Old 06-10-2011, 03:46 PM
"Marko A. Jennings"

Default New page TipsAndTricks/IdentifyHardDisk

On Fri, June 10, 2011 11:18 am, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> For the inspection of the docs group:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/IdentifyHardDisk

hdparm -I fails on 4 of my machines with SATA disks attached to 3ware RAID
controllers in JBOD configuration and a fifth one with SCSI disks attached
to an LSI Logic RAID controller (JBOD as well) with the following message:

[root@host ~]# hdparm -I /dev/sd?

/dev/sda:
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(identify) failed: Invalid argument

/dev/sdb:
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(identify) failed: Invalid argument

Might be good to include a note that the command does not work for all
disk/controller configurations.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:54 PM
pjwelsh

On 06/10/2011 10:18 AM, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> For the inspection of the docs group:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/IdentifyHardDisk
>
> Phil

Simple, elegant and to the point... you rock!

pjwelsh

Old 06-10-2011, 04:05 PM
pjwelsh

On 06/10/2011 10:46 AM, Marko A. Jennings wrote:
> On Fri, June 10, 2011 11:18 am, Phil Schaffner wrote:
>> For the inspection of the docs group:
>>
>> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/IdentifyHardDisk
> hdparm -I fails on 4 of my machines with SATA disks attached to 3ware RAID
> controllers in JBOD configuration and a fifth one with SCSI disks attached
> to an LSI Logic RAID controller (JBOD as well) with the following message:
>
> [root@host ~]# hdparm -I /dev/sd?
>
> /dev/sda:
> HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(identify) failed: Invalid argument
>
> /dev/sdb:
> HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(identify) failed: Invalid argument
>
> Might be good to include a note that the command does not work for all
> disk/controller configurations.

Nice catch Marko, fails identically on my Dell PERC[56] controllers in RAID
configuration, but that's why I use Dell's OMSA software.

pjwelsh

Old 06-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Phil Schaffner

Marko A. Jennings wrote on 06/10/2011 11:46 AM:
> Might be good to include a note that the command does not work for all
> disk/controller configurations.

Done.

Thanks,

Phil