-   -   I would like to contribute to the Wiki (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-docs/581118-i-would-like-contribute-wiki.html)

"www.alopia.com" 09-28-2011 01:20 PM

I would like to contribute to the Wiki

Hello!
My username is: MadalinGrigoreEnescuThe proposed subject of my Wiki contribution is: I want to contribute on translating CentOS Wiki pages in Romanian language (ro)
I also request a personal homepage.
Some words about myself: I am an old Red Hat/Cent OS user (using RedHat distros from 1999-2000). Romanian is my native language. I would be glad to contribute to this wiki.

Thank's!

Ralph Angenendt 09-28-2011 09:57 PM

On 09/28/2011 03:20 PM, www.alopia.com wrote:
> Hello!
>
> My username is: MadalinGrigoreEnescu
> The proposed subject of my Wiki contribution is: I want to contribute on translating CentOS Wiki pages in Romanian language (ro)

Can you talk to Manuel (he reads here and probably sees that, too), to
develop some strategy for that?

> I also request a personal homepage.

Done.

Ralph

Manuel Wolfshant 09-29-2011 12:39 AM

On 09/29/2011 12:57 AM, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> On 09/28/2011 03:20 PM, www.alopia.com wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> My username is: MadalinGrigoreEnescu
>> The proposed subject of my Wiki contribution is: I want to contribute on translating CentOS Wiki pages in Romanian language (ro)
> Can you talk to Manuel (he reads here and probably sees that, too), to
> develop some strategy for that?
I guess that reviewing each other's edits would be the best way to
go. Another hand for the ro translations would be awesome. But of course
it depends on Madalin's interests and plans.
FWIW, a long time ago i started http://wiki.centos.org/ro , but I
found out that no one really cared about the content, everybody reads
the English version anyway.

Madalin Grigore-Enescu 09-29-2011 01:49 PM

I would like to contribute to the Wiki

I would be glad to work with Manuel Wolfshant on this.

Manuel, please let me know if you use any instant messenger client. Maybe that way we can communicate faster and better on this subject using our native language...

Also, after reading your answer, I want to add a note to your opinion about Romanian CentOS users not reading romanian translations: Most of the time, I use google to search for specific answers. I bet, more romanian wiki pages will add more results on google.ro searches, naturally driving up more readers in our native language. Of course I may be wrong.

By the other way, for me, translating the wiki will certainly improve my CentOS knowledge. I see this as a way both to learn for myself and doing something positive for the comunity in the same time.

----------------
I also have a
proposal about the way we should write from now on:
----------------

I think we must use romanian diacritics like șțâăî in our translations. This is the correct way to write romanian. I see all the wiki pages are using UTF-8 character set so there will be no technical problems with that. Other from writing faster, i see no reason not to use our language specific diacritics.

Also if you agree with that Manuel my next step will be to translate the following page:

http://wiki.centos.org/Documentation

into

http://wiki.centos.org/ro/Documentation

I am requesting the rights to create/edit that page._____________________________________________ __
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org

Manuel Wolfshant 09-29-2011 01:59 PM

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ManuelWolfshant

> Also, after reading your answer, I want to add a note to your opinion
> about Romanian CentOS users not reading romanian translations: Most of
> the time, I use google to search for specific answers. I bet, more
> romanian wiki pages will add more results on google.ro searches,
> naturally driving up more readers in our native language. Of course I
> may be wrong.
I am involved in the RLUG community since it was created ( '98) and most
of the people I know would rather read the original. But if you have the
time to invest in translations, maybe this will change.

> By the other way, for me, translating the wiki will certainly improve
> my CentOS knowledge. I see this as a way both to learn for myself and
> doing something positive for the comunity in the same time.
>
> ----------------
> I also have a proposal about the way we should write from now on:
> ----------------
>
> I think we must use romanian diacritics like șțâăî in our
> translations. This is the correct way to write romanian. I see all the
> wiki pages are using UTF-8 character set so there will be no technical
> problems with that. Other from writing faster, i see no reason not to
> use our language specific diacritics.
There is a long debate around that. As long as a whole page is written
in one style only ( either with diacritics everywhere or with none ) you
have my support. Personally I usually avoid diacritics because in many
cases I had bad experience when reading pages which included them, due
to missing fonts on the rendering side. Not to mention the large use of
wrong characters ( ş instead of the correct one, ș)

> Also if you agree with that Manuel my next step will be to translate
> the following page:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/Documentation
>
> into
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/ro/Documentation