Old 10-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Bob Stine

Default Suggestion for "how to" section: easy way to install the JDK?

I've read website*http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/JavaOnCentOS.* I am a total newbie with CentOS, but currently, with update 21 of the Java 6 JDK and CentOS 5.5, the installing the JDK appears to be simpler:

1. Download the latest *rpm.bin jdk (as of today,jdk-6u21-linux-i586-rpm.bin) fromhttp://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/widget/jdk6.jsp
2. chmod +x the downloaded file.
3. su
4. Execute the file.

The main advantage
of this procedure is that you do not need to build an RPM.* ---
Bob Stine
bob@waltonstine.net* (703) 217-4784 Rule for living: What Would Clint Eastwood Do?

Old 10-09-2010, 12:13 PM
R P Herrold

On Sat, 9 Oct 2010, Ned Slider wrote:

> Are these redistributable? I'm sure they are as Red Hat has
> Sun's Java packages on it's RHEL Supplementary disk for
> RHEL5 which it (re)distributes to customers.

No, not without exposing oneself to some liability and
obligations to Sun / Oracle.

-- Russ herrold

Old 10-10-2010, 02:26 AM
R P Herrold

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:

> As Russ has said, they are not.

More context (said in our back archive, but recapped recently
[and it should have crossed http://planet.centos.org/ when I
issued this update] at
http://orcorc.blogspot.com/2010/08/chickens-coming-home-to-roost.html
which point to the primary source of the analysis of problems
a license and rights review turned up)

> Indeed. Unfortunately we are not there. Not yet.

Really, I do not see a future in which Oracle CAN sufficiently
'free' Java at least through v 1.6 series; and the related
test kit [assuming for the sake of argument that it was
INCLINED to do so]. The upshot of recent LSB calls is that
the 'trial use' of Java will be withdrawn in the upcoming 4.1
refresh, until and unless this future brightens [probably at
least 2-3 years]

-- Russ herrold