Old 11-28-2007, 02:23 PM
"David G. Miller"

Default Announcing the CentOS on Laptops initiative

"Matt Shields" <mattboston@gmail.com> wrote:

On Nov 27, 2007 10:37 AM, Count Of Dracula <countofdracula@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/26/07, Dag Wieers <dag@centos.org> wrote:

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I would like to announce a CentOS on Laptops initiative. The aim is to
> > allow everybody in the community (and on this mailinglist) to document
> > their own experience with CentOS on their laptop (on the CentOS wiki).
> >

> > The goal of this initiative consists of 2 parts:
> >
> > - help and convince people with their own CentOS on laptop installation

> Are you nuts? CentOS on laptop? Why you want to kill torture people in
> such a cruel way?
>
> Joy

Because some people may actually want to run a stable OS that will
have patches released for quite a while. Fedora is not an option for
most business people who rely on their laptops every day. Torture is
installing the latest Fedora every 6 months and hoping something
doesn't break. Some would say Fedora users are nuts.
I think you perfectly described my experience with Fedora on my laptop
(HP zv6015). I managed to coerce Fedora 4 onto it (even the install was
wonky until I learned about nofb). I got tired of chasing the latest
Fedora release and moved to CentOS 5 when it was released. I built a
custom kernel for a while so the card reader would work until enough
fixes got back ported that the stock kernel would read the SD card my
camera uses. Now everything (sort of) "just works (TM)". I say "sort
of" because I'm still running ndiswrapper since every time I've tried
the bcm43xx kernel module it hasn't worked with my WAP.

With CentOS 5 the laptop seems to be as stable as my desktop. About the
only time I ever boot the Windows XP Home partition is if there's a BIOS
update or something that HP doesn't release any other way. Can't
imagine torturing myself with XP.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce

Old 11-28-2007, 02:32 PM
"Bart Schaefer"

On Nov 28, 2007 7:23 AM, David G. Miller <dave@davenjudy.org> wrote:
> Now everything (sort of) "just works (TM)". I say "sort
> of" because I'm still running ndiswrapper since every time I've tried
> the bcm43xx kernel module it hasn't worked with my WAP.

I've had a similar experience with my HP. Did you manage to get
NetworkManager and ndiswrapper to co-operate? I had to disable
NetworkManager, but it'd be nice to use the profiles rather than
reconfigure the network when changing access points.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:42 PM
Dag Wieers

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:

> Les Mikesell wrote:
> > Dag Wieers wrote:
> >
> > > I would like to announce a CentOS on Laptops initiative. The aim is to
> > > allow everybody in the community (and on this mailinglist) to document
> > > their own experience with CentOS on their laptop (on the CentOS wiki).
> > >

> > > The goal of this initiative consists of 2 parts:
> > >
> > > - help and convince people with their own CentOS on laptop installation
> > >
> > > - promote CentOS on other Laptop websites and fill in this existing void
> > >

> > > I hope that everyone think back about the experience on their existing
> > > laptop and add it to the wiki, and document everything when doing future
> > > laptop installations.
> > >

> > Dell Latitude D600:
> > ipw200: eth1: ipw2100_get_firmware failed -2.
> >
> > Screen works, haven't tried the tv out.
>
> hmm, I have a D600 under centos5 and the wireless works fine - in fact
> everything works fine, and I don't remember fighting to get things working
> though it was a while ago
> did you install ipw2200-firmware (from rpmforge)?

This information is exactly what we want on the wiki. So people can extend
and improve it as things change or become known.

So I would prefer if one of you adds this information.

Thanks !

Old 11-28-2007, 05:02 PM
Dag Wieers

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Johnny Tan wrote:

> Lorenzo Quatrini wrote:
> > I'm actually using CentOS on 2 laptops, and I have really few issues:
> > on the newer one (a Lenovo) the only thing that doesn't work is sound (I
> > know the newer alsa drivers would work, but I'm too lazy to install them:
> > I'll wait for the updates) but it isn't a big deal: I'm using it for work,
> > and I don't need sound
>
> I have CentOS-5 on a Thinkpad X61s and also only have sound as my major issue.
> Otherwise, it's great and I see no reason to run Fedora/Ubuntu.
>
> Anyway, I'll throw up my experiences on the wiki soon, though it's been a few
> months, so my memory's patchy.
>
> Dag, is this the correct page?
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/

It is. I forgot to send a link with the announcement :|

> And are we supposed to do it on our own page and then link to it? Seems like
> the existing ones are like that.

No, I googled for specific keywords to find existing pages. These links
eventually belong in their own Laptop-model pages.

> Or, if we create a page on there, should multiple entries of the same laptop
> model go on the same line somehow?

What I prefer is to have one single page per Laptop model. And a different
section for each CentOS version (starting with the latest, CentOS-5
first).

If people have their own blog articles or webpages about their laptop
model, I would like to have this information reside inside of that page
(now they are on the index page temporarily).

Sadly, for now, you have to request access to be allowed to create or edit
these pages. I hope in the future we will have a more liberal view wrt.
the wiki.

