-   -   possible additional comment regarding newer PHP (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-docs/431711-possible-additional-comment-regarding-newer-php.html)

"Robert P. J. Day" 09-25-2010 08:33 PM

possible additional comment regarding newer PHP

again, from here:

http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/CentOS5

regarding a newer version of PHP, a number of PHP experts that i know
of suggest that, if you truly need an up-to-date version of PHP, you
should:

rpm -ivh http://rpms/famillecollet.com/enterprise/remi-release-5.rpm

while remi collet's repo isn't official, it's accepted by numerous
developers as a reliable source of newer PHP packages (5.3.3), so it
seems that could be added with the appropriate disclaimer.

rday

http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

"John R. Dennison" 09-25-2010 08:36 PM

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 04:33:11PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> rpm -ivh http://rpms/famillecollet.com/enterprise/remi-release-5.rpm
>
> while remi collet's repo isn't official, it's accepted by numerous
> developers as a reliable source of newer PHP packages (5.3.3), so it
> seems that could be added with the appropriate disclaimer.

We are, for the most part, recommending IUScommunity as the
repo of choice for php-5.2 and php-5.3 these days on #centos.

The URL above is also invalid.

John

--
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, they will not care
how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you

-- Marcus Aurelius (121-180), philosopher and writer

"Robert P. J. Day" 09-25-2010 09:01 PM

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010, John R. Dennison wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 04:33:11PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> > rpm -ivh http://rpms/famillecollet.com/enterprise/remi-release-5.rpm
> >
> > while remi collet's repo isn't official, it's accepted by numerous
> > developers as a reliable source of newer PHP packages (5.3.3), so it
> > seems that could be added with the appropriate disclaimer.
>
> We are, for the most part, recommending IUScommunity as the
> repo of choice for php-5.2 and php-5.3 these days on #centos.
>
> The URL above is also invalid.

crap ... that's what i get for manual reproduction. sorry.