Old 08-12-2011, 12:29 AM
Manuel Wolfshant

Default http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/JavaRuntimeEnvironment

Hi all

According to a report made in #centos, the procedure described at
http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2010/install-sun-oracle-java-jdk-jre-7-on-fedora-centos-red-hat-rhel/
works OK for jdk 1.7
It looks pretty similar to
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/JavaRuntimeEnvironment so I updated our
page to reflect the fact the jre-1.7 can be installed using the
procedure already described in the wiki. Any objections on including jdk
( and maybe replacing the links to the binary packages with
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html. so
that the user can choose between 1.6/1.7 jre/jdk )?

Old 08-15-2011, 03:42 PM
Phil Schaffner

Manuel Wolfshant wrote on 08/11/2011 08:29 PM:
> Hi all
>
> According to a report made in #centos, the procedure described at
> http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2010/install-sun-oracle-java-jdk-jre-7-on-fedora-centos-red-hat-rhel/
> works OK for jdk 1.7
> It looks pretty similar to
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/JavaRuntimeEnvironment so I updated our
> page to reflect the fact the jre-1.7 can be installed using the
> procedure already described in the wiki.

Looks good.

> Any objections on including jdk
> ( and maybe replacing the links to the binary packages with
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html. so
> that the user can choose between 1.6/1.7 jre/jdk )?

That would no longer fit the current name of the page, and might lead to
some confusion. I'd go for a separate page for
HowTos/JavaDevelopmentKit but could be persuaded otherwise.

Phil

Old 08-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Manuel Wolfshant

On 08/15/2011 06:42 PM, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> Manuel Wolfshant wrote on 08/11/2011 08:29 PM:
>> Hi all
>>
>> According to a report made in #centos, the procedure described at
>> http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2010/install-sun-oracle-java-jdk-jre-7-on-fedora-centos-red-hat-rhel/
>> works OK for jdk 1.7
>> It looks pretty similar to
>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/JavaRuntimeEnvironment so I updated our
>> page to reflect the fact the jre-1.7 can be installed using the
>> procedure already described in the wiki.
> Looks good.
>
>> Any objections on including jdk
>> ( and maybe replacing the links to the binary packages with
>> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html. so
>> that the user can choose between 1.6/1.7 jre/jdk )?
> That would no longer fit the current name of the page, and might lead to
> some confusion. I'd go for a separate page for
> HowTos/JavaDevelopmentKit but could be persuaded otherwise.

Then maybe a single Howto/Java page, with separate links to JRE and JDK ?

Old 08-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Phil Schaffner

Manuel Wolfshant wrote on 08/15/2011 12:53 PM:
> On 08/15/2011 06:42 PM, Phil Schaffner wrote:
>> I'd go for a separate page for
>> HowTos/JavaDevelopmentKit but could be persuaded otherwise.
>>
> Then maybe a single Howto/Java page, with separate links to JRE and JDK ?

Makes sense, and I would propose that would replace the current content
on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/JavaOnCentOS - which begs the questions:

1. What else besides links goes on the higher-level page?

2. What should be preserved, if anything, from the current page?

Phil

Old 08-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Phil Schaffner

Old 08-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Manuel Wolfshant

On 08/18/2011 03:21 PM, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> Manuel Wolfshant wrote on 08/15/2011 12:53 PM:
>> On 08/15/2011 06:42 PM, Phil Schaffner wrote:
>>> I'd go for a separate page for
>>> HowTos/JavaDevelopmentKit but could be persuaded otherwise.
>>>
>> Then maybe a single Howto/Java page, with separate links to JRE and JDK ?
> Makes sense, and I would propose that would replace the current content
> on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/JavaOnCentOS
My thoughts exactly !

> - which begs the questions:
>
> 1. What else besides links goes on the higher-level page?
Explanation on the intent of the page

> 2. What should be preserved, if anything, from the current page?
maybe the "how to create your own packages by using the old .nosrc.rpm
from jpackage" part. the rest would be obsoleted.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Manuel Wolfshant

Old 08-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Phil Schaffner

Manuel Wolfshant wrote on 08/18/2011 08:26 AM:
> On 08/18/2011 03:21 PM, Phil Schaffner wrote:
>> 1. What else besides links goes on the higher-level page?
> Explanation on the intent of the page
>

>> 2. What should be preserved, if anything, from the current page?
> maybe the "how to create your own packages by using the old .nosrc.rpm
> from jpackage" part. the rest would be obsoleted.

Sounds good to me. Now if someone could just get a Round Tuit!

Phil

Old 08-18-2011, 02:52 PM
R P Herrold

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:

>> Makes sense, and I would propose that would replace the current content
>> on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/JavaOnCentOS

> My thoughts exactly !

I am missing something ... a review of google inlinks
indicates this page is widely referenced by third party sites.
Casually blowing this away without preserving at least parts
seems ill considered change for its own sake

The top part by me remains a general and valid description of
a method for getting Oracle's / Sun Java running ... not
perhaps the easiest in light of some later changes, and
perhaps not the 'ight' solution in light of the growth in
maturity of openjdk ... but that

The bottom remains a rotting trainwreck needing maintenance
every time Oracle issues an update ... shocking. Who could
have predicted that?

-- Russ herrold

Old 08-18-2011, 03:09 PM
Manuel Wolfshant

On 08/18/2011 05:52 PM, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2011, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
>
>>> Makes sense, and I would propose that would replace the current content
>>> on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/JavaOnCentOS
>> My thoughts exactly !
> I am missing something ... a review of google inlinks
> indicates this page is widely referenced by third party sites.
> Casually blowing this away without preserving at least parts
> seems ill considered change for its own sake
We are not blowing it away. It will remain the land point which will
further reference JRE and JDK. Although, now that I started to fill in
the JDK page, I am tempted to join them. But we should discuss that once
we have more info to play with in the wiki . For now I am trying to
bring the new JDK page to life ( and refine the JRE one)
> The top part by me remains a general and valid description of
> a method for getting Oracle's / Sun Java running ... not
> perhaps the easiest in light of some later changes, and
> perhaps not the 'ight' solution in light of the growth in
> maturity of openjdk ... but that
The top part written by you is exactly what we'll refine.
The last round of packages from Oracle are quite sane. You download a
$STUFF.bin, run it and
- it will ask to agree to the license
- expand into a bunch of rpm packages:
jdk-6u27-linux-i586.rpm
sun-javadb-client-10.6.2-1.1.i386.rpm
sun-javadb-common-10.6.2-1.1.i386.rpm
sun-javadb-core-10.6.2-1.1.i386.rpm
sun-javadb-demo-10.6.2-1.1.i386.rpm
sun-javadb-docs-10.6.2-1.1.i386.rpm
sun-javadb-javadoc-10.6.2-1.1.i386.rpm
- install all the packages ( if you have the needed rights)

What is still needed is a clean solution to add that to the alternatives
system
> The bottom remains a rotting trainwreck needing maintenance
> every time Oracle issues an update ... shocking. Who could
> have predicted that?

The old method to create several rpms from the tar bundle ( using
jpackage's nosrc ) is completely obsolete.

<rant mode on> Did I mention that moinmoin's syntax is awful and I
cannot believe I even thought about using it inside the company I work
for ? </rant mode off>