Old 04-02-2011, 01:15 PM
Milos Blazevic

Default Wiki: Howtos/Virtualization/HyperV

Hello Ozy,

having used Hyper-V for about two years, ever since it was 'published'
in it's pre-release version immediately after release of Windows 2008
Server, I'm very glad you found the time to write a Wiki article on the
issue. I remember the time drifts in particular, and wasting two whole
days troubleshooting the problem until I finally got it resolved - and
at that time, LIC was not even at version 2.

However, I'm not here to chit-chat about my experiences with Hyper-V and
CentOS, but to point out another issue (more of a pain in the butt) with
this software setup, and that is - the rebuilding of the kernel modules
every time you reinstall the kernel - something very recommended with EL
distro such as CentOS. And, in this respect I'd like to add my
'contribution' by pointing you to the article addressing this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2387594

Yes, venturing to that domain does kinda make one a pilgrim in an unholy
land,... But regardless, Hyper-V environment is no longer available to
me - and hasn't been for the past 6 months or so, hence, I'm unable to
test this for myself... but it's still one of the battles I don't
consider won (by getting to the bottom of it) - and I think at least I
got even.

Having said that, I would really appreciate if you could review the
article, got back to me with your findings, and if the content from this
source could find it's way into this fine Wiki article of yours

Kind regards,
--
***Milos Blazevic*
Cert. No: 805010564450148

Old 04-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Am 02.04.11 15:15, schrieb Milos Blazevic:

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2387594

> Having said that, I would really appreciate if you could review the
> article, got back to me with your findings, and if the content from this
> source could find it's way into this fine Wiki article of yours

Does the license of that article allow that (I guess it could be
rewritten)?

I don't have a problem with the content (as dkms is available from
trusted repositories), so I'd have no problem with the inclusion either.
But yeah, maybe the main author of the article wants to chime in.

Ralph

Old 04-02-2011, 06:37 PM
Milos Blazevic

Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Am 02.04.11 15:15, schrieb Milos Blazevic:
>

>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2387594
>>
>> Having said that, I would really appreciate if you could review the
>> article, got back to me with your findings, and if the content from this
>> source could find it's way into this fine Wiki article of yours
>>

> Does the license of that article allow that (I guess it could be
> rewritten)?
>
> I don't have a problem with the content (as dkms is available from
> trusted repositories), so I'd have no problem with the inclusion either.
> But yeah, maybe the main author of the article wants to chime in.
>
> Ralph

Damn, you're 100% right, Ralph... This definitely is something that
should be taken into consideration. I really wouldn't like for this
suggestion to cause any
trouble to either CentOS Wiki or to Ozy... However, I sadly have to
admitt my knowledge is rather poor on this matter.

Hence, I'm hoping for someone with more experience in this legal stuff
to chime in.
(But then again, I really don't see the reason why would the "Redmond
heretics" mind - maybe not if the original article is pointed out as a
reference and source for some part of the CentOS Wiki article?)

***Milos Blazevic*

RHCE Cert. No: 805010564450148