Old 03-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Steve-Mustafa Ismail

Default Arabic wiki pages

Hello,My wiki username is SteveMustafaI kindly request permission to create new localized wiki pages in Arabic, landing page should be*
http://wiki.centos.org/ar

Please be aware that there might*be a need to create new templates since Arabic is an RTL language.

Many thanks

Old 03-21-2012, 09:17 PM
Ralph Angenendt

On 20.03.2012 19:59, Steve-Mustafa Ismail wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My wiki username is SteveMustafa
> I kindly request permission to create new localized wiki pages in Arabic,
> landing page should be
> http://wiki.centos.org/ar

I'll ask you the same things that I ask everyone going for a
translation: Are you alone or are there a few more people doing the
translation? Do you think you can keep up with a) the existing content
and b) changing wiki pages?

I ask that, because most attempts to add a language to the wiki ended
pretty soon, after a few articles were translated.

That is nothing personal, but just a question coming out of that
experience, I personally think it is great, that you want to do
something like that.

> Please be aware that there *might* be a need to create new templates since
> Arabic is an RTL language.

I haven't the faintest idea what has to be done to support that

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 03-22-2012, 04:55 AM
Steve-Mustafa Ismail

Well, for now I stand alone to be honest, but I have hopes.
As for coping with new content, my primary focus will be to convert what is there already and then tackle the new. *In many cases, like this (
http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/CDtoDVDMedia*), there's not much to do except for the first paragraph and probably a few addition comments to be inserted as explanatory notes, but otherwise a bash script is a bash script. *

My question now is how often does current content change?
One another thing, I wasn't planning in going back historically to change all that, I was considering starting from version 6 onwards.

I will be asking around to see if there are others in the local LUG that would be willing to join in this endeavor. *

Well, the net is pretty much unicode ready these days *I'd have to literally flip everything and that is usually not much of a hassle for a template. *If the page is html standards compliant, and I'm certain it is, then in the html tag, what is needed is "dir=rtl" and voila. *Check this:*
http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/bidi-xhtml/*

Old 03-23-2012, 02:53 AM
Timothy Lee

Hi Steve-Mustafa,