Old 05-21-2010, 04:15 PM
R P Herrold

Default FAQ/General/RebuildReleaseProcess

On Fri, 21 May 2010, Alan Bartlett wrote:

> error. I was lead to believe, after the Lance Davis affair of last
> summer, that there would be no more secrecy or any unilateral
> decisions made by one person.

... you know, it is gratuitious cruft and attempts at
'triangulation' like this that really causes me to dislike
the acrions of some people in this project

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangulation_(psychology)

No one of authority has led you to believe anything on that
topics of 'no more secrecy or any unilateral decisions made by
one person' so far as I know, and comments like this are
simply out of scope here

-- Russ herrold

Old 05-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Phil Schaffner

Karanbir Singh wrote on 05/21/2010 11:04 AM:
> Hi,
>
> On 05/21/2010 03:41 PM, Phil Schaffner wrote:
>> Just updated the subject page
>>
>> http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General/RebuildReleaseProcess
>>

> There is nothing wrong with the process mentioned on that page - its
> just not the one being used in CentOS anymore. So adapting the title and
> the headings on that page should be a good start. Specially important is
> that the overall gist of what is going on is correct ~ rebuilding
> packages, compare to upstream and push it out.

Just noticed my earlier reply went only to Kanrabir, rather than to the
list.

... snip ...

Old 05-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Karanbir Singh

Hi,

On 05/21/2010 05:30 PM, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> OK, thanks - but begs the question - What is the current process?

I published this a while back :
http://www.karan.org/stuff/c5-release-plan.jpeg ; which if you look at -
reflects the same goals and ideas as whats on the wiki page, but uses a
slightly different process. That image, again, no longer reflects the
release process anymore - we made loads of changes to how we do things
for 5.5, some of which paid off while others didn't. So I can imagine
things are going to change again for 5.6 etc.

And its important we reflect that on the wiki page. Whats on the page is
accurate in terms of what we are doing, its just not how we do we do it,
and its not going into the process at all.

For now, I'd recommend changing the title of the page to something along
the lines of 'The CentOS Build plan'. Which would, imho, better reflect
the content under there.

- KB

Old 05-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Phil Schaffner

Karanbir Singh wrote on 05/21/2010 12:54 PM:
> Hi,
>
> On 05/21/2010 05:30 PM, Phil Schaffner wrote:
>> OK, thanks - but begs the question - What is the current process?
>
> I published this a while back :
> http://www.karan.org/stuff/c5-release-plan.jpeg ; which if you look at -
> reflects the same goals and ideas as whats on the wiki page, but uses a
> slightly different process. That image, again, no longer reflects the
> release process anymore - we made loads of changes to how we do things
> for 5.5, some of which paid off while others didn't. So I can imagine
> things are going to change again for 5.6 etc.

I do remember seeing that graphic before, and I understand that the
build process is a moving target. It would still be of value for
educational purposes, for "community relations", for people who want to
create custom variants on the distro, and as a "warm fuzzy" to potential
CentOS corporate/institutional users for "insurance" purposes, to have
the current process openly available.

> And its important we reflect that on the wiki page. Whats on the page is
> accurate in terms of what we are doing, its just not how we do we do it,
> and its not going into the process at all.
>
> For now, I'd recommend changing the title of the page to something along
> the lines of 'The CentOS Build plan'. Which would, imho, better reflect
> the content under there.

I'll have another look at the page in view of these comments.

Thanks,
Phil