Old 04-14-2011, 02:13 PM
Alex Goffe

Default FOG on CentOS Wiki contribution suggestion?

Any further thoughts, If not can the FOG page now be created so I (or
someone) can move the info?

Many Thanks!
Alex

Old 04-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Am 14.04.11 16:13, schrieb Alex Goffe:
> Any further thoughts, If not can the FOG page now be created so I (or
> someone) can move the info?

Can you revalidate, that it also works on 5.6? And if so, just replace
5.x with 5 everywhere on the page? If that is done, I can move it for
you. Sorry for the late response, was away from computers for the last days.

Regards,

Ralph

Old 04-29-2011, 04:32 PM
Alex Goffe

Ok, changes made! If you could move it that would be great.

Cheers,
Alex

Old 05-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Am 29.04.11 18:32, schrieb Alex Goffe:
> Ok, changes made! If you could move it that would be great.

Okay, done. Could you please explain in the document
<http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Fog> why you are truning off iptables?

Thanks,

Ralph

Old 05-02-2011, 11:05 PM
R P Herrold

On Mon, 2 May 2011, Ralph Angenendt wrote:

> Am 29.04.11 18:32, schrieb Alex Goffe:
>> Ok, changes made! If you could move it that would be great.
>
> Okay, done. Could you please explain in the document
> <http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Fog> why you are truning off iptables?

My thought, reading the article was: why are binaries being
installed outside of the packaging system? Why is an
_interactive_ isntallation AND the configuration being
performed inside the install (contrary to good RPM practice)?
This line was particularly troubling:

> FOG now has everything it needs to setup your server, but
> please understand that this script will overwrite any
> setting you may have setup for services like DHCP, apache,
> pxe, tftp, and NFS.

and appears to simply be a untested 'lift' with some edits of
a generic install document:

> This script should be run by the root user on Fedora, or
> with sudo on Ubuntu.

And the instructions as shown are not from a root level
account, and cannot work as shown with the shell defaults
CentOS ships:

> $ service iptables stop
> $ service ip6tables stop
> $ chkconfig iptables off
> $ chkconfig ip6tables off

Last time I looked this is a wiki for the CentOS project ...
If people want to write about pet projects, that is fine ...
elsewhere --- but general and indeed poor sysadmin practice
under the upstream/RPM approach, does not belong in the CentOS
wiki unless a CentOS project related issue is being addressed

-- Russ herrold