Old 05-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Phil Schaffner

Default Tips and Tricks: Install from GRUB

Proposed new page for comment:

http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/InstallFromGRUB

Phil

Old 05-26-2010, 02:37 PM
Manuel Wolfshant

Phil Schaffner wrote:
> Proposed new page for comment:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/InstallFromGRUB
>
> Phil

My preferred remote upgrade method boils down to:

#title upgrade
# root (hd0,0)
# kernel /vmlinuz ro root=LABEL=/ vnc vncconnect=192.168.15.2
ip=dhcp upgradeany lang=en_US keymap=us
method=http://192.168.15.40/mrepo/centos5-x86_64/disc1/ ksdevice=link
# initrd /initrd.img

Old 05-27-2010, 12:08 PM
Phil Schaffner

Manuel Wolfshant wrote on 05/26/2010 10:37 AM:
> # kernel /vmlinuz ro root=LABEL=/ vnc vncconnect=192.168.15.2
> ip=dhcp upgradeany lang=en_US keymap=us
> method=http://192.168.15.40/mrepo/centos5-x86_64/disc1/ ksdevice=link

Will be glad to add your example, but I don't quite understand
"root=LABEL=/" - looks like that would point to the hard disks root
filesystem rather than the installer.

Phil

Old 05-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Manuel Wolfshant

Phil Schaffner wrote:
> Manuel Wolfshant wrote on 05/26/2010 10:37 AM:
>
>> # kernel /vmlinuz ro root=LABEL=/ vnc vncconnect=192.168.15.2
>> ip=dhcp upgradeany lang=en_US keymap=us
>> method=http://192.168.15.40/mrepo/centos5-x86_64/disc1/ ksdevice=link
>>

> Will be glad to add your example, but I don't quite understand
> "root=LABEL=/" - looks like that would point to the hard disks root
> filesystem rather than the installer.

My example is adequate (and used) for remote upgrades (hence the
"upgradeany" from the kernel line) rather than fresh installs.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:37 PM
Phil Schaffner

Manuel Wolfshant wrote on 05/27/2010 08:22 AM:
> My example is adequate (and used) for remote upgrades (hence the
> "upgradeany" from the kernel line) rather than fresh installs.

I don't doubt that it works, but still wonder if the root= is a NOP.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Ed Heron

On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 10:30 -0400, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> Proposed new page for comment:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/InstallFromGRUB
>
> Phil

I suggest adding links to some supporting documentation. For example,
you could add a prerequisites section saying this technique or trick
requires the install media available, either on the network or on the
local disk. Instructions for setting up the install media on the
network can be found in the Installation guide, chapter 2.5 Preparing
for a Network Installation
http://centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Installation_Guide/s1-steps-network-installs-x86.html
Instructions for putting the install media on the local disk can be
found in the Installation guide, chapter 2.6 Preparing for a hard drive
Installation
http://centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Installation_Guide/ch02s06.html

It looks like the version 5.2 docs are the most recent on the centos.org
site.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:57 PM
Phil Schaffner

Ed Heron wrote on 05/27/2010 04:27 PM:
> On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 10:30 -0400, Phil Schaffner wrote:
>> Proposed new page for comment:
>>
>> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/InstallFromGRUB
>>
>> Phil
>
> I suggest adding links to some supporting documentation. For example,
> you could add a prerequisites section saying this technique or trick
> requires the install media available, either on the network or on the
> local disk. Instructions for setting up the install media on the
> network can be found in the Installation guide, chapter 2.5 Preparing
> for a Network Installation
> http://centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Installation_Guide/s1-steps-network-installs-x86.html
> Instructions for putting the install media on the local disk can be
> found in the Installation guide, chapter 2.6 Preparing for a hard drive
> Installation
> http://centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Installation_Guide/ch02s06.html
>
> It looks like the version 5.2 docs are the most recent on the centos.org
> site.

Ed,

Thanks for the suggestion. For a short Tips page I'm reluctant to add
too much, and also don't like linking to the obsolete docs. Feel free
to edit the page if you feel differently. :-)

OT: So what's happening with updating docs?

Phil

Old 05-28-2010, 05:21 PM
Ed Heron

On Fri, 2010-05-28 at 11:57 -0400, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> Ed Heron wrote on 05/27/2010 04:27 PM:
> > On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 10:30 -0400, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> >> Proposed new page for comment:
> >>
> >> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/InstallFromGRUB
> >>
> >> Phil
> >
> > I suggest adding links to some supporting documentation. For example,
> > you could add a prerequisites section saying this technique or trick
> > requires the install media available, either on the network or on the
> > local disk. Instructions for setting up the install media on the
> > network can be found in the Installation guide, chapter 2.5 Preparing
> > for a Network Installation
> > http://centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Installation_Guide/s1-steps-network-installs-x86.html
> > Instructions for putting the install media on the local disk can be
> > found in the Installation guide, chapter 2.6 Preparing for a hard drive
> > Installation
> > http://centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Installation_Guide/ch02s06.html
> >
> > It looks like the version 5.2 docs are the most recent on the centos.org
> > site.
>
> Ed,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. For a short Tips page I'm reluctant to add
> too much, and also don't like linking to the obsolete docs. Feel free
> to edit the page if you feel differently. :-)

I feel linking is better than not giving the reader an idea of where to
go next. I felt linking to the obsolete CentOS docs was better than
linking to upstream docs, since that part hasn't really changed. I
suppose if we used
http://centos.org/docs/5/html/Installation_Guide-en-US/ as the base, it
would be re-linked when a document was updated and could (theoretically)
be changed by the translators (assuming alternate language manuals
existed).

> OT: So what's happening with updating docs?
>
> Phil

I had an urge to ask the same about updating CentOS docs, but that is
commonly interpreted as volunteering to lead the task. I'd volunteer to
help, though. Is someone currently in charge of that?
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/ suggests that the CentOS project
redistributes without modification. Since this isn't code, I assume
(subject to correction) that this process is different than the process
at http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General/RebuildReleaseProcess but possibly
similar in some respects for the equivalent rpms.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 05/28/2010 06:21 PM, Ed Heron wrote:
> I had an urge to ask the same about updating CentOS docs, but that is
> commonly interpreted as volunteering to lead the task. I'd volunteer to
> help, though. Is someone currently in charge of that?

Tru has been looking into some of the docs recently, but the 'guides'
section definitely needs an owner and keeper. Thanks for stepping up and
offering to help with this!

> http://www.centos.org/docs/5/ suggests that the CentOS project
> redistributes without modification. Since this isn't code, I assume
> (subject to correction) that this process is different than the process
> at http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General/RebuildReleaseProcess but possibly
> similar in some respects for the equivalent rpms.

The process for the docs is not really the same as the rpms. 'Process'.
End result is that we need to meet the licensing requirements of the
docs as they are posted upstream, and yet be able to change them enough
that they are self contained. I believe the details of the requirements
are mentioned at the bottom of every page of the docs at
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/

- KB