Old 10-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Shaun Jones

Default Suggestion for "how to" section: easy way to install the JDK?

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Bob Stine <bob@waltonstine.net> wrote:

I've read website*http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/JavaOnCentOS.* I am a total newbie with CentOS, but currently, with update 21 of the Java 6 JDK and CentOS 5.5, the installing the JDK appears to be simpler:

1. Download the latest *rpm.bin jdk (as of today,jdk-6u21-linux-i586-rpm.bin) fromhttp://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/widget/jdk6.jsp

2. chmod +x the downloaded file.
3. su
4. Execute the file.

The main advantage
of this procedure is that you do not need to build an RPM.*
---
Bob Stine
bob@waltonstine.net* (703) 217-4784

Rule for living: What Would Clint Eastwood Do?

*
*Don't forget to add your symlinks*
--
Shaun
http://lostonsvault.org

twitter - http://twitter.com/lostson
identi - http://identi.ca/lostson

Old 10-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Milos Blazevic

Bob Stine wrote:
> I've read website http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/JavaOnCentOS
> <http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/JavaOnCentOS>. I am a total newbie
> with CentOS, but currently, with update 21 of the Java 6 JDK and
> CentOS 5.5, the installing the JDK appears to be simpler:
>
> 1. Download the latest *rpm.bin jdk (as of
> today,jdk-6u21-linux-i586-rpm.bin)
> fromhttp://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/widget/jdk6.jsp
> <http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/widget/jdk6.jsp>
> 2. chmod +x the downloaded file.
> 3. su
> 4. Execute the file.
>
> The main advantage of this procedure is that you do not need to build
> an RPM.
> ---
> Bob Stine
> bob@waltonstine.net <mailto:bob@waltonstine.net> (703) 217-4784
> /Rule for living: What Would Clint Eastwood Do?/

This issue with Wiki page has been discussed recently on the following
forum topic:
https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=116041&topic_id=28126&forum= 38#forumpost116041

and although I never got to reply to Alan Bartlett's proposition (sorry
Alan), cause I never got the time to go through the whole thing
thoroughly - been rather busy lately.

However, I am, in fact, interested in making adjustments to the Wiki
page - but sadly not the ones you proposed Bob, since the just won't do
the trick.
I have to admitt, I don't recall the above instructions (provided at
Sun/Oracle's web site - with the links to download the Sun Java SDK
package) ever
doing any good.

So, Ralph (or any other Wiki admin) would you be kind enough to escalate
my privileges in order for me to edit the JavaOnCentOS Wiki?

Of course, if we get to it, I'll make sure we discuss it thoroughly on
the mailing list before the changes go public.

--
*Milos Blazevic*

Cert. No: 805010564450148
Email: milos.blazevic@sbb.rs <mailto:milos.blazevic@sbb.rs>
Tel: 064/301 45 78

Old 10-09-2010, 04:04 AM
Jerry Amundson

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 8:33 PM, Milos Blazevic <milos.blazevic@sbb.rs> wrote:
> Bob Stine wrote:
>> Milos Blazivec wrote:
>>
>> * * /... I am, in fact, interested in making adjustments to the Wiki /
>> * * /page - but sadly not the ones you proposed Bob, since the just
>> * * won't do /
>> * * /the trick./
>>
>> Hmm. *I ran the executed the bin file, edited /etc/profile so that
>> PATH included the "bin" directory of the sun jdk directory, added
>> environment variable JDK_HOME, *deleted the /usr/bin/java symlink from
>> java -> /etc/alternative/java, and everything works, or at least well
>> enough for me to run the Eclipse C++ IDE, which was my goal.
>>
>> Maybe adding the jdk was unnecessary for Eclipse to work?
>>
>> Could you unpack "just won't do", or point to a discussion of the issue?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> ---
>> Bob Stine
>> bob@waltonstine.net <mailto:bob@waltonstine.net> *(703) 217-4784
>> /Rule for living: What Would Clint Eastwood Do?/
>>
> What I meant is that the instructions you suggested in your first e-mail
> are taken from:
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/install-linux-64-rpm-138254.html
> and are all but comprehensive, let alone appropriate for beginners.
> These installation instructions have been accompanying Sun Java as long
> as I can remember, and "strangely", no one cared to mention 'em in the
> Wiki page... don't you think that's kinda odd? I don't - 'cause they
> don't work!
>
> This second part (editing /etc/profiles, deleting symlinks and editing
> PATH...) is NOT what you mentioned in your first e-mail. However, in my
> honest opinion, this is still not the correct way to do this.
>
> What you did, is that you probably got it to work for Your particular
> purpose by resorting to an unconventional method (i.e. circumvent the
> mechanism intended for this purpose, rather than a by-the-book
> approach). By solving the problem this way, sooner or later you'll end
> up breaking something. Maintenance may prove difficult later

Agreed. Sometimes the road best taken is the one not yet travelled.

jerry

Old 10-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Ned Slider

On 09/10/10 13:13, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Oct 2010, Ned Slider wrote:
>
>> Are these redistributable? I'm sure they are as Red Hat has
>> Sun's Java packages on it's RHEL Supplementary disk for
>> RHEL5 which it (re)distributes to customers.
>
> No, not without exposing oneself to some liability and
> obligations to Sun / Oracle.
>
> -- Russ herrold

OK, thanks for that Russ, and probably explains why no one has done the
obvious before now!

Regards.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Am 09.10.10 01:18, schrieb Milos Blazevic:
> Of course, if we get to it, I'll make sure we discuss it thoroughly on
> the mailing list before the changes go public.

Sure, MilosBlazevic can now edit that page.

Regards,

Ralph

Old 10-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Milos Blazevic

Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Am 09.10.10 01:18, schrieb Milos Blazevic:
>
>> Of course, if we get to it, I'll make sure we discuss it thoroughly on
>> the mailing list before the changes go public.
>>

> Sure, MilosBlazevic can now edit that page.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ralph

Thanks, I'll come back shortly with my suggestion for page changes.

--
*Srdacan pozdrav,*