Old 10-07-2010, 09:48 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default suggestion for HOWTO: bonding multiple NICs

a student in my RHEL admin class this week specifically asked how to
use multiple NICs to add fault tolerance. a good question, i thought.
perhaps adding a short HOWTO on that wouldn't be out of line,
something like this:

http://www.how2centos.com/how-to-set-up-network-bonding-with-centos-5x/

i could even add that as a lab for future classes, where i simply
add two USB network adapters to the student's machine and make it an
exercise to set up bonding across them. just a thought.

rday

Old 10-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Eduardo Grosclaude

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 6:48 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> *a student in my RHEL admin class this week specifically asked how to
> use multiple NICs to add fault tolerance. *a good question, i thought.
> perhaps adding a short HOWTO on that wouldn't be out of line,
> something like this:
>
> http://www.how2centos.com/how-to-set-up-network-bonding-with-centos-5x/
>
> *i could even add that as a lab for future classes, where i simply
> add two USB network adapters to the student's machine and make it an
> exercise to set up bonding across them. *just a thought.

http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/BondingInterfaces does exist, you
may want to put it in sync and check for accuracy as it seems to deal
with CentOS 4 only.

--
Eduardo Grosclaude
Universidad Nacional del Comahue

Old 10-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Am 08.10.10 01:19, schrieb Eduardo Grosclaude:
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 6:48 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>> a student in my RHEL admin class this week specifically asked how to
>> use multiple NICs to add fault tolerance. a good question, i thought.
>> perhaps adding a short HOWTO on that wouldn't be out of line,
>> something like this:
>> http://www.how2centos.com/how-to-set-up-network-bonding-with-centos-5x/

Why the F*** does everybody think he has to do his own "docs" page
instead of working with CentOS to have that documentation in one place?
*SIGH*

>> i could even add that as a lab for future classes, where i simply
>> add two USB network adapters to the student's machine and make it an
>> exercise to set up bonding across them. just a thought.
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/BondingInterfaces does exist, you
> may want to put it in sync and check for accuracy as it seems to deal
> with CentOS 4 only.

Which would lead to the question: Do you, Robert P. J. Day, want to
update that page to something more current? >

Regards,

Ralph

Old 10-10-2010, 08:31 PM
R P Herrold

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010, Ralph Angenendt wrote:

> Why the F*** does everybody think he has to do his own
> "docs" page instead of working with CentOS to have that
> documentation in one place? *SIGH*

Probably the same reason that some in CentOS feel a need to
maintain a local wiki chock full of non-unique restatement of
matter NOT unique to CentOS, rather than 'upstreaming'
improvements to flow down to all below

There is ancient precedent from the outside counsel to the
upstream asserting that they do NOT want 'deep linking' into
the upstream's content, but ...

http://lists.freshrpms.net/pipermail/freshrpms-list/2005-February/012515.html

particularly:

> Moreover, our client does not allow others to provide links
> to our client's web site without permission.

http://www.pnaelv.com/letter_body/

-- Russ herrold