Old 11-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Dag Wieers

Default Announcing the CentOS on Laptops initiative

Hi all,

I would like to announce a CentOS on Laptops initiative. The aim is to
allow everybody in the community (and on this mailinglist) to document
their own experience with CentOS on their laptop (on the CentOS wiki).

The goal of this initiative consists of 2 parts:

- help and convince people with their own CentOS on laptop installation

- promote CentOS on other Laptop websites and fill in this existing void

I hope that everyone think back about the experience on their existing
laptop and add it to the wiki, and document everything when doing future
laptop installations.

<insert your favorite motivational quote here ! >

--
-- dag wieers, dag@wieers.com, http://dag.wieers.com/ --

Old 11-25-2007, 08:03 PM
Karanbir Singh

Dag Wieers wrote:

Hi all,

I would like to announce a CentOS on Laptops initiative. The aim is to
allow everybody in the community (and on this mailinglist) to document
their own experience with CentOS on their laptop (on the CentOS wiki).

The goal of this initiative consists of 2 parts:

- help and convince people with their own CentOS on laptop installation

- promote CentOS on other Laptop websites and fill in this existing void

I hope that everyone think back about the experience on their existing
laptop and add it to the wiki, and document everything when doing future
laptop installations.

<insert your favorite motivational quote here ! >

if you can setup something on the wiki - perhaps a few templates and we
can all fill in a few. give people something to look at right off the
starting blocks, we can then announce this via the centos-announce list
and on the website etc...

I can definitely fill out atleast 5 different laptop configs that work
with centos-5.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:17 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Dag Wieers wrote:
> I hope that everyone think back about the experience on their existing
> laptop and add it to the wiki, and document everything when doing future
> laptop installations.

Hmmm.

I think we are reaching a stage, where we really have to think about a
different acl model on the wiki ...

Of course we can add a LaptopGroup now, which can edit all pages
underneath there, but I think that stuff is slowly going to kill us ...

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 11-26-2007, 09:31 AM
Karanbir Singh

Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> I think we are reaching a stage, where we really have to think about a
> different acl model on the wiki ...

I agree.

> Of course we can add a LaptopGroup now, which can edit all pages
> underneath there, but I think that stuff is slowly going to kill us ...

Ok, lets all get our heads together on this and come up with ideas. One
potential is to get a common access ACL thing in place, so once you are
on that list, you can edit anything.

The other thing is that we can split up the wiki by content type. So
developer and admin content goes under a stronger ACL, while the rest of
the stuff ( which is about 80% of the wiki anyway ) stays with a more
open acl model. Even this sort of a system will have a dozens
implementation routes.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:50 AM
"Cleber P. de Souza"

Hi.

Initially I think that the groups creating could be done by a group of
primary administrator and each new created group should have 1 ou 2
admins so that from this point on, these local group admins can manage
the acceptance, inclusion and delegation permissions for users inside
these groups and just inside it. This behavior will distribute the
responsability for minor groups and will help in case of problem
because these local group admins can affect only the local groups for
that they were delegated.

Just a suggestion.

On Nov 26, 2007 8:17 AM, Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos@br-online.de> wrote:
> Dag Wieers wrote:
> > I hope that everyone think back about the experience on their existing
> > laptop and add it to the wiki, and document everything when doing future
> > laptop installations.
>
> Hmmm.
>
> I think we are reaching a stage, where we really have to think about a
> different acl model on the wiki ...
>
> Of course we can add a LaptopGroup now, which can edit all pages
> underneath there, but I think that stuff is slowly going to kill us ...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ralph

***
Cleber P. de Souza

Old 11-26-2007, 04:13 PM
Dag Wieers

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> Dag Wieers wrote:
>
> > I would like to announce a CentOS on Laptops initiative. The aim is to
> > allow everybody in the community (and on this mailinglist) to document
> > their own experience with CentOS on their laptop (on the CentOS wiki).
> >

> > The goal of this initiative consists of 2 parts:
> >
> > - help and convince people with their own CentOS on laptop installation
> >
> > - promote CentOS on other Laptop websites and fill in this existing void
> >

> > I hope that everyone think back about the experience on their existing
> > laptop and add it to the wiki, and document everything when doing future
> > laptop installations.
> >

> > <insert your favorite motivational quote here ! >
>
> if you can setup something on the wiki - perhaps a few templates and we can
> all fill in a few. give people something to look at right off the starting
> blocks, we can then announce this via the centos-announce list and on the
> website etc...

I created an index for it at:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/

The template I still have to make, but it probably will change depending
on how it progresses. We also have to think about whether we want
different pages for each version of CentOS, or whether we put these on the
same page. (my preference since newer laptops will most likely be
installed with the newest CentOS anyway the older CentOS installs are
less relevant)

> I can definitely fill out atleast 5 different laptop configs that work with
> centos-5.

That would be great, I am going to do the same for the Thinkpad T41,
Thinkpad T43 and Thinkpad T60 and an old Toshiba laptop. (all of which
installed fine)

I also added the pages on the internet I could find wrt. CentOS and
laptops. These links would probably go into the page itself once these are
created.

So the template would probably have different entries:

= CentOS 5
== Specification
== Video
== Wireless
== Network
== Bluetooth

= CentOS 4

= Links
== Vendor pages
== Installation pages

I don't know yet what structure to use. I prefer to have a complete and
consistent structure for all laptops and allow for different HW
specifications to indicate it as such in the text. (At ThinkWiki that
works very well)

Old 11-26-2007, 04:21 PM
Dag Wieers

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Cleber P. de Souza wrote:

> On Nov 26, 2007 8:17 AM, Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos@br-online.de> wrote:
> > Dag Wieers wrote:
> > > I hope that everyone think back about the experience on their existing
> > > laptop and add it to the wiki, and document everything when doing future
> > > laptop installations.
> >
> > Hmmm.
> >
> > I think we are reaching a stage, where we really have to think about a
> > different acl model on the wiki ...
> >
> > Of course we can add a LaptopGroup now, which can edit all pages
> > underneath there, but I think that stuff is slowly going to kill us ...
>
> Initially I think that the groups creating could be done by a group of
> primary administrator and each new created group should have 1 ou 2
> admins so that from this point on, these local group admins can manage
> the acceptance, inclusion and delegation permissions for users inside
> these groups and just inside it. This behavior will distribute the
> responsability for minor groups and will help in case of problem
> because these local group admins can affect only the local groups for
> that they were delegated.
>
> Just a suggestion.

I would prefer to open it up to anyone who has registered. The real power
for a wiki is that it is easy to add and improve and the more levels of
complexity (and latency) you add before things can be added, the less
momentum you have.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Dag Wieers wrote:
> I would prefer to open it up to anyone who has registered.

There has to be *one* step more in it. Selfregistering and then getting
write access doesn't work (okay, it works for spammers).

Ralph

Old 11-26-2007, 05:04 PM
Dag Wieers

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Ralph Angenendt wrote:

> Dag Wieers wrote:
> > I would prefer to open it up to anyone who has registered.
>
> There has to be *one* step more in it. Selfregistering and then getting
> write access doesn't work (okay, it works for spammers).

Captcha's are not possible to avoid the SPAM ?

If the one step could take up more than 5 minutes (or even half an hour),
I think we lost momentum for those people that want to do it *now*, or
never.

If waiting for approval takes longer than the fix, I doubt many people
will go for the fix.