Old 01-07-2008, 05:35 PM
"Alain Reguera Delgado"

Default modern-CentOS-1.7-19

Hi guys,

What do you think if we make wiki background a little darker ?, see
the following screenshot:

http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/Wiki?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=modern-CentOS-1.7-18.png

And, what do you think about the following messages style:

http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/Wiki?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=modern-CentOS-1.7-18-msgs.png

The relevant changes from version 1.7-12 to 1.7-19 are:

1.7-19
======

- Update messages style. Add messages orange class.

1.7-18
======

- Update messages style. Add classes green, red, blue, and violet to
let you change the messages image background among these colors.
Also fix spacing between the image and text, they are a bit closer
now. The wiki code of messages is as follow:

||<id="mimg" :^> attachment: here ||||<id="mtxt" (^> text here ||

or with classes:

||<id="mimg" class="red" ^:> attachment here ||||<id="mtxt"
class="red" (^> text here ||

1.7-17
======

- Adjust credits position.

1.7-16
======

- Before this update some links in the top edition bar were
disabled. Due to the style used to locate locationline element.
Now, the locationline elmenet is fixed and the edition links are
fully active again.

1.7-15
======

- Add a comment about wiki instance name, in the install.sh script
file.

- Change the default wiki instance name into wN. Where N is a number.
The default value is `w0' now.

- Update the position of pagelocation links. Now it's moved a little
into the left.

- Update page padding. The page padding is reduced 10px on left,
right and bottom.

- Update html background. Now it is dark.

- Update pre tag code box color background.

- Update lists presentation. The margin between them is a little
reduced.

- Update Admonition Messages style.

- Other minors changes.

modern-CentOS-1.7-19 download link:
http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/Wiki?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=modern-CentOS-1.7-19.tar.gz

Cheers,
al.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Mats Karlsson

Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:

Hi guys,

What do you think if we make wiki background a little darker ?, see
the following screenshot:

http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/Wiki?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=modern-CentOS-1.7-18.png

I wouldn't vote for it, hard contrast changes makes it harder to read
and is causing a higher strain to the eye.
I like the discrete border that breaks the normal text on white
background with what is the border in the current design.

/M

Old 01-07-2008, 07:26 PM
"Tim Verhoeven"

On Jan 7, 2008 8:23 PM, Mats Karlsson <mats.o.karlsson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > What do you think if we make wiki background a little darker ?, see
> > the following screenshot:
> >
> > http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/Wiki?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=modern-CentOS-1.7-18.png
>
> I wouldn't vote for it, hard contrast changes makes it harder to read
> and is causing a higher strain to the eye.
> I like the discrete border that breaks the normal text on white
> background with what is the border in the current design.

Ditto, the only thing I would is maybe to try to darken the squares on
the current design a bit, but to much. To much contrast hampers good
reading. The point of the background is only to guide the eyes to stay
where the text is (a.k.a. the indicate the borders where the text
end).

Regards,
Tim

(Linus Torvalds)

Old 01-07-2008, 09:04 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Jan 7, 2008 12:26 PM, Tim Verhoeven <tim.verhoeven.be@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2008 8:23 PM, Mats Karlsson <mats.o.karlsson@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:
> > > Hi guys,
> > >
> > > What do you think if we make wiki background a little darker ?, see
> > > the following screenshot:
> > >
> > > http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/Wiki?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=modern-CentOS-1.7-18.png
> >
> > I wouldn't vote for it, hard contrast changes makes it harder to read
> > and is causing a higher strain to the eye.
> > I like the discrete border that breaks the normal text on white
> > background with what is the border in the current design.
>
> Ditto, the only thing I would is maybe to try to darken the squares on
> the current design a bit, but to much. To much contrast hampers good
> reading. The point of the background is only to guide the eyes to stay
> where the text is (a.k.a. the indicate the borders where the text
> end).

I agree with this. And if I may make a request, I'd like to see a bit
narrower borders. It should still serve the purpose of indicating the
borders where the text ends. With the way it is now, the background
(both sides combined) is taking up close to 20% of the total width. I
remember one of the main reasons against having the side navigation
bar was that it would waste a lot of screen estate especially when the
page is long. Right now, we are using space that would have been
enough to accommodate the navigation bar.

Akemi

Old 01-08-2008, 11:33 AM
"Alain Reguera Delgado"

On 1/7/08, Tim Verhoeven <tim.verhoeven.be@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2008 8:23 PM, Mats Karlsson <mats.o.karlsson@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:
> > > Hi guys,
> > >
> > > What do you think if we make wiki background a little darker ?, see
> > > the following screenshot:
> > >

> http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/Wiki?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=modern-CentOS-1.7-18.png
> >
> > I wouldn't vote for it, hard contrast changes makes it harder to read
> > and is causing a higher strain to the eye.
> > I like the discrete border that breaks the normal text on white
> > background with what is the border in the current design.
>
> Ditto, the only thing I would is maybe to try to darken the squares on
> the current design a bit, but to much. To much contrast hampers good
> reading. The point of the background is only to guide the eyes to stay
> where the text is (a.k.a. the indicate the borders where the text
> end).

yep ... And if we reduce the size of the squares a bit ? See:

http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/Wiki?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=modern-CentOS-1.7-21.png
http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/Wiki?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=modern-CentOS-1.7-21-msgs.png
http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/Wiki?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=modern-CentOS-1.7-21.tar.gz

I would like to hear the community needs about the actual wiki design.
What do you think the actual design needs ? How do you think we can
improve it ?

