Old 02-29-2012, 02:23 AM
Aleksey Tsalolikhin

Default Update to CentOS FAQ: "I installed the x86_64 version, so why do I have i386 packages, and can I get rid of them?"

Hi, thank you for maintaining the CentOS FAQ at
http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General it is very helpful.

I used to follow the procedure outlined in "22. I installed the x86_64
version, so why do I have i386 packages, and can I get rid of them?"
( http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General#head-357346ff0bf7c14b0849c3bcce39677aaca528e9
)

but it recently stopped working. the last step, "yum reinstall *"
now throws errors about missing dependencies. (This is starting from
CentOS 5.4)

However if I run "yum -y update" as the very first step, and then do
the procedure, it works beautifully.

I don't know what is the cause of this, but in the course of
troubleshooting it, I've learned that "rpm -Va | grep ^missing" will
tell me if any files are missing, and if "yum reinstall *" is even
necessary. It is faster to run the package verification and skip the
reinstall, as reinstall involves re-downloading all the packages over
the network.

I'd like to suggest the FAQ be updated with:

Run "rpm -Va | grep ^missing" to see if any files are missing. If
there are, reinstall with "yum reinstall *"

Best,
-at