-   -   OS Hardening typo? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-docs/540423-os-hardening-typo.html)

Cody Jackson 06-16-2011 07:26 AM

OS Hardening typo?

Hi all;

On OS Hardening ( http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/OS_Protection )
there's a section on "Physical Protection" that includes requiring a
single-user mode password. There's four lines that look something like
this:

echo "Require the root pw when booting into single user mode" >> /etc/inittab
echo "~~:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin" >> /etc/inittab
echo "Don't allow any nut to kill the server"
perl -npe 's/ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown/#ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown/'
-i /etc/inittab

It's been awhile since I've messed with the /etc/initab file, but why
is "Require the root pw when booting into single user mode" being
echoed to /etc/inittab? Is this a typo? (I'm guessing that it is based
on the third line, which just echos what is being done to the console
to the benefit of whoever is typing it in.)

If not, ignore this. I just don't want to hose my /etc/inittab file to
find out :)

Cheers,
Cody Jackson

Alan Bartlett 06-16-2011 07:50 AM

OS Hardening typo?

On 16 June 2011 08:26, Cody Jackson <supertanker13@gmail.com> wrote:

> On OS Hardening ( http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/OS_Protection )
> there's a section on "Physical Protection" that includes requiring a
> single-user mode password. There's four lines that look something like
> this:
>
> echo "Require the root pw when booting into single user mode" >> /etc/inittab
> echo "~~:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin" >> /etc/inittab
> echo "Don't allow any nut to kill the server"
> perl -npe 's/ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown/#ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown/'
> -i /etc/inittab
>
> It's been awhile since I've messed with the /etc/initab file, but why
> is "Require the root pw when booting into single user mode" being
> echoed to /etc/inittab? Is this a typo?

Yes, I believe so. The line has been adjusted to read:

echo "# Require the root pw when booting into single user mode" >> /etc/inittab

Thanks for your critical scrutiny.

Alan.

R P Herrold 06-16-2011 05:42 PM

OS Hardening typo?

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011, Alan Bartlett wrote:

> On 16 June 2011 08:26, Cody Jackson <supertanker13@gmail.com> wrote:

>> perl -npe 's/ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown/#ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown/'
>> -i /etc/inittab

I think God kills a kitten whenever perl is invoked when
simple sed would do ... just saying ...

-- Russ herrold