Old 04-21-2010, 01:48 PM
R P Herrold

Default u/d Newsletter/1003 by TimoSchoeler

> Fetch the desired duplicity source code from
> https://code.launchpad.net/duplicity/, unpack it and change
> in its directory. There, just issue
>
> + {{{
> - python setup.py install
> + python setup.py install}}}

I see the above fragment in the draft newsletter, and frankly
am disappointed at proposed content not using the packaging
system. It is clearly not a 'best practice'. The item in
question will run as root, and one assumes will over time be
updated and have security fixes.

In a CentOS publication, we should not be proposing installing
time bombs that a later admin 'cannot see'. We are all that
later admin as time packages and we forget the details of a
particular installation

-- Russ herrold

Old 04-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Timo Schoeler

Old 04-22-2010, 01:27 AM
Dag Wieers

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010, Timo Schoeler wrote:

> thus R P Herrold spake:
>>> Fetch the desired duplicity source code from
>>> https://code.launchpad.net/duplicity/, unpack it and change
>>> in its directory. There, just issue
>>>
>>> + {{{
>>> - python setup.py install
>>> + python setup.py install}}}
>>
>> I see the above fragment in the draft newsletter, and frankly
>> am disappointed at proposed content not using the packaging
>> system. It is clearly not a 'best practice'. The item in
>> question will run as root, and one assumes will over time be
>> updated and have security fixes.
>>
>> In a CentOS publication, we should not be proposing installing
>> time bombs that a later admin 'cannot see'. We are all that
>> later admin as time packages and we forget the details of a
>> particular installation
>
> I absolutely agree with you; my 'plan' was to write it that way (in the
> draft), and -- if my spare time allows -- build an appropriate RPM and
> maybe even get it integrated in one of the repos. Then, I could modify
> it to the 'decent way'.
>
> As backup plan, I could just continue and use the not up-to-date
> rpmforge package.

Or provide a SPEC file for a duplicity update in RPMforge. It's not that
hard, but don't expect someone else to do it for you...

--
-- dag wieers, dag@wieers.com, http://dag.wieers.com/ --

Old 04-22-2010, 07:41 AM
Timo Schoeler