Old 02-09-2008, 07:26 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

Default rpm for r8168

On Feb 9, 2008 12:07 PM, Manuel Wolfshant <wolfy@nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:
> On 02/09/2008 09:33 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> > OK, here is another test. There is another person in the forum who
> > needs the driver. I posted this:
> >
> > http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12617&start=0#forumpost4152 1
> >
> > Hope this works out for him.
> Unfortunately I am very afraid that your advice will not help, because
> you've made a small confusion. My package is good for the 8111/8168
> chipset, but the person who asked for help has a R8169. His needs should
> be covered by Matthias's package

Ah, thanks for noticing.

Akemi

Old 02-09-2008, 10:41 PM
Manuel Wolfshant

On 02/09/2008 10:26 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:

On Feb 9, 2008 12:07 PM, Manuel Wolfshant <wolfy@nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:

On 02/09/2008 09:33 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:

OK, here is another test. There is another person in the forum who
needs the driver. I posted this:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12617&start=0#forumpost4152 1

Hope this works out for him.

Unfortunately I am very afraid that your advice will not help, because
you've made a small confusion. My package is good for the 8111/8168
chipset, but the person who asked for help has a R8169. His needs should
be covered by Matthias's package

Ah, thanks for noticing.

Thanks for promoting my package

Old 02-09-2008, 10:43 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Feb 8, 2008 7:30 PM, Ned Slider <nedslider@f2s.com> wrote:

> >> Well, IF a link to the rpm would be added in the wiki, it SHOULD contain
> >> something along the following lines:
> >> In order to use this driver <link to driver here>, you will need
> >> the dkms package available from rpmforge. Please add this repository to
> >> your list of local repositories (as described in
> >> http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories) and run the following commands:
> >> yum install dkms --enablerepo rpmforge
> >> rpm -Uvh <link to dkms-r8168.noarch.rpm>[*]
> >> Maybe also add some words about the benefit of dkms over lkmdl...
> >
> > Yes, brief instructions will be helpful. By the way, that "someone"
> > was in the CentOS forum and he apparently decided to buy a new card
> > that works out of the box (upon other's suggestion). I felt it was
> > appropriate advice given his "newbie" status.
> >
> Oops - sorry, I guess that was me
>
> I tried to word it as an alternative suggestion, giving him options,
> rather than deliberately steering him in that direction. Like you say
> Akemi, he didn't appear to have the knowledge to follow the current Wiki
> guide and I could see him getting frustrated by a perceived lack of
> progress (having a working Internet connection seems to be a critical
> requirement to most new users).

That was indeed a good suggestion. This person used an old nic and
got connected successfully. Well, now that he can access the network,
he is a good candidate for us to ask if he could try installing the
driver by following the instructions (I wrongly posted in other
thread). So I did:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=12467&forum=4 0

Hope he can make it :-D

Akemi

Old 02-09-2008, 11:52 PM
Ned Slider

I tried to word it as an alternative suggestion, giving him options,
rather than deliberately steering him in that direction. Like you say
Akemi, he didn't appear to have the knowledge to follow the current Wiki
guide and I could see him getting frustrated by a perceived lack of
progress (having a working Internet connection seems to be a critical
requirement to most new users).

That was indeed a good suggestion. This person used an old nic and
got connected successfully. Well, now that he can access the network,
he is a good candidate for us to ask if he could try installing the
driver by following the instructions (I wrongly posted in other
thread). So I did:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=12467&forum=4 0

Hope he can make it :-D

I saw

Be prepared to do some hand holding... from his first post in that
thread "Ran yum -Uvh *.rpm and it failed".

I normally find the first hurdle is becoming root, and the differences
between 'su' and 'su -'. Do we have a Wiki Tips and Tricks entry on that
yet??

