-   -   Very first contact with docs may confuse (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-docs/545967-very-first-contact-docs-may-confuse.html)

BlessJah 06-29-2011 11:50 AM

Very first contact with docs may confuse

Hi,

This is my very first time using CentOS and I find documentation a little bit confusing.

For example, I don't know which iso image suits my needs, isn't adding big, shining red link "READ THIS IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHICH ISO SHOULD YOU CHOOSE" a good idea? 'README' file on mirrors with instructions would also be nice. If there already is one, I wasn't able to find it, shouldn't it be bigger?

I would also expect something like "begginer guide" or "start here" on the main page of wiki (and on main page of centos). I think ArchLinux wiki, and it's "Begginer Guide" and "Official Installation Guide" are good examples, how it can be done. Both leads user through process of getting, installing and configuring system.

Regards
BlessJah

Manuel Wolfshant 06-29-2011 01:15 PM

On 06/29/2011 02:50 PM, BlessJah wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is my very first time using CentOS and I find documentation a little bit confusing.
>
> For example, I don't know which iso image suits my needs, isn't adding big, shining red link "READ THIS IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHICH ISO SHOULD YOU CHOOSE" a good idea?
Hello

If you go to wiki.centos.org => Download ( the top link in the middle of
the page ) you will notice in the lower part of the page a paragraph
named "Variety of ISO images".

> 'README' file on mirrors with instructions would also be nice. If there already is one, I wasn't able to find it, shouldn't it be bigger?
>
> I would also expect something like "begginer guide" or "start here" on the main page of wiki (and on main page of centos).
Well, thing is that due to the very nature of the goal of existence of
CentOS, all the documentation for RedHat applies almost unmodified to
CentOS. Hence the large number of references to their documentation that
you have undoubtedly found in our wiki. And the reason that the
documentation is mainly at
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/

> I think ArchLinux wiki, and it's "Begginer Guide" and "Official Installation Guide" are good examples, how it can be done. Both leads user through process of getting, installing and configuring system.
Thank you for your suggestions. I'll take a look and discuss with the
other members of the doc team what can be done to improve our users'
experience.

Manuel

Scott Robbins 06-29-2011 01:40 PM

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 04:15:27PM +0300, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:

> > I think ArchLinux wiki, and it's "Begginer Guide" and "Official Installation Guide" are good examples, how it can be done. Both leads user through process of getting, installing and configuring system.
> Thank you for your suggestions. I'll take a look and discuss with the
> other members of the doc team what can be done to improve our users'
> experience.

ArchLinux rivals the BSDs for good documentation.
It really is pretty much the best I've seen, though, admitting my own
prejudice, the CentOS wiki is another very good piece of work.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Wesley: The Council's orders are to concentrate on the...
Buffy: Orders. I don't think I'm going to be taking any more
orders. Not from you, not from them.
Wesley: You can't turn your back on the Council.
Buffy: They're in England. I don't think they can tell which way
my back is facing.

BlessJah 06-29-2011 03:39 PM

BlessJah 06-29-2011 03:39 PM