-   -   How to back up a running KVM guest (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-docs/267630-how-back-up-running-kvm-guest.html)

Julian Price 03-21-2009 08:59 PM

How to back up a running KVM guest

Hi

Please create a page on the wiki for a HowTo with the subject:

"How to back up a running KVM guest"

This will explain how to use LVM to take a snaphot of a KVM guest's
virtual
hard drive and rsync it to a remote backup server.

I have a prototype running but there are still many issues to be
resolved affecting performance, security, reliability, automation.* I
intend to
include a to-do list so that others can contribute.* The to-do list is
quite long so it's unsuitable for a single forum or mailing list post,
where discussion about various points on a single thread could get
confusing.* Maybe individual issues could be posted in the forum for
discussion.

Are
wiki pages created in a hidden state and made visible when they
reach the required quality?

Please also
grant permission for me to alter the KVM HowTo:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/KVM

...so I can add the salient points from this forum post...

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=19034&forum=38

Thanks,

Julian Price

Ralph Angenendt 03-21-2009 10:10 PM

Julian Price wrote:
> Hi
>
> Please create a page on the wiki for a HowTo with the subject:
> "How to back up a running KVM guest"

Okay, let us call it BackupKVMGuest :)

> Are wiki pages created in a hidden state and made visible when they
> reach the required quality?

No. They aren't linked, but if someone searches for them, they will be found.
I don't see a compelling reason to change that.

> Thanks,
> Julian Price

I'll do so after you tell me if JulianPrice is your wiki account =:D

Cheers,

Ralph_____________________________________________ __
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org

Scott Robbins 03-21-2009 11:00 PM

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 12:10:08AM +0100, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Julian Price wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Please create a page on the wiki for a HowTo with the subject:
> > "How to back up a running KVM guest"
>
> Okay, let us call it BackupKVMGuest :)
>

> I'll do so after you tell me if JulianPrice is your wiki account =:D

As the original author of the KVM article, I'm quite happy with someone
taking it over and updating it. I fear that VirtualBox has become so
covenient, I haven't used KVM in months and months, so can't really
continue to properly maintain the article with changes that occur.

Thank you Julian.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: She's playing you. She tried to kill you.
Angel: That was just. . . That was just a cry for help.
Buffy: A cry for help is when you say Help in a loud
voice.

Ralph Angenendt 03-22-2009 09:51 AM

Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>> Thanks,
>> Julian Price
>
> I'll do so after you tell me if JulianPrice is your wiki account =:D

Okay, done. And: Can we keep discussion on list on not fall back to "private"
mails? Thanks.

Ralph_____________________________________________ __
CentOS-docs mailing list
CentOS-docs@centos.org

Julian Price 03-24-2009 04:46 AM

How to back up a running KVM guest

Hi Ralph

Thanks for setting up the page.

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/BackupKVMGuest

I have written a first draft and I will improve it over the coming
days.* But is it going in the right direction?* When I get to the next
milestone I'll post the link to the Virtualization mailing list asking
for feedback.

How do I make the title appear as a title but not appear in the
contents?

>> Can we keep discussion on list on not fall back to "private"

On other lists I'm a member of it's normal to send messages direct
rather than to the list unless the content is of general interest.*
This reduces the number of people who opt for digests to reduce the
noise, so speeds up communication.* However, I can see this is not
consistent with CentOS ethos of open-ness and collaboration.* So yes, I
will reply to all CentOS lists in future, unless it's obviously not
appropriate e.g. security related.

I also noticed how quickly you people reply in both forums and lists,
which is great - I will try to keep up the pace.

I do not appear to have permission to edit my home page:

http://wiki.centos.org/JulianPrice

Does that come later after I have written some acceptable articles?

Thanks,

Julian

Ralph Angenendt 03-24-2009 08:58 AM

Julian Price wrote:
> Hi Ralph
>
> Thanks for setting up the page.
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/BackupKVMGuest
> I have written a first draft and I will improve it over the coming days.
> But is it going in the right direction?

I'm going to take a look at it later on.

> How do I make the title appear as a title but not appear in the contents?

#pragma section-numbers 2

in the "head" of the page should do the trick (just before the title is
okay).

> >> Can we keep discussion on list on not fall back to "private"
> On other lists I'm a member of it's normal to send messages direct
> rather than to the list unless the content is of general interest. This
> reduces the number of people who opt for digests to reduce the noise, so
> speeds up communication. However, I can see this is not consistent with
> CentOS ethos of open-ness and collaboration. So yes, I will reply to
> all CentOS lists in future, unless it's obviously not appropriate e.g.
> security related.

Thank you. It's easier for people to keep track of things when they
don't have decide if an answer to a mail in their inbox could be of
public interest or not. Keeps down thinking, which sometimes is a
process that hurts :)

> I do not appear to have permission to edit my home page:
> http://wiki.centos.org/JulianPrice
> Does that come later after I have written some acceptable articles?

Try again. It's not created automatically (and not everyone requests
it).

Cheers,

Ralph