Old 03-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Phil Schaffner

Default CentOS Wiki Contribution

Manuel Wolfshant wrote on 03/27/2011 06:57 AM:
> I modified it a bit.
>
> However, I fail to understand why is all this complicate procedure
> needed, given that starting the installer with "linux ext4" (linux
> ext4dev for the centos releases prior to 5.5, if I am not mistaken)
> achieves the same goal without any need for workarounds ? The ext4 type
> of filesystem will be present in the disk druid interface and can be
> used exactly as any other one.

Hummm... Perhaps merits a mention in the Release Notes. Don't see it in
either ours or upstream's.

Phil

Old 03-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Phil Schaffner

Alan Bartlett wrote on 03/27/2011 08:39 AM:
> Perhaps one of the QA team would test / confirm an ext4 installation,
> whilst QA'ing C-5.6 ?
>
> Looks east . . . Wolfy ? Looks west . . . Phil ?

Doing that as we communicate. :-)

I also note that the procedure does not seem to be spelled out in the
upstream docs, or at least I have so far failed to find it. Any links
welcome.

A logical place would have been:
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Installation_Guide/s2-x86-starting-bootopts.html

Phil

--
Philip R. Schaffner, RTD/ESB Phone: (757)864-1809
NASA/Langley Research Center, MS 473 FAX: (757)864-7891

Old 03-28-2011, 07:22 AM
Manuel Wolfshant

On 03/27/2011 01:58 PM, Alex/AT wrote:
> Manuel Wolfshant<wolfy@nobugconsulting.ro> писал(а) в своём письме Sun,
> 27 Mar 2011 14:57:27 +0400:
>
>> I modified it a bit.
>>
>> However, I fail to understand why is all this complicate procedure
>> needed, given that starting the installer with "linux ext4" (linux
>> ext4dev for the centos releases prior to 5.5, if I am not mistaken)
>> achieves the same goal without any need for workarounds ? The ext4 type
>> of filesystem will be present in the disk druid interface and can be
>> used exactly as any other one.
> Oops. Did not know that. If that is the case, the the article is really
> not needed.

I've changed the http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/InstallOnExt4 page
to reflect the recommended option

Manuel

Old 03-28-2011, 07:26 AM
Manuel Wolfshant

On 03/27/2011 03:39 PM, Alan Bartlett wrote:

>> My wetware failure is to blame here - was thinking that only came in
>> with RHEL6 and failed to check; however, a brief article on ext4 the
>> "right way" would still be worthwhile.
> Perhaps one of the QA team would test / confirm an ext4 installation,
> whilst QA'ing C-5.6 ?
>
> Looks east . . . Wolfy ? Looks west . . . Phil ?

It works fine since C5.4, only that at the time, due to the fact that
ext4 was still a technology preview, the required boot option had a
slightly different name instead of ext4.