-   -   FOG on CentOS Wiki contribution suggestion? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-docs/505562-fog-centos-wiki-contribution-suggestion.html)

Alex Goffe 03-25-2011 03:15 PM

FOG on CentOS Wiki contribution suggestion?

Hello,

I'd like to contribute a page on using FOG (FOG is a Linux-based, free
and open source computer imaging solution for Windows XP, Vista and 7
that ties together a few open-source tools with a php-based web
interface. http://www.fogproject.org/) running on CentOS. Currently have
3 FOG servers deployed on CentOS covering a large workload using an
existing Linux DHCP setup in a large University environment.

It will be basic walk through to install fog version 0.29/0.30 on a
CentOS server including making the extremely basic 3 changes
(http://www.fogproject.org/wiki/index.php?title=Installation_on_CentOS_5.3#Install ing_0.29_and_0.30),
while using an existing Linux DHCP server.

It might be suitable to be located under HowTo's > Misc or Non CentOS
Applications.

User name "AlexGoffe"

Cheers,
Alex

Ralph Angenendt 03-26-2011 07:22 PM

Am 25.03.11 17:15, schrieb Alex Goffe:

> It will be basic walk through to install fog version 0.29/0.30 on a
> CentOS server including making the extremely basic 3 changes
> (http://www.fogproject.org/wiki/index.php?title=Installation_on_CentOS_5.3#Install ing_0.29_and_0.30),
> while using an existing Linux DHCP server.

Would you be able to generalize it a bit more (for example only use the
latest versions of the script and CentOS), remove the How To install
CentOS part and things like that?

What really would be great if there would be an rpm of FOG, as we
generally frown upon source installs (I gather this is binary stuff,
though?). If not possible, please include an overview of what gets
installed where by the installer.

Generally: Cleanup, tell a bit about FOG and tell a bit more about the
installation process.

Regards,

Ralph

Ralph Angenendt 03-26-2011 07:23 PM

You can do that here: http://wiki.centos.org/AlexGoffe

Alex Goffe 03-26-2011 07:43 PM

FOG on CentOS Wiki contribution suggestion?

Fantastic,
Will make a start this week.

Many thanks,
Alex

Alex Goffe 03-30-2011 03:18 PM

FOG on CentOS Wiki contribution suggestion?

I have created the bulk of the document over at
http://wiki.centos.org/AlexGoffe, This is a basic "hand holding" guide
for a user to install fog 0.30 on centos 5.5, ideally aimed at users
with basic Linux experience. Anyone with FOG experience please chip in
with some further detail.

Many Thanks,
Alex

Ralph Angenendt 04-02-2011 06:16 PM

Am 30.03.11 17:18, schrieb Alex Goffe:
> I have created the bulk of the document over at
> http://wiki.centos.org/AlexGoffe, This is a basic "hand holding" guide
> for a user to install fog 0.30 on centos 5.5, ideally aimed at users
> with basic Linux experience. Anyone with FOG experience please chip in
> with some further detail.

One thing I've seen (just skimmed over it once): There's no need to
explain on how to install rpmforge, it would be better to link ot the
instructions which already are on the wiki, as those also explain the
gotchas.

Regards,

Ralph

Alex Goffe 04-12-2011 03:02 PM

FOG on CentOS Wiki contribution suggestion?

Thanks for the feedback, this has now been changed (and URL cleaned up
thanks to AlanBartlett)

Any further thoughts, or are we Ok to make this live?

Alex

Akemi Yagi 04-12-2011 03:13 PM

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 8:02 AM, Alex Goffe <a.s.goffe@hfac.keele.ac.uk> wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback, this has now been changed (and URL cleaned up
> thanks to AlanBartlett)
>
> Any further thoughts, or are we Ok to make this live?
>
> Alex

I see no problem with it ( 問題ないと思います。 )

Akemi
-testing also your favorite language. :-)

Alan Bartlett 04-12-2011 03:50 PM

On 12 April 2011 16:02, Alex Goffe <a.s.goffe@hfac.keele.ac.uk> wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback, this has now been changed (and URL cleaned up
> thanks to AlanBartlett)

You're welcome. ;-)

> Any further thoughts, or are we Ok to make this live?

It looks good enough to me. Just add a "Created by: AlexGoffe" (or
"Created and Maintained by: . . .") line. Further "de-fluffing" or
polishing can be done as things are noticed.

+1 from me.

Alan.

Alex Goffe 04-12-2011 03:53 PM

FOG on CentOS Wiki contribution suggestion?

Fantastic, Line has been added!