Old 06-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Ed Heron

Default copying upstream docs to centos.org

Is there a place, from the upstream provider, where we can download the
multi-file html docs in a single file? Otherwise, I can download each
page manually or use wget to get everything recursively...

Is the footer the only difference? (besides any links)

Do we want to encapsulate each page into the centos site or keep it
printable, like it kind of is, currently.

Do we just copy the current pdf? or do we modify it?

Since the manual is on the main centos.org site, do I need a sine in or
access to start adding the manuals? I should still have an EdHeron
login over there.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:15 AM
Tru Huynh

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 05:29:33PM -0600, Ed Heron wrote:
> Is there a place, from the upstream provider, where we can download the
> multi-file html docs in a single file? Otherwise, I can download each
> page manually or use wget to get everything recursively...

I have attached the multiples plan shell scripts I have used to
pull upstream docs, and fix footer/logo images.

> Is the footer the only difference? (besides any links)
>
> Do we want to encapsulate each page into the centos site or keep it
> printable, like it kind of is, currently.
>
> Do we just copy the current pdf? or do we modify it?
pdf files are the original ones form Red Hat.

I don't think that Red Hat as provided any updated guide, if we are
missing any please point them here or add them to bugs.centos.org.

Cheers,

Tru

Old 06-03-2010, 08:20 AM
Tru Huynh

On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 10:15:01AM +0200, Tru Huynh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 05:29:33PM -0600, Ed Heron wrote:
> > Is there a place, from the upstream provider, where we can download the
> > multi-file html docs in a single file? Otherwise, I can download each
> > page manually or use wget to get everything recursively...
>
> I have attached the multiples plan shell scripts I have used to
> pull upstream docs, and fix footer/logo images.
s/plan/plain

and with the attachment it's better.

Tru

Old 06-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Ed Heron

On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 10:15 +0200, Tru Huynh wrote:
> I don't think that Red Hat as provided any updated guide, if we are
> missing any please point them here or add them to bugs.centos.org.

According to http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/,
Installation Guide was published Mar 2010 and has a 5.5 link. I haven't
compared actual content, though.

Even if there haven't been any updates to guide content, we should link
the guides under 5.5 so people don't think our guides are out-dated.
Out-dated guides are an indirect indication of inadequate project
resources.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Ed Heron

On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 10:15 +0200, Tru Huynh wrote:
> I don't think that Red Hat as provided any updated guide, if we are
> missing any please point them here or add them to bugs.centos.org.

One interesting change is the license. 5.4 and 5.5 Installation Guides
are released under "Creative Commons Attribution - Share Alike" which
appears to grant us the ability to edit it to replace the Redhat logos
with CentOS and to remove the references to RHN as long as we attribute
Redhat and provide a link to the original docs.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:55 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Am 04.06.10 22:48, schrieb Ed Heron:
> On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 10:15 +0200, Tru Huynh wrote:
>> I don't think that Red Hat as provided any updated guide, if we are
>> missing any please point them here or add them to bugs.centos.org.
>
> One interesting change is the license. 5.4 and 5.5 Installation Guides
> are released under "Creative Commons Attribution - Share Alike" which
> appears to grant us the ability to edit it to replace the Redhat logos
> with CentOS and to remove the references to RHN as long as we attribute
> Redhat and provide a link to the original docs.

That looks good, the ones before were under the open document license(?).

Ralph