Old 09-18-2011, 03:51 AM
Yves Bellefeuille

Default Grub Installation for CentOS 5 and 6

Hello:

I've written information on installing Grub:
http://wiki.centos.org/YvesBellefeuille/Grub_Installation

I wrote this in response to requests that I update the Hard Disk Upgrade
Mini How-To I wrote a zillion years ago to add information about Grub:
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2011-August/115661.html
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2011-August/115617.html

The most suitable place would probably be CentOS Tips and Tricks:
Installation Tips.

There's already information at Tips and Tricks: Troubleshooting: How to
re-install bootstrap code (GRUB), but I think my documentation is
clearly better. :-) (Except that I don't mention an HP Smart Array
disk, about which I know nothing.)

There's also information at Tips and Tricks: Installation Tips: Start an
installation from GRUB. This is somewhat related to my documentation,
but I think that my information would be a useful addition.

Yves Bellefeuille <yan@storm.ca>
"La Esperanta Civito ne rifuzas anticipe la kunlaboron de erarintoj, se
ili konscias pri sia eraro." -- Heroldo Komunikas, n-ro 473.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Phil Schaffner

Yves Bellefeuille wrote on 09/17/2011 11:51 PM:
> Hello:
>
> I've written information on installing Grub:
> http://wiki.centos.org/YvesBellefeuille/Grub_Installation
>
> I wrote this in response to requests that I update the Hard Disk Upgrade
> Mini How-To I wrote a zillion years ago to add information about Grub:
> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2011-August/115661.html
> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2011-August/115617.html
>

> The most suitable place would probably be CentOS Tips and Tricks:
> Installation Tips.
>
> There's already information at Tips and Tricks: Troubleshooting: How to
> re-install bootstrap code (GRUB), but I think my documentation is
> clearly better. :-) (Except that I don't mention an HP Smart Array
> disk, about which I know nothing.)
>
> There's also information at Tips and Tricks: Installation Tips: Start an
> installation from GRUB. This is somewhat related to my documentation,
> but I think that my information would be a useful addition.

Very complete - probably too much so for Tips and Tricks:

"This page contains a number of shorter items that people find useful.
If you need a quick fix, you're in the right place."

I'd put it the HowTos section ("This page contains some longer HowTos
for achieving different tasks on CentOS systems."), and insert
cross-links with the old TipsAndTricks/ReinstallGRUB page as that has a
lot of existing references from forum posts.

An introductory section, describing why one might need this information
(as opposed to the ReinstallGRUB situation where something has clobbered
the existing boot record for an already-installed GRUB), would be a good
addition.

On CentOS /boot/grub/menu.lst is a symbolic link to the real file -
grub.conf. I suggest adding a note to that effect, and
"gs/menu.lst/grub.conf/".

Style comments: The page is long enough to deserve and a table of
contents. Insert near the top:

[[TableOfContents([1])]]

All the explicit numbers should be replaced by auto-generated numbers.
For example see:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Network/IPTables?action=raw

Phil

Old 09-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Ralph Angenendt

On 09/18/2011 05:42 PM, Phil Schaffner wrote:

> Very complete - probably too much so for Tips and Tricks:

Thanks for the review. I'll wait until the (small) issues you mentioned
are fixed.

Ralph

Old 09-20-2011, 01:03 AM
Yves Bellefeuille

On Sunday 18 September 2011 11:42, Phil Schaffner wrote:

> On CentOS /boot/grub/menu.lst is a symbolic link to the real file -
> grub.conf. I suggest adding a note to that effect, and
> "gs/menu.lst/grub.conf/".

Good point, and one I hadn't noticed.

> Style comments: The page is long enough to deserve and a table of
> contents. Insert near the top:
>
> [[TableOfContents([1])]]

The Table of Contents syntax is mentioned but not really explained at
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Wiki/Editing and
http://wiki.centos.org/SyntaxReference . Does [[TableOfContents([1])]]
mean "Create a table of contents from the level 1 headers"?

> All the explicit numbers should be replaced by auto-generated
> numbers. For example see:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Network/IPTables?action=raw

Ah yes, I now see that I misread the "numbered list" syntax reference.

Is it possible to automatically number lines in code, but without syntax
highlighting? The only example in the syntax reference is #!python,
which highlights Python syntax. I tried replacing #!python by #!bash,
but that didn't work.

Thanks.

Yves

Old 09-20-2011, 03:01 PM
Phil Schaffner

Yves Bellefeuille wrote on 09/19/2011 09:03 PM:
> On Sunday 18 September 2011 11:42, Phil Schaffner wrote:
>> [[TableOfContents([1])]]
>
> The Table of Contents syntax is mentioned but not really explained at
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Wiki/Editing and
> http://wiki.centos.org/SyntaxReference . Does [[TableOfContents([1])]]
> mean "Create a table of contents from the level 1 headers"?

It is rather confusing to me. The number means "down to level N" and
interacts with the directive

#pragma section-numbers M

So to use a TOC for only level 2 headers (1 level), with numbering of
sections, one would need:

#pragma section-numbers 2
[[TableOfContents([1])]]

>> All the explicit numbers should be replaced by auto-generated
>> numbers. For example see:
>>
>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Network/IPTables?action=raw
>
> Ah yes, I now see that I misread the "numbered list" syntax reference.
>
> Is it possible to automatically number lines in code, but without syntax
> highlighting? The only example in the syntax reference is #!python,
> which highlights Python syntax. I tried replacing #!python by #!bash,
> but that didn't work.

Sorry - don't know about that one.

Phil

Old 09-25-2011, 03:48 AM
Yves Bellefeuille

On Sunday 18 September 2011 11:42, Phil Schaffner wrote:

> I'd put it the HowTos section ("This page contains some longer HowTos
> for achieving different tasks on CentOS systems."), and insert
> cross-links with the old TipsAndTricks/ReinstallGRUB page as that has
> a lot of existing references from forum posts.

I think my documentation pretty much makes the existing
TipsAndTricks/ReinstallGRUB obsolete. Wouldn't it make more sense to
add a link to the new documention in TipsAndTricks/ReinstallGRUB?

Yves

Old 09-25-2011, 03:11 PM
Ralph Angenendt

On 09/20/2011 03:03 AM, Yves Bellefeuille wrote:

> Is it possible to automatically number lines in code, but without syntax
> highlighting? The only example in the syntax reference is #!python,
> which highlights Python syntax. I tried replacing #!python by #!bash,
> but that didn't work.

As far as I know that doesn't work OOTB. Moin just takes advantage of
the wiki being written in python here, I guess

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 09-26-2011, 08:19 PM
Phil Schaffner

Yves Bellefeuille wrote on 09/24/2011 11:48 PM:
> On Sunday 18 September 2011 11:42, Phil Schaffner wrote:
>
>> I'd put it the HowTos section ("This page contains some longer HowTos
>> for achieving different tasks on CentOS systems."), and insert
>> cross-links with the old TipsAndTricks/ReinstallGRUB page as that has
>> a lot of existing references from forum posts.
>
> I think my documentation pretty much makes the existing
> TipsAndTricks/ReinstallGRUB obsolete. Wouldn't it make more sense to
> add a link to the new documention in TipsAndTricks/ReinstallGRUB?

That's (half of) what I meant by cross-link. :-) IMHO the existing page
still has some value in being targeted for the more limited purpose of
re-installing GRUB when the MBR has been corrupted. Those with more
complex needs, or wishing to dig deeper, can be directed to the new page.

Phil