Old 10-07-2010, 11:29 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default update HOWTO page for how to copy ssh pub keys

here:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Network/SecuringSSH

the recipe for how to copy your id_rsa.pub file to a remote system is
given as:

"Copy the public key (id_rsa.pub) to the server and install it to the
authorized_keys list:

$ cat id_rsa.pub >> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys"

i suspect it would be better if that were rewritten in terms of
using ssh-copy-id, just to be simpler and less error-prone.

rday

Old 10-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Ned Slider

On 07/10/10 12:29, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> here:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Network/SecuringSSH
>
> the recipe for how to copy your id_rsa.pub file to a remote system is
> given as:
>
> "Copy the public key (id_rsa.pub) to the server and install it to the
> authorized_keys list:
>
> $ cat id_rsa.pub>> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys"
>
> i suspect it would be better if that were rewritten in terms of
> using ssh-copy-id, just to be simpler and less error-prone.
>
> rday

Thanks for volunteering :-)

Please submit your proposed changes to this list and we can make it happen.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:51 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010, Ned Slider wrote:

> On 07/10/10 12:29, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> > here:
> >
> > http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Network/SecuringSSH
> >
> > the recipe for how to copy your id_rsa.pub file to a remote system is
> > given as:
> >
> > "Copy the public key (id_rsa.pub) to the server and install it to the
> > authorized_keys list:
> >
> > $ cat id_rsa.pub>> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys"
> >
> > i suspect it would be better if that were rewritten in terms of
> > using ssh-copy-id, just to be simpler and less error-prone.
> >
> > rday
> >

> Thanks for volunteering :-)
>
> Please submit your proposed changes to this list and we can make it
> happen.

ok, since i don't have edit access to the wiki, do i simply post
proposed changes to this list in terms of precisely what text should
be replaced by newer text?

rday

Old 10-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Dag Wieers

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> here:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Network/SecuringSSH
>
> the recipe for how to copy your id_rsa.pub file to a remote system is
> given as:
>
> "Copy the public key (id_rsa.pub) to the server and install it to the
> authorized_keys list:
>
> $ cat id_rsa.pub >> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys"
>
> i suspect it would be better if that were rewritten in terms of
> using ssh-copy-id, just to be simpler and less error-prone.

Remember that this was likely written for CentOS 4, which did not have
that tool as part of openssh. So we might want to provide an option for
both cases ?

--
-- dag wieers, dag@wieers.com, http://dag.wieers.com/ --

Old 10-07-2010, 12:04 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010, Dag Wieers wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Oct 2010, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> > here:
> >
> > http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Network/SecuringSSH
> >
> > the recipe for how to copy your id_rsa.pub file to a remote system is
> > given as:
> >
> > "Copy the public key (id_rsa.pub) to the server and install it to the
> > authorized_keys list:
> >
> > $ cat id_rsa.pub >> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys"
> >
> > i suspect it would be better if that were rewritten in terms of
> > using ssh-copy-id, just to be simpler and less error-prone.
>
> Remember that this was likely written for CentOS 4, which did not
> have that tool as part of openssh. So we might want to provide an
> option for both cases ?

ah, good point. i suspect the most effective rewrite would be 3
parts:

* a general description of what is being done, files involved,
what's copied, proper file/dir permissions for it to work
properly, etc.
* the manual way it's done on centos 4
* the newer, simpler centos 5 way involving ssh-copy-id

and that would do it.

rday

Old 10-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Phil Schaffner

Robert P. J. Day wrote on 10/07/2010 07:51 AM:
> ok, since i don't have edit access to the wiki, do i simply post
> proposed changes to this list in terms of precisely what text should
> be replaced by newer text?

Perhaps it is time to remedy that situation. Have you created a
WikiName (RobertDay might be a good choice) and requested edit rights to
a page or pages?

Phil

Old 10-07-2010, 09:19 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010, Phil Schaffner wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote on 10/07/2010 07:51 AM:
> > ok, since i don't have edit access to the wiki, do i simply
> > post proposed changes to this list in terms of precisely what text
> > should be replaced by newer text?
>
> Perhaps it is time to remedy that situation. Have you created a
> WikiName (RobertDay might be a good choice) and requested edit
> rights to a page or pages?

i asked for those rights once and was told i wasn't getting them.
so i'm just posting suggestions.

rday

Old 10-07-2010, 09:25 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010, Phil Schaffner wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote on 10/07/2010 07:51 AM:
> > ok, since i don't have edit access to the wiki, do i simply post
> > proposed changes to this list in terms of precisely what text should
> > be replaced by newer text?
>
> Perhaps it is time to remedy that situation. Have you created a
> WikiName (RobertDay might be a good choice) and requested edit
> rights to a page or pages?

BTW, i do have a wiki username: RobDay. i simply don't have edit
rights.

rday

Old 10-07-2010, 09:37 PM
R P Herrold

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> i asked for those rights once and was told i wasn't getting them.
> so i'm just posting suggestions.

ehh? Where? Not that I see, cruising this, but I may be
missing something

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-docs/2010-September/thread.html

-- Russ herrold

Old 10-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Phil Schaffner

Robert P. J. Day wrote on 10/07/2010 05:25 PM:
> BTW, i do have a wiki username: RobDay. i simply don't have edit
> rights.

Perhaps Ralph will now be willing to remedy that.

Phil