Old 12-03-2007, 03:32 PM
Alfredo Perez

Default Announcing the CentOS on Laptops initiative

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 07:02:40PM +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Johnny Tan wrote:
>
> > Lorenzo Quatrini wrote:
> > > I'm actually using CentOS on 2 laptops, and I have really few issues:
> > > on the newer one (a Lenovo) the only thing that doesn't work is sound (I
> > > know the newer alsa drivers would work, but I'm too lazy to install them:
> > > I'll wait for the updates) but it isn't a big deal: I'm using it for work,
> > > and I don't need sound
> >
> > I have CentOS-5 on a Thinkpad X61s and also only have sound as my major issue.
> > Otherwise, it's great and I see no reason to run Fedora/Ubuntu.
> >
> > Anyway, I'll throw up my experiences on the wiki soon, though it's been a few
> > months, so my memory's patchy.
> >
> > Dag, is this the correct page?
> > http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/
>
> It is. I forgot to send a link with the announcement :|
>

> > And are we supposed to do it on our own page and then link to it? Seems like
> > the existing ones are like that.
>
> No, I googled for specific keywords to find existing pages. These links
> eventually belong in their own Laptop-model pages.
>

> > Or, if we create a page on there, should multiple entries of the same laptop
> > model go on the same line somehow?
>
> What I prefer is to have one single page per Laptop model. And a different
> section for each CentOS version (starting with the latest, CentOS-5
> first).
>
> If people have their own blog articles or webpages about their laptop
> model, I would like to have this information reside inside of that page
> (now they are on the index page temporarily).
>
> Sadly, for now, you have to request access to be allowed to create or edit
> these pages. I hope in the future we will have a more liberal view wrt.
> the wiki.
>
> PS I created this structure for your X60 for now, I plan to add my own
> laptops soon (but it does not include a X60). If you can add your
> information to this existing page, I am sure this is very valuable for
> another X60 owner.

Last weekend I tried to install Centos 5.0 into my old Toshiba 4200.
No luck. The installation process stop in different places.

Any recommendations?

I tried Startcom which is also redhat based and the installation
process ended successfully.

I will keep trying to see if I can get my laptop to run Centos.
I will also share my findings when trying to get my laptop to connect
to the internet using bcm43xx using fwcutter, if that is ok you guys?

Alfredo
The Sauce

Old 12-04-2007, 01:16 AM
Dag Wieers

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007, Alfredo Perez wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 07:02:40PM +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:
> > >
> > > Or, if we create a page on there, should multiple entries of the same laptop
> > > model go on the same line somehow?
> >
> > What I prefer is to have one single page per Laptop model. And a different
> > section for each CentOS version (starting with the latest, CentOS-5
> > first).
> >
> > If people have their own blog articles or webpages about their laptop
> > model, I would like to have this information reside inside of that page
> > (now they are on the index page temporarily).
> >
> > Sadly, for now, you have to request access to be allowed to create or edit
> > these pages. I hope in the future we will have a more liberal view wrt.
> > the wiki.
> >
> > PS I created this structure for your X60 for now, I plan to add my own
> > laptops soon (but it does not include a X60). If you can add your
> > information to this existing page, I am sure this is very valuable for
> > another X60 owner.
>
> Last weekend I tried to install Centos 5.0 into my old Toshiba 4200.
> No luck. The installation process stop in different places.
>
> Any recommendations?

Do you have more information ? Where exactly did it stop ? What was in the
log ? Maybe try again with CentOS 5.1 ?

> I tried Startcom which is also redhat based and the installation
> process ended successfully.

Not sure if StartCom is RHEL. They have a release called 5.0.6, but no
clue to what that matches. What version of StartCom did you use ?

> I will keep trying to see if I can get my laptop to run Centos.
> I will also share my findings when trying to get my laptop to connect
> to the internet using bcm43xx using fwcutter, if that is ok you guys?

Great.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:06 AM
Trevor Benson

> Sadly, for now, you have to request access to be allowed to create or
> edit
> these pages. I hope in the future we will have a more liberal view wrt.
> the wiki.
>
> PS I created this structure for your X60 for now, I plan to add my own
> laptops soon (but it does not include a X60). If you can add your
> information to this existing page, I am sure this is very valuable for
> another X60 owner.

Can I get a Thinkpad R51 page setup if not already and access. About to blow out the FC6 and load CentOS 5 since I have to finagle the wifi every so often. Figured document as I go lest I forget.

Trevor

Old 12-06-2007, 09:35 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Trevor Benson wrote:
> Can I get a Thinkpad R51 page setup if not already and access. About
> to blow out the FC6 and load CentOS 5 since I have to finagle the wifi
> every so often. Figured document as I go lest I forget.

Create an account for yourself on wiki.centos.org - and give me the
account name.

I'll set it up for you then.

Generic Wiki contribution page: <http://wiki.centos.org/HowToContribute>

That was somehow missing in dag's mail

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 12-12-2007, 02:55 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Dag Wieers wrote:
> I hope that everyone think back about the experience on their existing
> laptop and add it to the wiki, and document everything when doing future
> laptop installations.

I created a Template (no, David G. Miller did) at
<http://wiki.centos.org/LaptopTemplate>.

Standard procedure for adding your content goes like this:

a) create yourself a wiki account
b) shout at me to give you editing rights under
<http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops>
c) Navigate to the page
<http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Manufacturer/Model> (replacing
Manufacturer and Model with your Laptop info, for example
Acer/T8674587G)
d) You are now prompted to create a new page: Please choose
LaptopTemplate from the list you are presented.
e) Fill out the information
f) Link to the page from the main Laptops page

Thanks, David!

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 12-13-2007, 06:48 PM
John Bowden

On Wednesday 12 December 2007 15:55:18 Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Dag Wieers wrote:
> > I hope that everyone think back about the experience on their existing
> > laptop and add it to the wiki, and document everything when doing future
> > laptop installations.
>
> I created a Template (no, David G. Miller did) at
> <http://wiki.centos.org/LaptopTemplate>.
>
> Standard procedure for adding your content goes like this:
>
> a) create yourself a wiki account
> b) shout at me to give you editing rights under
> <http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops>
> c) Navigate to the page
> <http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Manufacturer/Model> (replacing
> Manufacturer and Model with your Laptop info, for example
> Acer/T8674587G)
> d) You are now prompted to create a new page: Please choose
> LaptopTemplate from the list you are presented.
> e) Fill out the information
> f) Link to the page from the main Laptops page
>
> Thanks, David!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ralph

I have a HP510 notebook. I run Mandriva Linux on it. Would it be worth me down

Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of Parliament
with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)
Registered Linux user number 414240

Old 12-14-2007, 11:36 AM
Ralph Angenendt

John Bowden wrote:

> I have a HP510 notebook. I run Mandriva Linux on it. Would it be worth me down

We only have ze5377 and zv6015 at the moment, so yes, why not?

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 12-14-2007, 08:20 PM
John Bowden

On Friday 14 December 2007 12:36:41 Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> John Bowden wrote:
> > I have a HP510 notebook. I run Mandriva Linux on it. Would it be worth me
> > down loading the live version of CentOS and adding my experience to the
> > wiki?
>
> We only have ze5377 and zv6015 at the moment, so yes, why not?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ralph

Ok I will download it in the morning when I get home from work and have a play
with it early next week.