Old 06-13-2010, 12:03 AM
Maulvi Bakar

Default HowTos - 21. CentOS Guidelines - How to create public mirrors for CentOS

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 2:04 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:

On 12/06/2010 07:33, Maulvi Bakar wrote:

> Hello everyone

> I would like to propose additions in the wiki for - "HowTos - 21. CentOS

> Guidelines - How to create public mirrors for CentOS"

isnt there already a lot of material on this in the wiki and on the

website ?

It's true that the material available on the wiki and the website can be considered sufficient.

In a recent discussion on the centos-mirror mailling list, some topics was raised with frequency, notably in the areas on the size of the mirror specifically on each architectures. There are other queries too pertaining to DVD ISOs and to a lesser degree, new sites announcements.

The proposal is mainly to address these 'frequently' asked questions. Other proposed additions that was listed are mainly extras or bonuses - things that I think would helpful and beneficial to the community, speeding up deployments of new mirrors by having some of the technical questions pre-answered in a howto.

Hope this clarifies things.
*

Old 06-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Ralph Angenendt

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 8:04 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> On 12/06/2010 07:33, Maulvi Bakar wrote:
>>
>> Hello everyone
>>
>> I would like to propose additions in the wiki for - "HowTos - 21. CentOS
>> Guidelines - How to create public mirrors for CentOS"
>
> isnt there already a lot of material on this in the wiki and on the
> website ?

Yeah, but is it all in one place? I haven't looked, I must admit. But
I'd hate to duplicate efforts, too - although I'd like to see
documentation rather in the wiki than on the website.

Ralph

Old 06-16-2010, 10:08 PM
Maulvi Bakar

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 6:36 AM, Ralph Angenendt <ralph.angenendt@gmail.com> wrote:

Am 14.06.10 20:52, schrieb Karanbir Singh:

> On 06/14/2010 03:33 PM, Ralph Angenendt wrote:

>> Yeah, but is it all in one place? I haven't looked, I must admit. But

> I doubt its in one place. Which might be why the questions around it get

> asked often.

Yupp. That's why I was asking.

>> I'd hate to duplicate efforts, too - although I'd like to see

>> documentation rather in the wiki than on the website.

> Would something like this fit under a Mirror section under the InfraWiki

> ? Or you think its worth keeping completely independent of that.

Were the infrawiki more prominently linked ...

I guess it belongs under there - InfraWiki/Docs/BecomeMirror or

something like that - but needs to be linked from the HowTo section.

Ralph

Hi all

I guess, as per http://wiki.centos.org/Contribute -* 3. Contribute to the Wiki, I am being persistent.

I am reposting again the proposal below -

I would like to propose additions in the wiki for -
"HowTos - 21. CentOS Guidelines - How to create public mirrors for
CentOS"

Summary details of the proposed additions

- sample rsync script with exclusion options specific to Centos project
mirroring

- howto do a rsync script lockfile
- crontab examples & synchronization frequency
- arch mirror sizes (3.9, 4.8, 5.5)
- Essential
Files/Folders to Mirror
- DVD ISOs
- How to announce your mirror

This proposal is to address on details that has been cropping up on the mailling list with some frequency which mostly centered around the size of
the mirror specifically on each architectures, usually on size requirements. DVD ISOs is terms of availability and synchronizations sources are the secondary topics being usually asked. To a lesser degree, new sites
announcements.

The proposal is mainly to address these 'frequently' asked
questions. Other proposed additions that was listed are mainly extras or
bonuses - things that I think would be helpful and beneficial to the
community, speeding up deployments of new mirrors by having some of the
technical questions pre-answered in a howto.

hope my proposal is acceptable..

Sincere regards and thanks

Maulvi Bakar
(Wiki Username - "MaulviBakar")

Old 06-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Ralph Angenendt

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:08 AM, Maulvi Bakar <maulvi@maulvi.net> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I guess, as per http://wiki.centos.org/Contribute -* 3. Contribute to the
> Wiki, I am being persistent.

Good >

> The proposal is mainly to address these 'frequently' asked questions. Other
> proposed additions that was listed are mainly extras or bonuses - things
> that I think would be helpful and beneficial to the community, speeding up
> deployments of new mirrors by having some of the technical questions
> pre-answered in a howto.
>
> I hope my proposal is acceptable..

