Old 07-20-2011, 02:10 PM
John Fettig

Default Proposed change to HowTos/Skype

In the section for CentOS-5, it would be nice if the following
alternative method for running Skype on CentOS-5 were presented:

You can download a statically linked version of Skype which will work
in CentOS-5 from
http://download.skype.com/linux/skype_static-2.1.047.tar.bz2

I think it's a little bit silly that the first recommendation for
running skype on CentOS-5 is to install a new version of libstdc++!
Hopefully the version I've linked to will remain available directly
through skype's homepage, and if not, some public mirror will arise.

If you want me to change this directly, my login is JohnFettig. I
would be happy if e.g. Akemi Yagi (amyagi@gmail.com) would add this
info.

John

Old 07-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 7:10 AM, John Fettig <john.fettig@gmail.com> wrote:
> In the section for CentOS-5, it would be nice if the following
> alternative method for running Skype on CentOS-5 were presented:
>
> You can download a statically linked version of Skype which will work
> in CentOS-5 from
> http://download.skype.com/linux/skype_static-2.1.047.tar.bz2
>
> I think it's a little bit silly that the first recommendation for
> running skype on CentOS-5 is to install a new version of libstdc++!
> Hopefully the version I've linked to will remain available directly
> through skype's homepage, and if not, some public mirror will arise.
>
> If you want me to change this directly, my login is JohnFettig. *I
> would be happy if e.g. Akemi Yagi (amyagi@gmail.com) would add this
> info.

Ralph is the Wiki admin. He can give you edit right for that page.

Akemi

Old 07-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Am 20.07.11 16:10, schrieb John Fettig:

> If you want me to change this directly, my login is JohnFettig. I
> would be happy if e.g. Akemi Yagi (amyagi@gmail.com) would add this
> info.

You can change that yourself.

Ralph

Old 08-03-2011, 01:52 PM
John Fettig

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 5:50 PM, Ralph Angenendt
<ralph.angenendt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Am 20.07.11 16:10, schrieb John Fettig:
>
>> If you want me to change this directly, my login is JohnFettig. *I
>> would be happy if e.g. Akemi Yagi (amyagi@gmail.com) would add this
>> info.
>
> You can change that yourself.

Of course, now that I've changed it, skype moved or remove the tarball
that I referenced. I have a copy of it and could upload it someplace,
but I'm guessing the skype license doesn't allow redistribution. So
maybe another edit is required.

John

Old 08-03-2011, 01:58 PM
John Fettig

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 9:52 AM, John Fettig <john.fettig@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 5:50 PM, Ralph Angenendt
> <ralph.angenendt@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Am 20.07.11 16:10, schrieb John Fettig:
>>
>>> If you want me to change this directly, my login is JohnFettig. *I
>>> would be happy if e.g. Akemi Yagi (amyagi@gmail.com) would add this
>>> info.
>>
>> You can change that yourself.
>
> Of course, now that I've changed it, skype moved or remove the tarball
> that I referenced.

Actually that was incorrect. I just had a typo in the link. It still works.

John