-   -   Italian Translation Team (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-docs/479101-italian-translation-team.html)

Andrea Veri 01-20-2011 07:09 PM

Italian Translation Team

hi,

my name is Andrea Veri and I'm currently involved into GNOME as the chairman of the GNOME Membership Committee and as a GNOME accounts manager.

I had a look at the centos wiki and did not find any information written in italian. I'm therefore here to start an italian translation team and maybe get a valid it.centos.org area dedicated to centos written in the italian language. (of course following all the criteria and the standards such page should have into the centos community)

As a note my wiki username is AndreaVeri.

I'm here for anything else you might want to know from me.

Thanks in advance,

Andrea

Ralph Angenendt 01-20-2011 09:52 PM

Italian Translation Team

Am 20.01.11 21:09, schrieb Andrea Veri:
> hi,
>
> my name is Andrea Veri and I'm currently involved into GNOME as the chairman of the GNOME Membership Committee and as a GNOME accounts manager.
>
> I had a look at the centos wiki and did not find any information written in italian. I'm therefore here to start an italian translation team and maybe get a valid it.centos.org area dedicated to centos written in the italian language. (of course following all the criteria and the standards such page should have into the centos community)

It would be wiki.centos.org/it/ :)

Do you have any specific tasks in mind already? Would you want to do
that only yourself (you having other tasks in the open source community
already) or with other people?

Regards,

Ralph

Andrea Veri 01-20-2011 10:10 PM

Italian Translation Team

Il giorno 20/gen/2011, alle ore 23.52, Ralph Angenendt ha scritto:

> It would be wiki.centos.org/it/ :)
>
> Do you have any specific tasks in mind already? Would you want to do
> that only yourself (you having other tasks in the open source community
> already) or with other people?

My original idea was:

1. setting up an italian istance of the centos website, e.g translating existing
centos website content moving it to a subdomain of the centos.org domain.
2. translating time by time the wiki into italian. (as you suggested wiki.centos.org/it)

I am actually starting this team alone, but I will be more than happy to have
someone helping me sooner or later. (mostly when someone will notice there
is an italian istance of centos needing help)

If you have any suggestion, I'll be happy to modify my original idea.

Thanks in advance,

Andrea

Ralph Angenendt 01-28-2011 08:51 AM

Italian Translation Team

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 12:10 AM, Andrea Veri <av@gnome.org> wrote:
> Il giorno 20/gen/2011, alle ore 23.52, Ralph Angenendt ha scritto:
>>
>> It would be wiki.centos.org/it/ :)
>>
>> Do you have any specific tasks in mind already? Would you want to do
>> that only yourself (you having other tasks in the open source community
>> already) or with other people?
>

> My original idea was:
>
> 1. setting up an italian istance of the centos website, e.g translating existing
> centos website content moving it to a subdomain of the centos.org domain.

Okay, we've been over this on IRC. At the moment I don't see a point
in translating what is on www.centos.org, as that isn't really
maintained (as you might have seen).

> 2. translating time by time the wiki into italian. (as you suggested wiki.centos.org/it)
>
> I am actually starting this team alone, but I will be more than happy to have
> someone helping me sooner or later. (mostly when someone will notice there
> is an italian istance of centos needing help)

I can give you write access for the it/ part of the wiki. There is an
automatism at work (which needs to be extended for it) which redirects
the reader to the english page if there is no translation. This means
one thing: Even if you translate a page, the title has to be exactly
the same as in the english version, so wiki.centos.org/HowTos/ becomes
wiki.centos.org/it/HowTos

One more thing: We have a half baked spanish translation (much work
has been done there, but there aren't any real updates to the pages as
original content changes) and a rather well maintained chinese
translation, where changes to the pages are picked up rather soonish.

So if you want to go ahead and translate things, keep in mind, that
things on the original pages might change all the time - and need to
be changed on translated pages, too.

So if you are like Timothy, who is doing most to all of the chinese
translation, that is fine. If you only want to translate a subset
(let's say the howtos) and keep them maintained, that is fine too. But
having a translation which begins to diverge from the original pages
is problematic. So if you have a few persons who are working on that,
it might be easier.

I don't want to curb your enthusiasm, these are just a few things
which should be thought about. And yes, it was easier to do so, when
the wiki was smaller :)

Cheers and sorry for the late answer, I know I wanted to get back to you sooner.

Ralph

Andrea Veri 01-28-2011 09:55 AM

Italian Translation Team

Il giorno 28/gen/2011, alle ore 10.51, Ralph Angenendt ha scritto:

> I can give you write access for the it/ part of the wiki. There is an
> automatism at work (which needs to be extended for it) which redirects
> the reader to the english page if there is no translation. This means
> one thing: Even if you translate a page, the title has to be exactly
> the same as in the english version, so wiki.centos.org/HowTos/ becomes
> wiki.centos.org/it/HowTos
>
> One more thing: We have a half baked spanish translation (much work
> has been done there, but there aren't any real updates to the pages as
> original content changes) and a rather well maintained chinese
> translation, where changes to the pages are picked up rather soonish.
>
> So if you want to go ahead and translate things, keep in mind, that
> things on the original pages might change all the time - and need to
> be changed on translated pages, too.
>
> So if you are like Timothy, who is doing most to all of the chinese
> translation, that is fine. If you only want to translate a subset
> (let's say the howtos) and keep them maintained, that is fine too. But
> having a translation which begins to diverge from the original pages
> is problematic. So if you have a few persons who are working on that,
> it might be easier.
>
> I don't want to curb your enthusiasm, these are just a few things
> which should be thought about. And yes, it was easier to do so, when
> the wiki was smaller :)
>
> Cheers and sorry for the late answer, I know I wanted to get back to you sooner.

well, I don't know if I can handle doing both this and an eventual work on the website.
The main priority seems to be the website at the moment since that is what a new user
see when he wants to know what CentOS is.

What do you think? as said I give my total availability in having a website built from its
bases to the latest details, but I guess now it's up to you to decide.

Andrea

Ralph Angenendt 01-28-2011 10:06 AM

Italian Translation Team

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Andrea Veri <av@gnome.org> wrote:
> What do you think? as said I give my total availability in having a website built from its
> bases to the latest details, but I guess now it's up to you to decide.

No, it's your decision what you want to put power into :)

Regards,

Ralph

Andrea Veri 01-28-2011 10:19 AM

Italian Translation Team

Il giorno 28/gen/2011, alle ore 12.06, Ralph Angenendt ha scritto:

> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Andrea Veri <av@gnome.org> wrote:
>> What do you think? as said I give my total availability in having a website built from its
>> bases to the latest details, but I guess now it's up to you to decide.
>
> No, it's your decision what you want to put power into :)

I would go for the website. This is what CentOS really need before anything
else at the moment.

Andrea

Phil Schaffner 01-29-2011 03:18 AM

Italian Translation Team

Andrea Veri wrote on 01/28/2011 06:19 AM:
> I would go for the website. This is what CentOS really need before anything
> else at the moment.

Andrea,

I commend your decision and your judgment. It would be really good to
see Website 2.0 become a reality.

Phil