Old 06-16-2011, 07:26 AM
Cody Jackson

Default OS Hardening typo?

Hi all;

On OS Hardening ( http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/OS_Protection )
there's a section on "Physical Protection" that includes requiring a
single-user mode password. There's four lines that look something like
this:

echo "Require the root pw when booting into single user mode" >> /etc/inittab
echo "~~:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin" >> /etc/inittab
echo "Don't allow any nut to kill the server"
perl -npe 's/ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown/#ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown/'
-i /etc/inittab

It's been awhile since I've messed with the /etc/initab file, but why
is "Require the root pw when booting into single user mode" being
echoed to /etc/inittab? Is this a typo? (I'm guessing that it is based
on the third line, which just echos what is being done to the console
to the benefit of whoever is typing it in.)

If not, ignore this. I just don't want to hose my /etc/inittab file to
find out

Cheers,
Cody Jackson

Old 06-16-2011, 07:50 AM
Alan Bartlett

On 16 June 2011 08:26, Cody Jackson <supertanker13@gmail.com> wrote:

> On OS Hardening ( http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/OS_Protection )
> there's a section on "Physical Protection" that includes requiring a
> single-user mode password. There's four lines that look something like
> this:
>
> echo "Require the root pw when booting into single user mode" >> /etc/inittab
> echo "~~:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin" >> /etc/inittab
> echo "Don't allow any nut to kill the server"
> perl -npe 's/ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown/#ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown/'
> -i /etc/inittab
>
> It's been awhile since I've messed with the /etc/initab file, but why
> is "Require the root pw when booting into single user mode" being
> echoed to /etc/inittab? Is this a typo?

Yes, I believe so. The line has been adjusted to read:

echo "# Require the root pw when booting into single user mode" >> /etc/inittab

Thanks for your critical scrutiny.

Alan.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:42 PM
R P Herrold

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011, Alan Bartlett wrote:

> On 16 June 2011 08:26, Cody Jackson <supertanker13@gmail.com> wrote:

>> perl -npe 's/ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown/#ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown/'
>> -i /etc/inittab

I think God kills a kitten whenever perl is invoked when
simple sed would do ... just saying ...

-- Russ herrold