-   -   CentOS 6 (and 5.6) doc on http://www.centos.org/docs (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-docs/551126-centos-6-5-6-doc-http-www-centos-org-docs.html)

Ed Heron 07-11-2011 06:29 PM

CentOS 6 (and 5.6) doc on http://www.centos.org/docs

On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 19:03 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 07/09/2011 04:13 PM, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> >> It is my impression that we could and should 'adapt' the documentation
> >> by removing the upstream provider logos and other marks (as applicable)
> >> and mark the documentation as CentOS documentation. Obviously,
> >> including references to the original document. This would give the
> >> CentOS project the ability to edit out the aspects that are specific to
> >> the upstream product, such as the contract number during install.
> >
> > ok, submit a patch / script to do that :-)
> >

> depending on how much of it can be automated, that would be idea -
> otherwise we can import the stuff into a git repo and use that as a base
> to work from.
>
> - KB

That sounded like a vote for maintaining CentOS versions of the
docs...

Would it be too much work to import it into the wiki system (since it
already has a revision control system) and export a set of pages to
e-pub or other formats? I assume we would have to maintain footers that
include pointers to the original content on each page.

This could create more traffic on the wiki. Is bandwidth or machine
time a concern?

Manuel Wolfshant 07-11-2011 10:04 PM

On 07/12/2011 12:57 AM, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Am 11.07.11 20:29, schrieb Ed Heron:
>
>> This could create more traffic on the wiki. Is bandwidth or machine
>> time a concern?
> Document type. The wiki is not really meant to serve, version, edit and
> - well - import foreign formats. You can do so if a page needs an
> attachement, but I don't really want to use it as storage for foreign
> formats.
>
> I don't really know what you all want to do with the documents. We can
> use them as is - and as we don't change them contentwise, I'm not sure
> why we should change artwork on those.

I am more into creating some form of redirect from docs.c.o to
upstream's relevant docs.

"John R. Dennison" 07-11-2011 10:11 PM

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 01:04:41AM +0300, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> I am more into creating some form of redirect from docs.c.o to
> upstream's relevant docs.

Is this permissible now?

John
--
"The Special Olympics is to winners as FOX News is to experts.
If you show up, you are one."

-- Jon Stewart