Old 03-16-2011, 09:46 PM
Ozy the barbarian guitarist

Default Wiki: Howtos/Virtualization/HyperV

Hello,

I've written a couple of articles about CentOS on my personal blog that i'd like to share.
As mentionned py pschaff on the CentOS 5 forum ( https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=30474&forum=37 ), there could be a need of an article explaining how to virtualize CentOS 5 in HyperV.

As i wrote my articles in french, i'm willing to translate them so they could fit your wiki.
Here's my inital article about Hyper-V & CentOS: http://www.badministrateur.com/en/node/66

I'm not the best admin out there as my blog's domain name suggests (Bad Administrator :-), but all articles i wrote are tested and should work.
I'm willing to help if needed.

Best regards,
Ozy.

centos-docs account: OzydeJong
proposed subject:
Virtualization of CentOS 5 in Hyper-V
proposed location: Howtos/Virtualization/HyperV

Old 03-16-2011, 10:05 PM
Manuel Wolfshant

On 03/17/2011 12:46 AM, Ozy the barbarian guitarist wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've written a couple of articles about CentOS on my personal blog
> that i'd like to share.
> As mentionned py pschaff on the CentOS 5 forum (
> https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=30474&forum=37
> <https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=30474&forum=37>
> ), there could be a need of an article explaining how to virtualize
> CentOS 5 in HyperV.
>
> As i wrote my articles in french, i'm willing to translate them so
> they could fit your wiki.
> Here's my inital article about Hyper-V & CentOS:
> http://www.badministrateur.com/en/node/66
>
> I'm not the best admin out there as my blog's domain name suggests
> (Bad Administrator :-), but all articles i wrote are tested and should
> work.
> I'm willing to help if needed.
>
> Best regards,
> Ozy.
>
> centos-docs account: OzydeJong
> proposed subject: Virtualization of CentOS 5 in Hyper-V
> proposed location: Howtos/Virtualization/HyperV

I do not use Hyper-V myself ( I tried to avoid any Microsoft
product as much as I can, and I see no reason to use their hypervisor
since other free solutions exist) and therefore I cannot test, but I've
read the article and it seems sane enough. And quite similar to what one
must do to get better performance when using other popular solutions
such as VMWare.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:16 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Manuel Wolfshant
<wolfy@nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:
> On 03/17/2011 12:46 AM, Ozy the barbarian guitarist wrote:

>> As i wrote my articles in french, i'm willing to translate them so
>> they could fit your wiki.
>> Here's my inital article about Hyper-V & CentOS:
>> http://www.badministrateur.com/en/node/66
>>
>> I'm not the best admin out there as my blog's domain name suggests
>> (Bad Administrator :-), but all articles i wrote are tested and should
>> work.
>> I'm willing to help if needed.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Ozy.
>>
>> centos-docs account: OzydeJong
>> proposed subject: Virtualization of CentOS 5 in Hyper-V
>> proposed location: Howtos/Virtualization/HyperV
>>
> * * I do not use Hyper-V myself ( I tried to avoid any Microsoft
> product as much as I can, and I see no reason to use their hypervisor
> since other free solutions exist) and therefore I cannot test, but I've
> read the article and it seems sane enough. And quite similar to what one
> must do to get better performance when using other popular solutions
> such as VMWare.

I almost forgot about the fact wolfy is fluent in French. I thought
about asking Fabian because it has to do with 'French' and
'guitarist'. :-)

The article looks like a useful addition to the wiki. I also look
forward to seeing more contributions from Ozy.

Akemi

Old 03-16-2011, 10:35 PM

On Wed Mar 16 19:16:19 EDT 2011 Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com wrote:
>>On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Manuel Wolfshant

>> I do not use Hyper-V myself ( I tried to avoid any Microsoft
>> product as much as I can, and I see no reason to use their hypervisor
>> since other free solutions exist) and therefore I cannot test, but I've
>> read the article and it seems sane enough. And quite similar to what one
>> must do to get better performance when using other popular solutions
>> such as VMWare.

> I almost forgot about the fact wolfy is fluent in French. I thought
> about asking Fabian because it has to do with 'French' and
> 'guitarist'. :-)

> The article looks like a useful addition to the wiki. I also look
> forward to seeing more contributions from Ozy.

