Old 03-24-2008, 03:54 PM
Ned Slider

Default Wiki content policy?

Hi List,

I have a general question about the CentOS Wiki policy that's probably
best addressed here.

Akemi and I were recently discussing (read Akemi was twisting my arm!!)
the possibility of doing a Wiki article on SSL (what are SSL
certificates, certificate generation, becoming your own CA, CA-signed vs
self-signed etc), but I'm wondering on the merits of such an article for
the CentOS Wiki.

There are already good examples of general articles elsewhere and it's
not necessarily a subject that is specific to CentOS.

So, my question - should the CentOS Wiki specifically be for articles
directly relating to CentOS, or should it be a general repository for
good articles/information for CentOS users/community? Where a topic is
generic (not distro specific), is inclusion on the Wiki warranted?

Personally, I'd like to see any/all well presented and useful
documentation on the Wiki, but that's just my personal opinion and I can
understand if others deem it a place best kept to CentOS specific content.

The other issue (if the Wiki were kept CentOS specific) is where to draw
the line. Take my own Howtos/articles on securing SSH and IPTables -
both are essentially generic content applicable to all distros that
contain very little that is specific to CentOS.

Interested to hear others thoughts

Regards,

Ned

Old 03-25-2008, 09:50 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Ned Slider wrote:
> So, my question - should the CentOS Wiki specifically be for articles
> directly relating to CentOS, or should it be a general repository for good
> articles/information for CentOS users/community? Where a topic is generic
> (not distro specific), is inclusion on the Wiki warranted?
>
> Personally, I'd like to see any/all well presented and useful documentation
> on the Wiki, but that's just my personal opinion and I can understand if
> others deem it a place best kept to CentOS specific content.

If we can have a "one stop shop" (or two stop shop, if you also take the
docs section of www.centos.org), I for one have no problems with it. I
think that there is no need to do articles on the wiki, which are
explained in (more or less) detail in the Deployment Guide or other
already available documentation. But if the documentation isn't already
there ...

Cheers,

Ralph