Old 11-26-2007, 08:48 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Default Announcing the CentOS on Laptops initiative

Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> > Dag Wieers wrote:
>>> I would prefer to open it up to anyone who has registered.
>>
>> There has to be *one* step more in it. Selfregistering and then getting
>> write access doesn't work (okay, it works for spammers).
>
> Captcha's are not possible to avoid the SPAM ?

Captchas don't work. If you do them easy enough, they can be solved
automatically, if they are too hard people cannot solve them. And if
you're (colour)blind, you're fucked anyway. There are no technical
solutions for social problems. Or do you get less spam than two years
ago - even with all those technical measurements in place?

> If the one step could take up more than 5 minutes (or even half an hour),
> I think we lost momentum for those people that want to do it *now*, or
> never.

It's not about the time, I think. *If* we say "All parts of the wiki are
editable by everyone, except some special parts which aren't open to the
public anyway", it's just some adding a WikiName to a list on the wiki.
If two or three people watch that, adding people is fast.

The real question is: Do we want everybody to be able to add stuff or do
we want to see some sample work before? Enabling people to add to the
wiki after they send you their WikiName is easy.

> If waiting for approval takes longer than the fix, I doubt many people
> will go for the fix.

Na, I don't think so. I get many mails about fixing stuff on the wiki. I
get close to no mails about people who want to write stuff on the wiki -
well, there are several here on the mailing list, but that's what this
mailing list is for.

As said: The real question we need to solve is "Do we want to lower the
bar regarding adding content?"

And I think the answer is yes. But the answer cannot be automated
registration - there are too many wikis on the net, where I already had
to revert pages which were destroyed by spammers.

But relaxation of ACLs and a lower entry level to write stuff - yes, I'm
all for it.

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 11-27-2007, 02:37 PM
"Count Of Dracula"

On 11/26/07, Dag Wieers <dag@centos.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to announce a CentOS on Laptops initiative. The aim is to
> allow everybody in the community (and on this mailinglist) to document
> their own experience with CentOS on their laptop (on the CentOS wiki).
>

> The goal of this initiative consists of 2 parts:
>
> - help and convince people with their own CentOS on laptop installation

Are you nuts? CentOS on laptop? Why you want to kill torture people in
such a cruel way?

Joy

Old 11-27-2007, 03:15 PM
"Matt Shields"

On Nov 27, 2007 10:37 AM, Count Of Dracula <countofdracula@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/26/07, Dag Wieers <dag@centos.org> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I would like to announce a CentOS on Laptops initiative. The aim is to
> > allow everybody in the community (and on this mailinglist) to document
> > their own experience with CentOS on their laptop (on the CentOS wiki).
> >

> > The goal of this initiative consists of 2 parts:
> >
> > - help and convince people with their own CentOS on laptop installation
>
> Are you nuts? CentOS on laptop? Why you want to kill torture people in
> such a cruel way?
>
> Joy

Because some people may actually want to run a stable OS that will
have patches released for quite a while. Fedora is not an option for
most business people who rely on their laptops every day. Torture is
installing the latest Fedora every 6 months and hoping something
doesn't break. Some would say Fedora users are nuts.

--
-matt

Old 11-27-2007, 03:26 PM
Lorenzo Quatrini

Matt Shields ha scritto:

I would like to announce a CentOS on Laptops initiative. The aim is to
allow everybody in the community (and on this mailinglist) to document
their own experience with CentOS on their laptop (on the CentOS wiki).

The goal of this initiative consists of 2 parts:

- help and convince people with their own CentOS on laptop installation

Are you nuts? CentOS on laptop? Why you want to kill torture people in
such a cruel way?

Joy

Because some people may actually want to run a stable OS that will
have patches released for quite a while. Fedora is not an option for
most business people who rely on their laptops every day. Torture is
installing the latest Fedora every 6 months and hoping something
doesn't break. Some would say Fedora users are nuts.

I'm actually using CentOS on 2 laptops, and I have really few issues:
on the newer one (a Lenovo) the only thing that doesn't work is sound (I know
the newer alsa drivers would work, but I'm too lazy to install them: I'll wait
for the updates) but it isn't a big deal: I'm using it for work, and I don't
need sound
My old crappy asus instead is just for watching movies attached to an external
flat lcd tv and it's doing his job wonderfully (even if it has some issue with
the integrated monitor)
So maybe I'm nuts, but I'm happy with not having to reinstall everything every
6/12 months.