Yeah, I think the bantering here was more about where to put a
document like that, and I must admint that I am still not perfectly
sure on where to put that.

But: Let me give you access to your "Homepage" on the Wiki, you can
then create the article under there for others to look at it. In the
meanwhile it might become clearer on where to put that article.

MaulviBakar <- is that your wiki account?

Regards,

Ralph

Old 06-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Maulvi Bakar

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:03 PM, Ralph Angenendt <ralph.angenendt@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:08 AM, Maulvi Bakar <maulvi@maulvi.net> wrote:

> Hi all

> I guess, as per http://wiki.centos.org/Contribute -* 3. Contribute to the

> Wiki, I am being persistent.

Good >

> The proposal is mainly to address these 'frequently' asked questions. Other

> proposed additions that was listed are mainly extras or bonuses - things

> that I think would be helpful and beneficial to the community, speeding up

> deployments of new mirrors by having some of the technical questions

> pre-answered in a howto.

> I hope my proposal is acceptable..

Yeah, I think the bantering here was more about where to put a

document like that, and I must admint that I am still not perfectly

sure on where to put that.

But: Let me give you access to your "Homepage" on the Wiki, you can

then create the article under there for others to look at it. In the

meanwhile it might become clearer on where to put that article.

MaulviBakar <- is that your wiki account?

Regards,

Ralph

Hi Ralph

Thank you for responding* ;-)

Yes, my wiki account's username is "MaulviBakar".

In regards to the document location, IMHO I'd say a link should be added to FAQ section of the InfraWiki to the current location of HowTo, which if approved, to be expanded.

Sincere regards and thanks

Maulvi Bakar

Old 06-21-2010, 04:01 AM
Maulvi Bakar

Am 17.06.10 18:18, schrieb Maulvi Bakar:

> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:03 PM, Ralph Angenendt

> <ralph.angenendt@gmail.com <mailto:ralph.angenendt@gmail.com>> wrote:

> * * On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:08 AM, Maulvi Bakar <maulvi@maulvi.net

> * * <mailto:maulvi@maulvi.net>> wrote:

> * * > Hi all

> * * >

> * * > I guess, as per http://wiki.centos.org/Contribute - *3. Contribute

> * * to the

> * * > Wiki, I am being persistent.

> * * Good >

> * * > The proposal is mainly to address these 'frequently' asked

> * * questions. Other

> * * > proposed additions that was listed are mainly extras or bonuses -

> * * things

> * * > that I think would be helpful and beneficial to the community,

> * * speeding up

> * * > deployments of new mirrors by having some of the technical questions

> * * > pre-answered in a howto.

> * * >

> * * > I hope my proposal is acceptable..

> * * Yeah, I think the bantering here was more about where to put a

> * * document like that, and I must admint that I am still not perfectly

> * * sure on where to put that.

> * * But: Let me give you access to your "Homepage" on the Wiki, you can

> * * then create the article under there for others to look at it. In the

> * * meanwhile it might become clearer on where to put that article.

> * * MaulviBakar <- is that your wiki account?

> * * Regards,

> * * Ralph

> Hi Ralph

> Thank you for responding *;-)

> Yes, my wiki account's username is "MaulviBakar".

http://wiki.centos.org/MaulviBakar is "all yours", so why don't you

start the document under there and then

> In regards to the document location, IMHO I'd say a link should be added

> to FAQ section of the InfraWiki to the current location of HowTo, which

> if approved, to be expanded.

we'll see where it fits. I'm thinking putting it in the InfraWiki space

and then linking to it from the HowTo section seems to be the best at

the moment.

Sorry for taking so long to answer, but there's a soccer

worldchampionship happening out there >

Ralph

HI Ralph
Thank you for the access.. I'll have the sample page up soon..
As to the location, putting it in the InfraWiki and linking it from the*HowTo or the other way round will work the same *;-)

Paraguay played well yesterday and so did the All Whites.. *A pity for Kaka though, a very undeserved sending off. I know the South*Americans*are the favourites this year but I'd prefer a European team to win the world cup this time around again but Europe's favourites seems enigmatic these early rounds. Defending champions held to a draw by the Kiwis? *:-O

Regards
Maulvi Bakar