Old 03-31-2011, 04:52 PM
Jim Woods

Default Contributing to Wiki

Hello again,

I want to contribute to the Wiki, in the "WebsiteVer2" section,

My wikiuser name is JimWoods.

Thanks

Old 04-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Am 31.03.11 18:52, schrieb Jim Woods:
> Hello again,
>
> I want to contribute to the Wiki, in the "WebsiteVer2" section,

What exactly there? You have seen the Thread(s) on the centos-devel
mailing list? There will be an IRC meeting, probably next week - thread
also is on the devel list.

Ralph

Old 04-03-2011, 01:31 AM
Jim Woods

Hi Ralph,

I emailed you sometime last week off-list. I re-read the "website
version 2, next steps" thread, tried to write an email in response,
realized it was terribly too long, and figured I would edit the wiki
pages or put up a couple of new ones.

That's when I realized I had to ask for approval to contribute to the wiki.

I did see a an initial note about an irc meeting, but no follow-ups.
Looking now, I guess I better post my availability. I am GMT -7, so
this may be a bit hard to schedule.

Thanks,

Jim

Old 04-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 04/03/2011 02:31 AM, Jim Woods wrote:
> I emailed you sometime last week off-list. I re-read the "website
> version 2, next steps" thread, tried to write an email in response,
> realized it was terribly too long, and figured I would edit the wiki
> pages or put up a couple of new ones.

The wiki isnt a mailing list, please dont use it to 'communicate' with
people.

- KB

Old 04-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Jim Woods

>On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 3:23 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> The wiki isnt a mailing list, please dont use it to 'communicate' with
> people.

Are you serious?

You're telling me it's not acceptable "procedure" to create a wiki
page, say WebsiteVer2/WireFrame, where folks can post an image for the
website design, then discuss on the mailing list and point people to
that wiki page to look at?

I should post my existing website content review (not very short) just
to the mailing list? Not as a wiki page where others can edit and
adjust? A living document on the wiki and discussion on the mailing
list, that's unacceptable?

Now, I am going to guess this is a mis-understanding. That you thought
I was just going to post my email verbatim to the wiki. That is not
the case. All I wanted to do was create the starter pages like the
ones I mention above, then post to the mailing list and get the
discussion moving forward. It seemed inefficient to me to try and use
the mailing list for the collaborative work portion and not the wiki.

Thanks,

Jim

Old 04-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Alan Bartlett

On 4 April 2011 17:25, Jim Woods <redkilian@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 3:23 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
>> The wiki isnt a mailing list, please dont use it to 'communicate' with
>> people.
>
> Are you serious?

> You're telling me it's not acceptable "procedure" to create a wiki
> page, say WebsiteVer2/WireFrame, where folks can post an image for the
> website design, then discuss on the mailing list and point people to
> that wiki page to look at?
>
> I should post my existing website content review (not very short) just
> to the mailing list? Not as a wiki page where others can edit and
> adjust? A living document on the wiki and discussion on the mailing
> list, that's unacceptable?
>
> Now, I am going to guess this is a mis-understanding. That you thought
> I was just going to post my email verbatim to the wiki. That is not
> the case. All I wanted to do was create the starter pages like the
> ones I mention above, then post to the mailing list and get the
> discussion moving forward. It seemed inefficient to me to try and use
> the mailing list for the collaborative work portion and not the wiki.

Do you have a "home page", Jim?

If so, use that. If not, Ralph will create one for you, if asked.

Alan.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 04/04/2011 05:25 PM, Jim Woods wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 3:23 AM, Karanbir Singh<mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
>> The wiki isnt a mailing list, please dont use it to 'communicate' with
>> people.
> Are you serious?

Absolutely!

> You're telling me it's not acceptable "procedure" to create a wiki
> page, say WebsiteVer2/WireFrame, where folks can post an image for the
> website design, then discuss on the mailing list and point people to
> that wiki page to look at?

I can imagine there will be a fair few ideas thrown around, so sticking
with the list initially would be better. If not, a vcs instance to host
such would be far better than putting it in the wiki.

> Now, I am going to guess this is a mis-understanding. That you thought
> I was just going to post my email verbatim to the wiki. That is not

That is what it sounded like...

> the case. All I wanted to do was create the starter pages like the
> ones I mention above, then post to the mailing list and get the
> discussion moving forward. It seemed inefficient to me to try and use
> the mailing list for the collaborative work portion and not the wiki.

The 'work part of the website ver2' is meant to take place in a
development centric tool, like openatrium, rather than overloading what
is essentially a flat-text target, ie the wiki.

As Alan pointed out, a good place to start might be under your username
on the wiki.

- KB

Old 04-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Jim Woods

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> The 'work part of the website ver2' is meant to take place in a
> development centric tool, like openatrium, rather than overloading what
> is essentially a flat-text target, ie the wiki.
>
> As Alan pointed out, a good place to start might be under your username
> on the wiki.

Fair enough. Does the openatrium tool exist yet? Is that something
else that needs to get done before moving forward? I wouldn't have
made the wiki request, or assumed that was the correct place do this
work if I had known there were plans to use another tool.

Ralph, can you create a HomePage for me? I would like to use that to
place a review of the existing web content, and maybe put up a
wireframe to show how the frontpage would look.

Thanks,

Jim

Old 04-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 04/04/2011 06:04 PM, Jim Woods wrote:
> Fair enough. Does the openatrium tool exist yet? Is that something
> else that needs to get done before moving forward? I wouldn't have
> made the wiki request, or assumed that was the correct place do this
> work if I had known there were plans to use another tool.

Yes, its there. But looks to be a bit frozen out at the moment (
http://qaweb.dev.centos.org/websitever2/ is where its meant to show up
); fwiw, its been 'evaluated', quite possible not 'decided' upon. Maybe
a point for the meeting on Thursday!

> Ralph, can you create a HomePage for me? I would like to use that to
> place a review of the existing web content, and maybe put up a
> wireframe to show how the frontpage would look.

I think he did that already

also, it would be awesome if we can get a few options like this for the
irc meeting on Thursday.

- KB

Old 04-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Jim Woods

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 10:07 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> Yes, its there. But looks to be a bit frozen out at the moment (
> http://qaweb.dev.centos.org/websitever2/ is where its meant to show up
> ); fwiw, its been 'evaluated', quite possible not 'decided' upon. Maybe
> a point for the meeting on Thursday!

Absolutely.

>> Ralph, can you create a HomePage for me? I would like to use that to
>> place a review of the existing web content, and maybe put up a
>> wireframe to show how the frontpage would look.
>
> I think he did that already

I think he did too, but I can't access or edit it.
"You are not allowed to view this page."

> also, it would be awesome if we can get a few options like this for the
> irc meeting on Thursday.

Agreed. I will try to get this up asap. I do plan on attending the meeting.

Thanks,

Jim