Lorenzo

Old 11-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Johnny Tan

Lorenzo Quatrini wrote:

I'm actually using CentOS on 2 laptops, and I have really few issues:
on the newer one (a Lenovo) the only thing that doesn't work is sound (I
know the newer alsa drivers would work, but I'm too lazy to install
them: I'll wait for the updates) but it isn't a big deal: I'm using it
for work, and I don't need sound

I have CentOS-5 on a Thinkpad X61s and also only have sound
as my major issue. Otherwise, it's great and I see no reason
to run Fedora/Ubuntu.

One (more general, not CentOS-specific) problem that I have
is that there's no network profile manager. Traveling among
4 different locations (none with DHCP) means constantly
going in and changing my network settings. Anyone know of a
program to do something like what OS X does?

Anyway, I'll throw up my experiences on the wiki soon,
though it's been a few months, so my memory's patchy.

Dag, is this the correct page?
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/

And are we supposed to do it on our own page and then link
to it? Seems like the existing ones are like that.

Or, if we create a page on there, should multiple entries of
the same laptop model go on the same line somehow?

johnn

Old 11-27-2007, 06:28 PM
"Bart Schaefer"

On Nov 27, 2007 9:16 AM, Johnny Tan <linuxweb@gmail.com> wrote:
> One (more general, not CentOS-specific) problem that I have
> is that there's no network profile manager. Traveling among
> 4 different locations (none with DHCP) means constantly
> going in and changing my network settings. Anyone know of a
> program to do something like what OS X does?

There is a NetworkManager package for CentOS 4 and 5 which has a gnome
"helper" UI, but I found that it didn't play well with ndiswrapper
(which I needed because the bcm43xx driver didn't work for me) so I
ended up disabling it. Also it seems to want to have only one network
interface active at a time, i.e., I could not both plug in a wired
network and activate the wireless with NetworkManager.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:58 PM
Karanbir Singh

Johnny Tan wrote:
One (more general, not CentOS-specific) problem that I have is that
there's no network profile manager. Traveling among 4 different
locations (none with DHCP) means constantly going in and changing my
network settings. Anyone know of a program to do something like what OS
X does?

The idea of profiles has been around for about 4 - 5 years on
EL/CentOS/Fedora platforms. eg:

http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.1/Deployment_Guide/s1-network-profiles.html

Old 11-27-2007, 07:11 PM
Johnny Tan

Karanbir Singh wrote:
The idea of profiles has been around for about 4 - 5 years on
EL/CentOS/Fedora platforms. eg:

http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.1/Deployment_Guide/s1-network-profiles.html

D'oh! I've been using Network Manager for about that many
years too, and didn't realize I could create profiles! I
guess since they were under the "Devices" tab, I never
looked closely enough to see there were profile options.

Thanks!
johnn

Old 11-27-2007, 07:23 PM
Les Mikesell

Dag Wieers wrote:

I would like to announce a CentOS on Laptops initiative. The aim is to
allow everybody in the community (and on this mailinglist) to document
their own experience with CentOS on their laptop (on the CentOS wiki).

The goal of this initiative consists of 2 parts:

- help and convince people with their own CentOS on laptop installation

- promote CentOS on other Laptop websites and fill in this existing void

I hope that everyone think back about the experience on their existing
laptop and add it to the wiki, and document everything when doing future
laptop installations.

Dell Latitude D600:
ipw200: eth1: ipw2100_get_firmware failed -2.

Screen works, haven't tried the tv out.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 11-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg

Les Mikesell wrote:

Dag Wieers wrote:

I would like to announce a CentOS on Laptops initiative. The aim is to
allow everybody in the community (and on this mailinglist) to document
their own experience with CentOS on their laptop (on the CentOS wiki).

The goal of this initiative consists of 2 parts:

- help and convince people with their own CentOS on laptop installation

- promote CentOS on other Laptop websites and fill in this existing void

I hope that everyone think back about the experience on their existing
laptop and add it to the wiki, and document everything when doing future
laptop installations.

Dell Latitude D600:
ipw200: eth1: ipw2100_get_firmware failed -2.

Screen works, haven't tried the tv out.

hmm, I have a D600 under centos5 and the wireless works fine - in fact
everything works fine, and I don't remember fighting to get things
working though it was a while ago

did you install ipw2200-firmware (from rpmforge)?