Old 02-10-2008, 12:08 AM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Feb 9, 2008 4:52 PM, Ned Slider <nedslider@f2s.com> wrote:

> >> I tried to word it as an alternative suggestion, giving him options,
> >> rather than deliberately steering him in that direction. Like you say
> >> Akemi, he didn't appear to have the knowledge to follow the current Wiki
> >> guide and I could see him getting frustrated by a perceived lack of
> >> progress (having a working Internet connection seems to be a critical
> >> requirement to most new users).
> >
> > That was indeed a good suggestion. This person used an old nic and
> > got connected successfully. Well, now that he can access the network,
> > he is a good candidate for us to ask if he could try installing the
> > driver by following the instructions (I wrongly posted in other
> > thread). So I did:
> >
> > http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=12467&forum=4 0
> >
> > Hope he can make it :-D
> >
> I saw
>
> Be prepared to do some hand holding... from his first post in that
> thread "Ran yum -Uvh *.rpm and it failed".

This is why I initially hesitated to refer him to the link. But since
wolfy is a member of the forum now and he is incredibly kind, I
believe he would be willing to offer his hands. ;-)

> I normally find the first hurdle is becoming root, and the differences
> between 'su' and 'su -'. Do we have a Wiki Tips and Tricks entry on that
> yet??

This su versus su - issue is seen everywhere (mailing list, irc, etc).
So go right ahead with the wiki entry *you* suggested.

Akemi :-D

Old 02-10-2008, 12:56 AM
Manuel Wolfshant

This is why I initially hesitated to refer him to the link. But since
wolfy is a member of the forum now and he is incredibly kind, I
believe he would be willing to offer his hands. ;-)

I've added a quick howto to the pack:
http://wolfy.fedorapeople.org/dkms-r8168/quick_install.html. As usual, I
am open to suggestions about ways to improve / simplify it.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Manuel Wolfshant

Manuel Wolfshant wrote:

This is why I initially hesitated to refer him to the link. But since
wolfy is a member of the forum now and he is incredibly kind, I
believe he would be willing to offer his hands. ;-)

I've added a quick howto to the pack:
http://wolfy.fedorapeople.org/dkms-r8168/quick_install.html. As usual,
I am open to suggestions about ways to improve / simplify it.

Dag had the kindness to include my package in rpmforge, I have updated
the instructions on my fedorapeople page to reflect that.
Since I have no access in that section, could someone with proper access
rights please amend the "Solution" paragraph from
http://wiki.centos.org/HardwareList/RealTekRTL8111b ?

Manuel

Old 02-13-2008, 02:30 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Feb 13, 2008 4:42 AM, Manuel Wolfshant <wolfy@nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:
> Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> > On 02/10/2008 03:08 AM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> >> This is why I initially hesitated to refer him to the link. But since
> >> wolfy is a member of the forum now and he is incredibly kind, I
> >> believe he would be willing to offer his hands. ;-)
> >>
> > I've added a quick howto to the pack:
> > http://wolfy.fedorapeople.org/dkms-r8168/quick_install.html. As usual,
> > I am open to suggestions about ways to improve / simplify it.
> >
> Dag had the kindness to include my package in rpmforge, I have updated
> the instructions on my fedorapeople page to reflect that.
> Since I have no access in that section, could someone with proper access
> rights please amend the "Solution" paragraph from
> http://wiki.centos.org/HardwareList/RealTekRTL8111b ?
>
> Manuel

I have done this for you. Could you check that out to see if it looks okay?

Akemi

Old 02-13-2008, 02:30 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

Old 02-13-2008, 04:04 PM
lonely wolf

Dag had the kindness to include my package in rpmforge, I have updated
the instructions on my fedorapeople page to reflect that.
Since I have no access in that section, could someone with proper access
rights please amend the "Solution" paragraph from
http://wiki.centos.org/HardwareList/RealTekRTL8111b ?

Manuel

I have done this for you. Could you check that out to see if it looks okay?

Akemi

excellent, thanks a lot!
if you have the time, you could also add Asus P5B-VM to the list of
supported motherboards (that's one of those I have tested).

Manuel "I love opensource and collaborative work" Wolfshant