Old 07-21-2011, 10:07 PM
R P Herrold

Default C6 needs a FAQ entry for GUI setup ( tweaking xorg.conf )

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:

> As some of you probably already know, since RHEL 6 xorg.conf does
> not exist any more by default.

it is not created by default any more, but is honored if
present is my understanding, as for multi-head, and for
solving tricky scan problems

Based on the questions asked on IRC, I
> think it would be a good idea to add a FAQ entry on how to create one (
> and how to modify the resolution on systems where the defaults are not OK).

a pretty wide topic -- as I recall there is an option to emit
the config file. but addressing general X setup is robably
not something we want to do locally, so much as simply point
to the proper upstream archives?

> Is anyone with prior experience in this domain willing to do it ?
> Otherwise I'll have to compile one myself...

I have some notes -- I'll discuss in IRC w you tomorrow

-- Russ herrold

Old 07-22-2011, 05:28 AM
Manuel Wolfshant

On 07/22/2011 01:07 AM, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jul 2011, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
>
>> As some of you probably already know, since RHEL 6 xorg.conf does
>> not exist any more by default.
> it is not created by default any more, but is honored if
> present is my understanding, as for multi-head, and for
> solving tricky scan problems

Correct. Which is why I think that the entry should contain basics:
"create a new xorg.conf" , "adjust THIS section to modify the resolution"

> Based on the questions asked on IRC, I
>> think it would be a good idea to add a FAQ entry on how to create one (
>> and how to modify the resolution on systems where the defaults are not OK).
> a pretty wide topic -- as I recall there is an option to emit
> the config file. but addressing general X setup is robably
> not something we want to do locally, so much as simply point
> to the proper upstream archives?
Absolutely. I do not see the X manual replicated here. Just a 5 liner,
use $THISCOMMAND to create the file, edit $THISOTHER section to adjust
the resolution. For anything else, read $THAT.

>> Is anyone with prior experience in this domain willing to do it ?
>> Otherwise I'll have to compile one myself...
> I have some notes -- I'll discuss in IRC w you tomorrow
excellent. thank you