Old 12-23-2007, 04:50 PM
Karanbir Singh

Default Short postgrey guide?

Ned Slider wrote:

Hi Guys,

Are you interested in a brief guide on how to set up postgrey (anti-spam
greylisting) with postfix? I set it up today and it took me a while to
get it working as the config is slightly different from that on many of
the googled guides (many are debian/ubuntu based). The darn config file
lives in /etc/sysconfig on RH/CentOS rather than /etc/default as
mentioned in all the guides I found!

quick question here - isnt it actually better to just use postgrey over
a named socket rather than over a network socket ?

Old 12-23-2007, 07:08 PM
Ned Slider

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Ned Slider wrote:

Hi Guys,

Are you interested in a brief guide on how to set up postgrey
(anti-spam greylisting) with postfix? I set it up today and it took me
a while to get it working as the config is slightly different from
that on many of the googled guides (many are debian/ubuntu based). The
darn config file lives in /etc/sysconfig on RH/CentOS rather than
/etc/default as mentioned in all the guides I found!

quick question here - isnt it actually better to just use postgrey over
a named socket rather than over a network socket ?

Hi Karanbir,

Do you mean a unix socket? (that's a question asked out of ignorance on
my behalf rather than a statement!). I think by default it was binding a
unix socket but I didn't know how to configure it hence why I bound it
to localhost/tcp:60000 - it was the only way I could figure out how to
get it working (I don't really understand how unix sockets work).

Anyway, if you can point me in the right direction, I'm happy to try and
can amend the article if you think it's better that way (maybe you could
also explain why unix sockets are preferable to a network socket -
security maybe??)

Alternatively, you are more than welcome to jump in and amend the
article as you see fit in true Wiki style

Regards,

Ned

Old 12-23-2007, 07:14 PM
Karanbir Singh

Ned Slider wrote:
Anyway, if you can point me in the right direction, I'm happy to try and
can amend the article if you think it's better that way (maybe you could
also explain why unix sockets are preferable to a network socket -
security maybe??)

check_policy_service unixostgrey/socket
in the smtpd_recipient_restrictions = line is all you need, and postfix
will check on /var/spool/postfix/postgrey/socket

which is what postgrey will listen on.

Security is one reason, better load handling is another. There is a lot
less resources required to setup and teardown a unix socket than a
network socket.

Alternatively, you are more than welcome to jump in and amend the
article as you see fit in true Wiki style

I could, yes - but just wanted to make sure there wasent anything else
in the mix ( like the postgrey chap suddenly recommending everyone just
use a unix socket )

Old 12-23-2007, 09:14 PM
Ned Slider

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Ned Slider wrote:
Anyway, if you can point me in the right direction, I'm happy to try
and can amend the article if you think it's better that way (maybe you
could also explain why unix sockets are preferable to a network
socket - security maybe??)

check_policy_service unixostgrey/socket
in the smtpd_recipient_restrictions = line is all you need, and postfix
will check on /var/spool/postfix/postgrey/socket

which is what postgrey will listen on.

Great - thanks. Got that working so I'll update the page

Security is one reason, better load handling is another. There is a lot
less resources required to setup and teardown a unix socket than a
network socket.

Thanks for the explanation

Old 12-24-2007, 09:05 PM
"Alain Reguera Delgado"

On 12/17/07, Ned Slider <nedslider@f2s.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys,

Could we add the following image:
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postgrey?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=postgrey-en.png

I found the article very clear and easy to read. I would like to thank
you with this image, if it helps of course. If some modification is
needed, tell me please, I will be glad to fix it.

Cheers,
al.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Ned Slider

Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:

I found the article very clear and easy to read. I would like to thank
you with this image, if it helps of course. If some modification is
needed, tell me please, I will be glad to fix it.

Cheers,
al.

Thanks Alain - nice image and explains the concept well.

Any objections to adding it from anyone?

Old 01-13-2008, 11:14 PM
Karanbir Singh

Ned Slider wrote:

Could we add the following image:
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postgrey?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=postgrey-en.png

Thanks Alain - nice image and explains the concept well.

Any objections to adding it from anyone?

Please go ahead and add it. It looks clear enough to me.

btw, I just decimated your article with loads of other info that people
might find interesting. All of that came from my head, so if someone can
technically proof read it once would be appreciated.

- KB

Old 01-14-2008, 07:15 AM
Ned Slider

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Ned Slider wrote:

Could we add the following image:
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postgrey?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=postgrey-en.png

Thanks Alain - nice image and explains the concept well.

Any objections to adding it from anyone?

Please go ahead and add it. It looks clear enough to me.

Alain - please would you add your diagram... I'm not sure how to go
about uploading/adding a picture to a Wiki. Once I've seen how you do it
then I'll know for future reference!

btw, I just decimated your article with loads of other info that people
might find interesting. All of that came from my head, so if someone can
technically proof read it once would be appreciated.

- KB

Nice additions - thanks!

Rereading, I did find a typo in my own earlier stuff
/etc/postfix/mail.cf > main.cf, now fixed.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:25 AM
"Alain Reguera Delgado"

On 1/14/08, Ned Slider <nedslider@f2s.com> wrote:

> Karanbir Singh wrote:
> >>>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postgrey?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=postgrey-en.png
> >>
> >> Thanks Alain - nice image and explains the concept well.
> >>
> >> Any objections to adding it from anyone?
> >

> > Please go ahead and add it. It looks clear enough to me.
>
> Alain - please would you add your diagram... I'm not sure how to go
> about uploading/adding a picture to a Wiki. Once I've seen how you do it
> then I'll know for future reference!

Of course ... it is into a table, in order to center it on the page.
Feel free to move its position.

Cheers,
al.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Ned Slider

Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:

Of course ... it is into a table, in order to center it on the page.
Feel free to move its position.

Thanks Alain - looks great!