Old 12-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Ed Heron

Default proposal TipsAndTricks/EditorDefaultNano

On my systems, I set nano to be the default editor. Is this something
that can be done with some sort of configuration script? I don't find
anything like system-switch-mail for editors.

I do it in my kickstart files, but it can easily be done from a
command line. Since nano is only useful to people using the command
line, I think it completely appropriate...

Is a document describing this short process desirable to have on the
wiki?

yum install -y nano
echo "set nowrap" >>/etc/nanorc
cat <<EOF >>/etc/profile.d/nano.sh
export VISUAL="nano"
export EDITOR="nano"
EOF

Old 12-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Marcus Moeller

Dear Ed.

> *On my systems, I set nano to be the default editor. *Is this something
> that can be done with some sort of configuration script? *I don't find
> anything like system-switch-mail for editors.
>
> *I do it in my kickstart files, but it can easily be done from a
> command line. *Since nano is only useful to people using the command
> line, I think it completely appropriate...
>
> *Is a document describing this short process desirable to have on the
> wiki?
>
> yum install -y nano
> echo "set nowrap" >>/etc/nanorc
> cat <<EOF >>/etc/profile.d/nano.sh
> export VISUAL="nano"
> export EDITOR="nano"
> EOF

You may want to add some notes about the ability to define these
variables on per user base:

echo "export EDITOR=nano" >> ~/.bash_profile && echo "export
VISUAL=nano" >> ~/.bash_profile

--
Greets
Marcus