PS I created this structure for your X60 for now, I plan to add my own
laptops soon (but it does not include a X60). If you can add your
information to this existing page, I am sure this is very valuable for
another X60 owner.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:36 PM
Dag Wieers

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> Dag Wieers wrote:
>
> > I would like to announce a CentOS on Laptops initiative. The aim is to
> > allow everybody in the community (and on this mailinglist) to document
> > their own experience with CentOS on their laptop (on the CentOS wiki).
>
> if you can setup something on the wiki - perhaps a few templates and we can
> all fill in a few. give people something to look at right off the starting
> blocks, we can then announce this via the centos-announce list and on the
> website etc...

I now added a page for a Thinkpad T43 and Thinkpad X60. There is also
information about a HP Pavilion already. I hope to add a template that we
can improve later this evening.

> I can definitely fill out atleast 5 different laptop configs that work with
> centos-5.

I'd say, start adding some info. I prefer if the information is added
during and after an installation, because from memory things get lost (my
Thinkpad T43 page is very slim).

I plan to do a reinstallation of my T43 only to make sure that the wiki
page is correct. I am als picking up my CentOS demo laptop (T41) this
evening and will do a reinstallation of CentOS 5 (or 5.1) in order to
improve the wiki information.

Also I prefer if we could move specific procedures out of the Laptop-model
page into a more generic page. (like how to install the firmware drivers,
or use ndiswrapper, or enable NetworkManager, or enable compiz)

All the simple things that everybody needs to do afterwards anyway could
as well be included from the index page. (especially the NetworkManager
or ndiswrapper is something that people do not find out themselves but
need a little guidance with)

Old 11-28-2007, 06:22 PM
"Bart Schaefer"

On Nov 28, 2007 10:36 AM, Dag Wieers <dag@centos.org> wrote:
> I now added a page for a Thinkpad T43 and Thinkpad X60. There is also
> information about a HP Pavilion already. I hope to add a template that we
> can improve later this evening.

I tossed that Pavilion page up there this morning. I'll clean it up
sometime after there's a template to work from.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:25 PM
"Shawn O'Shea"

[...]

I think it is cool to see this effort undertaken, thanks Dag! I may
need to install C5 on my Fujitsu that currently has Ubuntu on it.

Speaking of which, those guys have been maintaining both official and
user submitted laptop reports for awhile so you might want to take a
look over there and possibly borrow some cues or ideas for this project.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTesting
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeamTemplate

-Shawn

Old 11-28-2007, 11:01 PM
Les Mikesell

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:

Dell Latitude D600:
ipw200: eth1: ipw2100_get_firmware failed -2.

Screen works, haven't tried the tv out.

hmm, I have a D600 under centos5 and the wireless works fine - in fact
everything works fine, and I don't remember fighting to get things
working though it was a while ago

did you install ipw2200-firmware (from rpmforge)?

I hadn't, and adding it makes it recognize eth1 (but now it's not quite
Centos anymore...). But now I need it to use a WPA key at work and WEP
at home. Is that possible?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 11-29-2007, 02:01 PM
"David G. Miller"

"Bart Schaefer" <barton.schaefer@gmail.com> wrote:

On Nov 28, 2007 7:23 AM, David G. Miller <dave@davenjudy.org> wrote:

> Now everything (sort of) "just works (TM)". I say "sort
> of" because I'm still running ndiswrapper since every time I've tried
> the bcm43xx kernel module it hasn't worked with my WAP.

I've had a similar experience with my HP. Did you manage to get
NetworkManager and ndiswrapper to co-operate? I had to disable
NetworkManager, but it'd be nice to use the profiles rather than
reconfigure the network when changing access points.
I had it working for a while but it kept getting in the way when I was
trying to get the bcm43xx module working. I went back to my old system
of just having eth0 for the wired connection and eth1 for wireless and
user controllable. Other than my home network, I don't have any other
wireless networks that I connect to on a regular basis so this approach
lets me manually control what happens when I'm trying to connect to some
oddball network that I've never seen before and probably won't see again.

One thing I remember about getting NetworkManager and the piece that
handles keys (not gnome-keyring; don't remember the name right now and
the laptop is off) was to tell that piece to use the generic wireless
kernel API instead of the ndiswrapper control interface. Seems weird
but it worked. If you need more information, I can fire up the laptop
at some point.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce

Old 11-30-2007, 07:59 AM
Dag Wieers

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007, Shawn O'Shea wrote:

> I think it is cool to see this effort undertaken, thanks Dag! I may need to
> install C5 on my Fujitsu that currently has Ubuntu on it.
>
> Speaking of which, those guys have been maintaining both official and user
> submitted laptop reports for awhile so you might want to take a look over
> there and possibly borrow some cues or ideas for this project.
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTesting
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeamTemplate

That's an interesting read. The aim however seems to be different.
Although I am in favor of doing consistent Laptop tests as well, I prefer
listing solutions for common problems (most problems are not
model-specific) first and if this becomes a success, go one step further.

We also cannot fix most problems that are in the Ubuntu Test template
because we cannot change a lot of the packages from upstream. So we are by
design limited to providing documentation and providing drivers/tools to
make the user experience better.

However if we do have a problem with upstream provided packages, we should
definitely report them upstream.

Now my initial goal is to have more information regarding CentOS on
Laptops because that information is hard to find and because there is this
misconception that Enterprise Linux belongs on servers (or are unfit for
Laptops).