> Akemi

Most of my CentOS articles are about some kind of hybrid troll setups involving
Microsoft as these are my usual setups.
I have some stuff about CentOS as NT Domain controller, CentOS auths against
Active Directory, CentOS / Windows 7 samba compatibility guide.
Let's see if Microsoft compatibilty has its place in the CentOS world

Old 03-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Alan Bartlett

On 16 March 2011 23:16, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Manuel Wolfshant
> <wolfy@nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:
>> On 03/17/2011 12:46 AM, Ozy the barbarian guitarist wrote:
>
>>> As i wrote my articles in french, i'm willing to translate them so
>>> they could fit your wiki.
>>> Here's my inital article about Hyper-V & CentOS:
>>> http://www.badministrateur.com/en/node/66
>>>
>>> I'm not the best admin out there as my blog's domain name suggests
>>> (Bad Administrator :-), but all articles i wrote are tested and should
>>> work.
>>> I'm willing to help if needed.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Ozy.
>>>
>>> centos-docs account: OzydeJong
>>> proposed subject: Virtualization of CentOS 5 in Hyper-V
>>> proposed location: Howtos/Virtualization/HyperV

>> * * I do not use Hyper-V myself ( I tried to avoid any Microsoft
>> product as much as I can, and I see no reason to use their hypervisor
>> since other free solutions exist) and therefore I cannot test, but I've
>> read the article and it seems sane enough. And quite similar to what one
>> must do to get better performance when using other popular solutions
>> such as VMWare.

> I almost forgot about the fact wolfy is fluent in French. I thought
> about asking Fabian because it has to do with 'French' and
> 'guitarist'. :-)
>
> The article looks like a useful addition to the wiki. I also look
> forward to seeing more contributions from Ozy.

Looking at the "pretty pictures" -- as my French is quite minimal --
the proposed article seems to be quite reasonable. (Even though I
detest all software emanating from that Redmond based company.) To
play devils advocate (hope I'm not treading on Russ' toes -- as that
is, ad init., his prerogative) and reply to Wolfy's "lack of vision",
I say "diversity".

So if Ralph (or Russ) would please create a wiki home page for Ozy, we
can then see what the English version of the proposed page will look
like.

Alan.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Am 16.03.11 23:46, schrieb Ozy the barbarian guitarist:
> Hello,
>
> I've written a couple of articles about CentOS on my personal blog that
> i'd like to share.

http://wiki.centos.org/OzydeJong (and all pages you create below that)
is yours now.

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 03-17-2011, 10:20 PM
Ozy the barbarian guitarist

De : Ralph Angenendt <ralph.angenendt@gmail.com>
Envoyé le : Jeu 17 mars 2011, 21h 15min 52s

> http://wiki.centos.org/OzydeJong (and all pages you create below that)
> is yours now.
> Cheers,
> Ralph

I will post my translated article this weekend under it (i hope).
I'll also hope it to be transferred to Howtos/Virtualization/HyperV if it fits your standards.
Thanks.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Am 18.03.11 00:20, schrieb Ozy the barbarian guitarist:

> I will post my translated article this weekend under it (i hope).
> I'll also hope it to be transferred to Howtos/Virtualization/HyperV if
> it fits your standards.
> Thanks.

Sure,
go ahead

Ralph

Old 03-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Ozy the barbarian guitarist

Hello,

My wiki contribution about HyperV is ready*for evaluation.
http://wiki.centos.org/OzydeJong/HyperV

Cheers,
Ozy.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:19 PM
Manuel Wolfshant

On 03/20/2011 10:50 PM, Ozy the barbarian guitarist wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My wiki contribution about HyperV is ready for evaluation.
> http://wiki.centos.org/OzydeJong/HyperV
>
> Cheers,
> Ozy.

The article seems fine to me.
However I'd rephrase the legacy card part to something like "[...]please
create a temporary ethernet interface named eth0 by using a 'Legacy
Network Adapter' in your VM" and respectively "you can remove the
temporary interface " ( instead of legacy interface ) in the last
paragraph,

Manuel