I would like to see some impressions to improve what we have now.

Thanks for comments guys.

Cheers,
al.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:01 PM
"Alain Reguera Delgado"

On 1/7/08, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2008 12:26 PM, Tim Verhoeven <tim.verhoeven.be@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/Wiki?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=modern-CentOS-1.7-18.png
> > >
> > > I wouldn't vote for it, hard contrast changes makes it harder to read
> > > and is causing a higher strain to the eye.
> > > I like the discrete border that breaks the normal text on white
> > > background with what is the border in the current design.
> >
> > Ditto, the only thing I would is maybe to try to darken the squares on
> > the current design a bit, but to much. To much contrast hampers good
> > reading. The point of the background is only to guide the eyes to stay
> > where the text is (a.k.a. the indicate the borders where the text
> > end).
>
> I agree with this. And if I may make a request, I'd like to see a bit
> narrower borders. It should still serve the purpose of indicating the
> borders where the text ends.

Tomorrow you'll have a screenshot. Actually we have 10% on each side,
how much you want it to see it reduced ?

With the way it is now, the background
> (both sides combined) is taking up close to 20% of the total width. I
> remember one of the main reasons against having the side navigation
> bar was that it would waste a lot of screen estate especially when the
> page is long. Right now, we are using space that would have been
> enough to accommodate the navigation bar.

Well, actually we have two navigation side bars, one on top and one on
bottom. The actual design let us to do that, and don't look so bad ...
If we make a left hand navibar (i.e. see fedora's one) don't know if
the top and bottom navibars fit on it.

What do you think ?

Cheers,
al.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:27 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Jan 8, 2008 5:01 AM, Alain Reguera Delgado <alain.reguera@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/7/08, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I agree with this. And if I may make a request, I'd like to see a bit
> > narrower borders. It should still serve the purpose of indicating the
> > borders where the text ends.
>
> Tomorrow you'll have a screenshot. Actually we have 10% on each side,
> how much you want it to see it reduced ?

How about 5% on each side?

> With the way it is now, the background
> > (both sides combined) is taking up close to 20% of the total width. I
> > remember one of the main reasons against having the side navigation
> > bar was that it would waste a lot of screen estate especially when the
> > page is long. Right now, we are using space that would have been
> > enough to accommodate the navigation bar.
>
> Well, actually we have two navigation side bars, one on top and one on
> bottom. The actual design let us to do that, and don't look so bad ...
> If we make a left hand navibar (i.e. see fedora's one) don't know if
> the top and bottom navibars fit on it.
>
> What do you think ?

It is all fine as such. While we were still discussing the new design,
I proposed to have a left or right side navigation. But this is not an
issue any more.

Akemi

Old 01-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Karanbir Singh

Akemi Yagi wrote:

Tomorrow you'll have a screenshot. Actually we have 10% on each side,
how much you want it to see it reduced ?

How about 5% on each side?

how about 15px on each side and not use a %'age at all ? I like the
idea of using the screen space that I have

Old 01-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Mats Karlsson

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Akemi Yagi wrote:

Tomorrow you'll have a screenshot. Actually we have 10% on each side,
how much you want it to see it reduced ?

How about 5% on each side?

how about 15px on each side and not use a %'age at all ? I like the
idea of using the screen space that I have

I like that, many websites is using the same amount of screen that a
u-boat has through the periscope.

And a question:
Whats the reason for changing the visual layout on the wiki?
From my view its quite appealing and visually correct, The only thing I
would like to change, the space below a "header" and normal text should
be shorter than the space below the text, it looks like it is the same now.

Back to the original question:

http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/Wiki?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=modern-CentOS-1.7-21.png
I can agree that todays light squares is hard to see when I have to much
background light, so a tad darker, maybee...

http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/Wiki?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=modern-CentOS-1.7-21-msgs.png
I have used the {{{ for code examples and liked the pastel peach color
instead of the extremely dark background in the msgs examples. I would
suggest to use soft/pastel colors instead of so bright colors in the
1.7-21 example.

/Mats

Old 01-09-2008, 01:44 AM
"Alain Reguera Delgado"

On 1/8/08, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> Akemi Yagi wrote:
> >> Tomorrow you'll have a screenshot. Actually we have 10% on each side,
> >> how much you want it to see it reduced ?
> >
> > How about 5% on each side?

Here it is:

http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/Wiki?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=modern-CentOS-1.7.22.png
http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/Wiki?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=modern-CentOS-1.7.22-msgs.png
http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/Wiki?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=modern-CentOS-1.7.22.tar.gz

> how about 15px on each side and not use a %'age at all ? I like the
> idea of using the screen space that I have

Sure ... here it is:

http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/Wiki?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=modern-CentOS-1.7.23.tar.gz

At the moment of this post I wasn't here... the screenshot will be soon.

Cheers,
al.