FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS Docs

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-25-2011, 05:07 AM
Alex/AT
 
Default CentOS Wiki Contribution

Hello to everyone on the list.

I want to contribute to the Wiki, to the "Tips and Tricks" section, "Installation" part thereof, on the topic of "Installing CentOS anew to ext4 partition(s)".

My wikiuser name is AlexeyAsemov.

Overall contents of the T&T article can be found in my #9 post here: https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=27169
_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 03-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Phil Schaffner
 
Default CentOS Wiki Contribution

Alex/AT wrote on 03/25/2011 02:07 AM:
>
> Hello to everyone on the list.
>
> I want to contribute to the Wiki, to the "Tips and Tricks" section,
> "Installation" part thereof, on the topic of "Installing CentOS anew to
> ext4 partition(s)".
>
> My wikiuser name is AlexeyAsemov.
>
> Overall contents of the T&T article can be found in my #9 post here:
> https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=27169

Welcome to the list. Thanks for volunteering. I look forward to seeing
the article.

Phil
_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 03-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Ralph Angenendt
 
Default CentOS Wiki Contribution

Am 25.03.11 07:07, schrieb Alex/AT:
>
> Hello to everyone on the list.
>
> I want to contribute to the Wiki, to the "Tips and Tricks" section,
> "Installation" part thereof, on the topic of "Installing CentOS anew to
> ext4 partition(s)".
>
> My wikiuser name is AlexeyAsemov.

Great, go ahead: http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/InstallOnExt4

Can you put a bit more text around what you are doing there (especially
why you drop to a shell to do the formatting and partitioning)?

Ralph
_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 03-27-2011, 06:39 AM
Alex/AT
 
Default CentOS Wiki Contribution

Ralph Angenendt <ralph.angenendt@gmail.com> писал(а) в своём письме Sat,
26 Mar 2011 23:16:58 +0300:

> Great, go ahead: http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/InstallOnExt4
>
> Can you put a bit more text around what you are doing there (especially
> why you drop to a shell to do the formatting and partitioning)?

Thanks. Yes, I will elaborate it a bit.
_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 03-27-2011, 09:20 AM
Alex/AT
 
Default CentOS Wiki Contribution

> Ralph Angenendt <ralph.angenendt@gmail.com> писал(а) в своём письме Sat,
> 26 Mar 2011 23:16:58 +0300:
>
>> Great, go ahead: http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/InstallOnExt4
>>
>> Can you put a bit more text around what you are doing there (especially
>> why you drop to a shell to do the formatting and partitioning)?
>
> Thanks. Yes, I will elaborate it a bit.

It is done and ready to be edited.
Any comments on this are appreciated.
I've also probably did some really bad spelling errors 'cause I'm not
native English speaker/writer.
_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 03-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Manuel Wolfshant
 
Default CentOS Wiki Contribution

On 03/27/2011 12:20 PM, Alex/AT wrote:
>> Ralph Angenendt<ralph.angenendt@gmail.com> писал(а) в своём письме Sat,
>> 26 Mar 2011 23:16:58 +0300:
>>
>>> Great, go ahead:http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/InstallOnExt4
>>>
>>> Can you put a bit more text around what you are doing there (especially
>>> why you drop to a shell to do the formatting and partitioning)?
>> Thanks. Yes, I will elaborate it a bit.
> It is done and ready to be edited.
> Any comments on this are appreciated.
> I've also probably did some really bad spelling errors 'cause I'm not
> native English speaker/writer.
I modified it a bit.

However, I fail to understand why is all this complicate procedure
needed, given that starting the installer with "linux ext4" (linux
ext4dev for the centos releases prior to 5.5, if I am not mistaken)
achieves the same goal without any need for workarounds ? The ext4 type
of filesystem will be present in the disk druid interface and can be
used exactly as any other one.

_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 03-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Alex/AT
 
Default CentOS Wiki Contribution

Manuel Wolfshant <wolfy@nobugconsulting.ro> писал(а) в своём письме Sun,
27 Mar 2011 14:57:27 +0400:

> I modified it a bit.
>
> However, I fail to understand why is all this complicate procedure
> needed, given that starting the installer with "linux ext4" (linux
> ext4dev for the centos releases prior to 5.5, if I am not mistaken)
> achieves the same goal without any need for workarounds ? The ext4 type
> of filesystem will be present in the disk druid interface and can be
> used exactly as any other one.

Oops. Did not know that. If that is the case, the the article is really
not needed.

--
C уважением, Alex/AT
_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 03-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Phil Schaffner
 
Default CentOS Wiki Contribution

Alex/AT wrote on 03/27/2011 06:58 AM:
> Manuel Wolfshant<wolfy@nobugconsulting.ro> писал(а) в своём письме Sun,
> 27 Mar 2011 14:57:27 +0400:
>
>> I modified it a bit.
>>
>> However, I fail to understand why is all this complicate procedure
>> needed, given that starting the installer with "linux ext4" (linux
>> ext4dev for the centos releases prior to 5.5, if I am not mistaken)
>> achieves the same goal without any need for workarounds ? The ext4 type
>> of filesystem will be present in the disk druid interface and can be
>> used exactly as any other one.
>
> Oops. Did not know that. If that is the case, the the article is really
> not needed.

My wetware failure is to blame here - was thinking that only came in
with RHEL6 and failed to check; however, a brief article on ext4 the
"right way" would still be worthwhile.

Phil
_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 03-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Alan Bartlett
 
Default CentOS Wiki Contribution

On 27 March 2011 13:33, Phil Schaffner <Philip.R.Schaffner@nasa.gov> wrote:
> Alex/AT wrote on 03/27/2011 06:58 AM:
>> Manuel Wolfshant<wolfy@nobugconsulting.ro> *писал(а) в своём письме Sun,
>> 27 Mar 2011 14:57:27 +0400:

>>> I modified it a bit.
>>>
>>> However, I fail to understand why is all this complicate procedure
>>> needed, given that starting the installer with "linux ext4" (linux
>>> ext4dev for the centos releases prior to 5.5, if I am not mistaken)
>>> achieves the same goal without any need for workarounds ? The ext4 type
>>> of filesystem will be present in the disk druid interface and can be
>>> used exactly as any other one.

>> Oops. Did not know that. If that is the case, the the article is really
>> not needed.

> My wetware failure is to blame here - was thinking that only came in
> with RHEL6 and failed to check; however, a brief article on ext4 the
> "right way" would still be worthwhile.

Perhaps one of the QA team would test / confirm an ext4 installation,
whilst QA'ing C-5.6 ?

Looks east . . . Wolfy ? Looks west . . . Phil ?

Alan.
_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 
Old 03-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Alex/AT
 
Default CentOS Wiki Contribution

>>> Oops. Did not know that. If that is the case, the the article is really
>>> not needed.
>
>> My wetware failure is to blame here - was thinking that only came in
>> with RHEL6 and failed to check; however, a brief article on ext4 the
>> "right way" would still be worthwhile.
>
> Perhaps one of the QA team would test / confirm an ext4 installation,
> whilst QA'ing C-5.6 ?

Not sure about QA team, but I've just tested ext4 install using "linux
ext4" on CentOS 5.5. Works fine.
_______________________________________________
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-docs
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:27 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org