-   -   Gnome Automount (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-docs/362949-gnome-automount.html)

Michael Convey 04-27-2010 10:24 PM

Gnome Automount

How do I get a link this page to show up under "Tips and Tricks" in the wiki?

Ralph Angenendt 04-28-2010 02:46 PM

Gnome Automount

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 12:24 AM, Michael Convey <smconvey@gmail.com> wrote:
> How do I get a link this page to show up under "Tips and Tricks" in the
> wiki?

By asking =:)

Done.

Ralph

Michael Convey 04-28-2010 05:39 PM

Gnome Automount

Thanks!

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 7:46 AM, Ralph Angenendt <ralph.angenendt@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 12:24 AM, Michael Convey <smconvey@gmail.com> wrote:

> How do I get a link this page to show up under "Tips and Tricks" in the

> wiki?

By asking =:)

Done.

Ralph

James Allsopp 08-11-2010 09:56 AM

Gnome automount

Hi,
How do I stop gnome automounting a usb hard drive? I ideally need an option, to ask me if I want to mount the drive. This is very annoying when I need to manually mount the drive as read only, as I'm trying to recover data from it.

Done some googling on this, and gnome-volume-manager and gconf are both mentioned, but I dont think I use either of those. I'm using Debian Squeeze.

Thanks!

Camaleón 08-11-2010 10:57 AM

Gnome automount

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:56:55 +0100, James Allsopp wrote:

> How do I stop gnome automounting a usb hard drive? I ideally need an
> option, to ask me if I want to mount the drive. This is very annoying
> when I need to manually mount the drive as read only, as I'm trying to
> recover data from it.
>
> Done some googling on this, and gnome-volume-manager and gconf are both
> mentioned, but I dont think I use either of those. I'm using Debian
> Squeeze.

Yep, that "combo" ("gnome-volume-manager" and "gconf") could work.

Open gconf editor and browse to "apps/nautilus/preferences/", uncheck
"[ ] media_automount". That should avoid auto-mounting USB disks.

Then, you could add an applet to the panel called "disk automounter" and
do it from there.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Camaleón 08-11-2010 11:26 AM

Gnome automount

El 2010-08-11 a las 12:03 +0100, James Allsopp escribió:

(resending to the list)

> On 11 August 2010 11:57, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

> > Yep, that "combo" ("gnome-volume-manager" and "gconf") could work.
> >
> > Open gconf editor and browse to "apps/nautilus/preferences/", uncheck
> > "[ ] media_automount". That should avoid auto-mounting USB disks.
> >
> > Then, you could add an applet to the panel called "disk automounter" and
> > do it from there.

> Just wondering what's causing the automounting at the moment though?
> Ideally all I want is a dialogue to ask me before it automounts.

GNOME implements an "automount" feature in join with udev and
automount-fs, I guess.

About how to get the dialog prompt before mounting a device, dunno if it
is configurable in that way :-? (I barely remember that option was
indeed present in KDE 3.5 but those great days are now gone :-P).

I get a prompt when inserting some sort of media (camera or cell phone
with photos) in oder to perform any action with it but not for mounting
it.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Erwan David 08-11-2010 12:06 PM

Gnome automount

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 11:56:55AM CEST, James Allsopp <jamesaallsopp@googlemail.com> said:
> Hi,
> How do I stop gnome automounting a usb hard drive? I ideally need an option, to
> ask me if I want to mount the drive. This is very annoying when I need to
> manually mount the drive as read only, as I'm trying to recover data from it.
>
> Done some googling on this, and gnome-volume-manager and gconf are both
> mentioned, but I dont think I use either of those. I'm using Debian Squeeze.

check wether you've got usb-automount also. As name says it is used to
automount usb devices.

--
Erwan

Vincenzo Tibullo 08-11-2010 03:53 PM

Gnome automount

2010/8/11 James Allsopp <jamesaallsopp@googlemail.com>:
> Hi,
> How do I stop gnome automounting a usb hard drive? I ideally need an option,
> to ask me if I want to mount the drive. This is very annoying when I need to
> manually mount the drive as read only, as I'm trying to recover data from
> it.
>
> Done some googling on this, and gnome-volume-manager and gconf are both
> mentioned, but I dont think I use either of those. I'm using Debian Squeeze.
>
> Thanks!

Launch gconf-editor, go to /apps/nautilus/preferences, and set
accordingly to your taste the flags media_automount and
media_automount_open

--
enzotib

Lisi 08-29-2010 06:44 AM

Gnome automount

On Wednesday 11 August 2010 12:26:37 Camaleón wrote:
> (I barely remember that option was
> indeed present in KDE 3.5 but those great days are now gone :-P)

Not yet. How about Trinity KDE 3.5.11?

Lisi

Camaleón 08-29-2010 10:11 AM

Gnome automount

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 07:44:59 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> On Wednesday 11 August 2010 12:26:37 Camaleón wrote:
>> (I barely remember that option was
>> indeed present in KDE 3.5 but those great days are now gone :-P)
>
> Not yet. How about Trinity KDE 3.5.11?

Yep, it's a good alternative (and a great effort many people is pleased
with) but I -and this is just my personal taste- prefer to stick with
upstream projects (more eyes behind, easier to manage and integrate...).

KDE4 is still a bit inmature for me and in the meantime I already
switched to GNOME, so no way back, at least for now.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón