-   -   New page: HowTos/JavaRuntimeEnvironment (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-docs/534761-new-page-howtos-javaruntimeenvironment.html)

Phil Schaffner 06-03-2011 07:18 PM

New page: HowTos/JavaRuntimeEnvironment

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/JavaRuntimeEnvironment

Did not make it DRAFT as it has evolved from old pages, has been well
tested, and is near perfect. :-)

Constructive criticism is, as usual, solicited and welcomed.

Phil

Manuel Wolfshant 06-03-2011 07:31 PM

On 06/03/2011 10:18 PM, Phil Schaffner wrote:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/JavaRuntimeEnvironment

Did not make it DRAFT as it has evolved from old pages, has been well
tested, and is near perfect. :-)

Constructive criticism is, as usual, solicited and welcomed.

*** Excellent article !

*** I've made the following modifications to it:

- replaced references to jre-u24 with u25 ( which was used in some
places but not everywhere )

- took advantage of the fact that jre creates a symlink named
"latest":

[wolfy@wolfy ~]$ ll /usr/java/

total 4

lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root** 16 Mar* 2 12:17 default ->
/usr/java/latest

drwxr-xr-x. 7 root root 4096 Mar* 2 12:18 jre1.6.0_23

lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root** 21 Mar* 2 12:17 latest ->
/usr/java/jre1.6.0_23

which can make upgrading much easier, as future versions of jre will
update the symlink but this will not require tweaking the
alternatives links.

*** *** manuel

Alan Bartlett 06-03-2011 07:32 PM

On 3 June 2011 20:18, Phil Schaffner <Philip.R.Schaffner@nasa.gov> wrote:
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/JavaRuntimeEnvironment
>
> Did not make it DRAFT as it has evolved from old pages, has been well
> tested, and is near perfect. :-)
>
> Constructive criticism is, as usual, solicited and welcomed.

One comment. I thought linkage of the libjavaplugin_jni.so file is redundant?

Alan.

Phil Schaffner 06-03-2011 07:56 PM

Alan Bartlett wrote on 06/03/2011 03:32 PM:
> One comment. I thought linkage of the libjavaplugin_jni.so file is redundant?

May be superstitious behavior on my part. I saw it recommended
somewhere to use both and have followed that, but it seems to work fine
without the libjavaplugin_jni.so link, but the link does not seem to
cause problems. That can be deleted if not needed.

Phil Schaffner 06-03-2011 08:00 PM

Manuel Wolfshant wrote on 06/03/2011 03:31 PM:
> - took advantage of the fact that jre creates a symlink named "latest":
>
> [wolfy@wolfy ~]$ ll /usr/java/
> total 4
> lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 16 Mar 2 12:17 default -> /usr/java/latest
> drwxr-xr-x. 7 root root 4096 Mar 2 12:18 jre1.6.0_23
> lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 21 Mar 2 12:17 latest ->
> /usr/java/jre1.6.0_23
>
> which can make upgrading much easier, as future versions of jre will
> update the symlink but this will not require tweaking the alternatives
> links.

Good addition!

Phil