-   -   rpm for r8168 (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-docs/48709-rpm-r8168.html)

Manuel Wolfshant 02-06-2008 02:06 PM

rpm for r8168

Hello

I've just been hit by one of the chipsets described at
http://wiki.centos.org/HardwareList/RealTekRTL8111b. Because

a) it does not work with the stock driver included in Centos 5.1 and
b) I am very lazy and I do not like manually compiling modules each time
a new kernel is installed (not to mention that I never forget anything,
except for the important things which always go under the radar unnoticed)
I ripped the r1000 rpm from rpmforge and created a dkms based rpm for
the r8168 driver.
Since others might find a use for it too, I have uploaded the rpm
(and it's corresponding source) at
http://wolfy.fedorapeople.org/dkms-r8168/. I am also thinking of linking
to it from the above mentioned wiki page. What do you think ?

Manuel

"Akemi Yagi" 02-06-2008 02:21 PM

rpm for r8168

On Feb 6, 2008 7:06 AM, Manuel Wolfshant <wolfy@nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've just been hit by one of the chipsets described at
> http://wiki.centos.org/HardwareList/RealTekRTL8111b. Because
> a) it does not work with the stock driver included in Centos 5.1 and
> b) I am very lazy and I do not like manually compiling modules each time
> a new kernel is installed (not to mention that I never forget anything,
> except for the important things which always go under the radar unnoticed)
> I ripped the r1000 rpm from rpmforge and created a dkms based rpm for
> the r8168 driver.
> Since others might find a use for it too, I have uploaded the rpm
> (and it's corresponding source) at
> http://wolfy.fedorapeople.org/dkms-r8168/. I am also thinking of linking
> to it from the above mentioned wiki page. What do you think ?
>

> Manuel

That would help users today. But how about offering it here?

https://projects.centos.org/trac/dasha/

to make it part of CentOS projects? There is a ticket for r8111:

https://projects.centos.org/trac/dasha/ticket/1

Akemi

Manuel Wolfshant 02-06-2008 02:33 PM

rpm for r8168

Akemi Yagi wrote:

[...]I ripped the r1000 rpm from rpmforge and created a dkms based rpm for
the r8168 driver.
Since others might find a use for it too, I have uploaded the rpm
(and it's corresponding source) at
http://wolfy.fedorapeople.org/dkms-r8168/. I am also thinking of linking
to it from the above mentioned wiki page. What do you think ?

Manuel

That would help users today. But how about offering it here?

https://projects.centos.org/trac/dasha/

to make it part of CentOS projects? There is a ticket for r8111:

https://projects.centos.org/trac/dasha/ticket/1

I've replied in trac, too.

manuel

Manuel Wolfshant 02-08-2008 10:11 PM

rpm for r8168

I've just been hit by one of the chipsets described at
http://wiki.centos.org/HardwareList/RealTekRTL8111b. Because

a) it does not work with the stock driver included in Centos 5.1 and
b) I am very lazy and I do not like manually compiling modules each
time a new kernel is installed (not to mention that I never forget
anything, except for the important things which always go under the
radar unnoticed)
I ripped the r1000 rpm from rpmforge and created a dkms based rpm for
the r8168 driver.
Since others might find a use for it too, I have uploaded the rpm
(and it's corresponding source) at
http://wolfy.fedorapeople.org/dkms-r8168/. I am also thinking of
linking to it from the above mentioned wiki page. What do you think ?

Manuel

So, any objections to editing
http://wiki.centos.org/HardwareList/RealTekRTL8111b and adding a
reference to my package ? Or maybe substitute suggestions / corrections
to my proposal ... ?

manuel

"Akemi Yagi" 02-09-2008 12:48 AM

rpm for r8168

On Feb 8, 2008 3:11 PM, Manuel Wolfshant <wolfy@nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:
> On 02/06/2008 05:06 PM, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I've just been hit by one of the chipsets described at
> > http://wiki.centos.org/HardwareList/RealTekRTL8111b. Because
> > a) it does not work with the stock driver included in Centos 5.1 and
> > b) I am very lazy and I do not like manually compiling modules each
> > time a new kernel is installed (not to mention that I never forget
> > anything, except for the important things which always go under the
> > radar unnoticed)
> > I ripped the r1000 rpm from rpmforge and created a dkms based rpm for
> > the r8168 driver.
> > Since others might find a use for it too, I have uploaded the rpm
> > (and it's corresponding source) at
> > http://wolfy.fedorapeople.org/dkms-r8168/. I am also thinking of
> > linking to it from the above mentioned wiki page. What do you think ?
> >

> > Manuel
> >

> So, any objections to editing
> http://wiki.centos.org/HardwareList/RealTekRTL8111b and adding a
> reference to my package ? Or maybe substitute suggestions / corrections
> to my proposal ... ?
>
> manuel

wolfy,

Is my observation correct that the rpm you are offering does not have
Require for dkms? Or could you also provide the instructions that
will help "newbies" install this driver? There was someone who was
looking for the driver for this particular card. He could not
understand the wiki and therefore was asking if there is some easier
method.

Akemi

Manuel Wolfshant 02-09-2008 01:11 AM

rpm for r8168