-   -   but what if i don't care about centos 4? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-docs/437601-but-what-if-i-dont-care-about-centos-4-a.html)

JohnS 10-09-2010 10:34 AM

On Sat, 2010-10-09 at 05:58 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> so while i'm more than happy to write/update docs, i won't be
> spending any time whatsoever with centos 4. so what does one do under
> those circumstances? again, this is a perfectly serious question. i
> know it's not fair to short-change centos 4 -- i just have no interest
> in it.
>
> rday
---
Perhaps it bit you or something or rubbed you the wrong way?

Ohh, CentOS 4 is getting jealous already. Where's the love?

John

"Robert P. J. Day" 10-09-2010 10:52 AM

On Sat, 9 Oct 2010, JohnS wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-10-09 at 05:58 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> > so while i'm more than happy to write/update docs, i won't be
> > spending any time whatsoever with centos 4. so what does one do under
> > those circumstances? again, this is a perfectly serious question. i
> > know it's not fair to short-change centos 4 -- i just have no interest
> > in it.
> >
> > rday
> ---
> Perhaps it bit you or something or rubbed you the wrong way?
>
> Ohh, CentOS 4 is getting jealous already. Where's the love?

just to be clear, i have nothing whatsoever against centos 4. but
being that i'm relatively new to centos compared to most of the folks
here, i've never used it. and while it certainly deserves the love of
good documentation, it's simply a case of not enough hours in the day.

i'm already working with fedora, ubuntu and, now, centos 5. i just
don't have the time to install centos 4 and give it equal attention.
my current client is installing *new* systems -- there will be no
RHEL 4 whatever, so it would be a poor investment of my time to get
familiar with it.

in any event, the question remains -- should all centos doc pages
give equally meticulous coverage to both centos 4 and 5?

rday

Alan Bartlett 10-09-2010 02:27 PM

On 9 October 2010 11:52, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> *in any event, the question remains -- should all centos doc pages
> give equally meticulous coverage to both centos 4 and 5?

The CentOS wiki exists to provide documentation for all CentOS products.

As CentOS-4 is a valid CentOS product, it should have the same
treatment as C-5 and (in the future) C-6. That being said, a wiki page
could be written / maintained for C-5, with an note mentioning any C-4
variance at the appropriate place. Also, there are cases where a page
is only relevant for C-4, C-5 or C-X.

Alan.

Ralph Angenendt 10-10-2010 06:38 PM

Am 09.10.10 11:58, schrieb Robert P. J. Day:

> so while i'm more than happy to write/update docs, i won't be
> spending any time whatsoever with centos 4. so what does one do under
> those circumstances?

a) If there already is a page describing CentOS 4 and CentOS 5 uses a
different approach: Keep the content as is, mark it as "This is how to
do it in 4" and then add a "And this is how to do it in 5" section.

b) If there is no page describing things for 4, and 5 uses a different
approach: Add documentation for 5 and clearly state on the page, that
this is (probably) only valid on 5.

c) If both use the same approach: Nothing to do there, maybe a short
mention that it can be used on both.

When 6 comes out, the same approach seems to be doable.

Regards,

Ralph