicly linked
> until ready for public consumption.
>
> An outline before we start might be useful. There appears to be 3 methods:
>
> 1. Install direct from nvidia
> 2. Install from RPMForge - dkms/nvidia rpm
> 3. Install from ATrpms
>
> A section covering each. The next (obvious) question a user will
> probably ask is which method should I use? I'm not best equipped to
> answer that or how best that is dealt with.
>
> John - have you created a Wiki user account yet? Once you have, please
> post your Wiki username to the list and Ralph can get you added. Users
> don't initially have permissions to do anything until Ralph adds them (a
> practice designed to limit spam etc and hopefully not too restrictive to
> genuine contributors!).

Ralph,
UserName: JohnStanley

Old 04-06-2008, 06:57 AM
John

On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 17:41 -0700, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 5:28 PM, Ned Slider <nedslider@f2s.com> wrote:
> > Akemi Yagi wrote:

> > An outline before we start might be useful. There appears to be 3 methods:
> >
> > 1. Install direct from nvidia
> > 2. Install from RPMForge - dkms/nvidia rpm
> > 3. Install from ATrpms
>
> > > And it would be great if someone can write about the kmdl method
> > > offered by ATrpms. In some situations it is a better choice than the
> > > dkms.
> > >
> > Sorry, I'm not familiar with that so it won't be me
>
> If no one can write, I would try though I have used it only once...

*Grins*, Akemi

ATRpms.net.

To get a some sense of this mess one would have to;
For 32bit Install 1. and 3.. For 64bit install 1. and 2.. This is
what you were referring to correct? That you say you installed once?
I am just referring to the Legacy Graphic Cards for instance, to get
some idea from you about what you are talking about.

http://atrpms.net/name/nvidia-graphics-legacy-71xx/

1.http://atrpms.net/dist/el5/nvidia-graphics-legacy-71xx/nvidia-graphics71.86.04-71.86.04-93.el5.i386.rpm.html
2.http://atrpms.net/dist/el5/nvidia-graphics-legacy-71xx/nvidia-graphics71.86.04-kmdl-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5.centos.plus-71.86.04-93.el5.x86_64.rpm.html
3.http://dl.atrpms.net/all/nvidia-graphics71.86.04-kmdl-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5-71.86.04-93.el5.i686.rpm

I did notice while I was browsing the site it seems that the
the signed packages are expired. The package signature expired
in December of 2007. I'm pickey...
SignatureSA/SHA1, Tue Feb 5 08:19:51 2008 ([expires: 2007-12-31])
There is also no yum repo configuration for RHEL 4 or 5, or for
CentOS for that matter. So give me some more insight on this way
of the driver install from ATrpms. Like how you would direct the user
getting the appropiate files for the graphics cards.

> Akemi
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

Old 04-06-2008, 10:51 AM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 11:57 PM, John <jses27@gmail.com> wrote:

> *Grins*, Akemi
>
> ATRpms.net.
>
> To get a some sense of this mess one would have to;
> For 32bit Install 1. and 3.. For 64bit install 1. and 2.. This is
> what you were referring to correct? That you say you installed once?
> I am just referring to the Legacy Graphic Cards for instance, to get
> some idea from you about what you are talking about.
>
> http://atrpms.net/name/nvidia-graphics-legacy-71xx/
>
> 1.http://atrpms.net/dist/el5/nvidia-graphics-legacy-71xx/nvidia-graphics71.86.04-71.86.04-93.el5.i386.rpm.html
> 2.http://atrpms.net/dist/el5/nvidia-graphics-legacy-71xx/nvidia-graphics71.86.04-kmdl-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5.centos.plus-71.86.04-93.el5.x86_64.rpm.html
> 3.http://dl.atrpms.net/all/nvidia-graphics71.86.04-kmdl-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5-71.86.04-93.el5.i686.rpm
>
> I did notice while I was browsing the site it seems that the
> the signed packages are expired. The package signature expired
> in December of 2007. I'm pickey...
> SignatureSA/SHA1, Tue Feb 5 08:19:51 2008 ([expires: 2007-12-31])
> There is also no yum repo configuration for RHEL 4 or 5, or for
> CentOS for that matter. So give me some more insight on this way
> of the driver install from ATrpms. Like how you would direct the user
> getting the appropiate files for the graphics cards.

In principle, setting up the atrpms repo is not much different from
that for rpmforge. First read the Repositories wiki article and go to
http://atrpms.net/install.html for the instructions. Just like
rpmforge, CentOS-4 and -5 use .el4 and .el5, respictively.

Once the repository has been set up, all you should do is:

yum install nvidia-graphics

That should resolve dependencies for you and install necessary
packages that matche your *running* kernel.

There is a posting in the CentOS mailing list by Axel (atrpms
maintainer) with a brief explanation about the difference between
rpmforge and atrpms:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2007-August/085287.html

Two postings down in that thread, there is another one from him which
is worth the bookmark. It gives you some workaround for an error that
might occur when the above command is run for the first time. But we
can talk about it later.

Akemi

Sun Apr 6 14:30:01 2008